• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lupin the Third: Part 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
From what I gather, it might just be that Lupin's taking the title from Lupin the Second. It may be tying everything together, but it may not be explained that well either.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah she pretends she's avenging her husband (and Jigens role in his death) by threatening to kill Jigen with it (remember the mafia thought he did it) but the gun isn't loaded. In the second telling of the origin which takes place in the A Woman Called Fujiko series Fujiko is inserted into the origin story, the wife Cicciolina whose in charge of the mafia after her husbands death a couple of years later hires Fujiko to steal Jigens (whose now working for the Chinese) Magnum, the Dons gun, but only to force a life or death confrontation between Jigen and herself. In the original telling during the Lupin series the same events happened but years earlier and Fujiko wasn't involved.

You could say she's atoning or freeing him of the consequences and danger of loving her and her actions. However her previous marriage was very unhappy and she was a manic depressive who only enjoyed satisfaction from sex, there had been suicide attempts (which was part of the Jigens bodyguard role, stop her killing herself), she seduced him the professional side of him was devastated that he betrayed his employer by sleeping with his wife and getting him killed. Her suicide by Jigen allowed him to move on with his life but also allowed her to end her depressive suffering.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
In the original telling during the Lupin series the same events happened but years earlier and Fujiko wasn't involved.

When was this story told in the original series? Are you referring to the manga? I’ve never seen it play out in any media outside of the Fujiko Mine series but if it originated from the manga that would actually make a lot of sense as being the inspiration of that episode.

SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Shinichirou Watanabe btw denies the whole "Lupin is a huge influence on Cowboy Bebop" thing, or at least he did in the interview for my book.

Wait, didn’t he say that it was heavily inspired by part 1? I thought this was confirmed, but if the man himself denied it...

I mean, intentional or not, I still see a lot of similarities and potential influence.

And yeah, there are a lot of players in the current arc, fancy names and titles, I can’t blame some people for getting a bit lost in it all.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Shinichirou Watanabe btw denies the whole "Lupin is a huge influence on Cowboy Bebop" thing, or at least he did in the interview for my book.

Wait, didn’t he say that it was heavily inspired by part 1? I thought this was confirmed, but if the man himself denied it...

He said he liked Part 1 and was influenced by it a bit but less than other things, and seemed kinda frustrated by the comparison. (I'm guessing maybe he gets that a lot?)

I think it's more that they both draw on common genres and archetypes and are probably the best known anime in the U.S. that do, so it's easy for American viewers to make those comparisons, but it sounded like he was more influenced by Japanese live-action TV series and other stuff that didn't make it over here or was less popular. Or older stuff that would be less relevant to viewers today. When I showed a Cowboy Bebop episode in a class I was TAing this semester, my professor remarked that its aesthetics (especially in the opening) seemed similar to him to a lot of 1960s spy thriller movies and TV shows like James Bond, The Avengers, etc. and I think Lupin also draws on that, too (especially since the franchise started during the same time period)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
So looks like Fujiko was on vacay for the whole arc. Smile Now I wonder who was behind that mask...

I also wonder what the emphasis on blindness was about in this arc. I was a bit ahead of Goemon's gambit against Chloe, but I didn't foresee Albert using practically the same move, and that girl was already blind in one eye (unless she could see through the patch). It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine Revenant got a couple spikes to the eyes as well. Weird.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I definitely think Albert will make a return, and that we’ll learn more about him and his relationship with Lupin along the way. This arc did a smart job of giving him just enough development that we wanna know more about him, which was really effective as I’m sold on the guy. That may be the biggest surprise of this series so far, how much I’m liking the new characters. I really hope Ami makes a return too.

Also DANG this episode was gory and brutal. Can’t believe the review didn’t even bring that up. Part 5’s already proven it’s not afraid to show the darker side of Lupin and company and have them kill in cold blood (similar to part 1), but this took it to a whole new level. That being said, it was totally hardcore and their actions were certainly relatively justified given their situations. The goemon fight scene was amazing and very reminiscent of his Koike film. I did feel kinda bad for the little girl though. :’(

Overall I’d say that this arc felt pretty cinematic in that it played out more like a film compared to the first arc which had a more segmented and cliffhanger structured narrative. I think the latter lenses itself better to weekly episodic viewing, whereas this feels more appropriate to binge watch. Not sure which I prefer, both were fantastic as has been the series overall so far. I can only hope for more of this level of quality in the second half.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
WatcherZer wrote:
In the original telling during the Lupin series the same events happened but years earlier and Fujiko wasn't involved.

When was this story told in the original series? Are you referring to the manga? I’ve never seen it play out in any media outside of the Fujiko Mine series but if it originated from the manga that would actually make a lot of sense as being the inspiration of that episode.

I seem to remember it was during the 3rd part, Pink Jacket, though may have been during the 2nd.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
While I thought this story arc was excellent, and this finale had quality, I felt a little cheated out of that political angle they set up in the previous episode, which amounted to nothing in the end. Why even involve that politician? Kind of a wasted element.

But yeah, as it's been mentioned, this episode is pretty brutal. Not The Blood Spray of Goemon Ishikawa brutal, but brutal. Lupin and the gang did not play around here. That scene with Goemon and the tips of that one killer's finger nails... yikes.

Looking forward to seeing a Red Jacket episode next time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 was not my thing. I can't even remember the last time Fujiko was portrayed as such a shallow bimbo who brings no useful skills to the table but just tags along for money and squeaks and complains about everything.

I also thought that the Pablo angle got dropped too fast. After the race ended, I assumed they'd keep looking into his stuff and figure out how he ended up dead in one of his cars, or properly take out the enemies who attacked them earlier, or anything, really. Some of the plot threads just didn't come together at all.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
Haven't finished the episode yet but I just have to note that I love how they remade the Part II OST background track "Danger Zone" (that's what it was called when I imported the CD onto iTunes, but it seems to be called "Dangerous Zone" on YouTube, so I don't know) for the race scene.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:
Episode 11 was not my thing. I can't even remember the last time Fujiko was portrayed as such a shallow bimbo who brings no useful skills to the table but just tags along for money and squeaks and complains about everything.

Pretty much this. I said before in the thread I wasn't a fan of earlier series of Lupin, and Fujiko was a big reason why (that and not nearly enough Goemon for me Wink I'm looking forward to next episode). She's still not my favorite character, but I don't dislike the more recent versions of her.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Kind of a mixed bag of an episode. I do like "red jacket Lupin" (though I protest the line of thought that the jackets represent specific story tones), Part II, and this episode shows that while Lupin is constantly leering at Fujiko, he still cares about his male comrades, and the three of them are willing to sacrifice for the others.

Fujiko was treated kind of poorly in this, though, especially since unlike in most of Part II, she didn't betray Lupin or ditch him for the loot. I felt uncomfortable at the lengths they went with Lupin's intrusive lust, even for a Part II-style episode.

Even weirder, what was with that payoff with the Pablo collection? Do cars also have ghosts? What went on with that race? Was it real? Then they just drop it.

Overall, an okay episode, but nothing fantastic. I'm curious about the Goemon episode next week, though.

Revolutionary wrote:
Haven't finished the episode yet but I just have to note that I love how they remade the Part II OST background track "Danger Zone" (that's what it was called when I imported the CD onto iTunes, but it seems to be called "Dangerous Zone" on YouTube, so I don't know) for the race scene.

I was really happy to hear that tune during the race. It really gave it the Part II feel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:30 am Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:

Yeah, that bothered me, too. It's especially weird because Part II Fujiko tends to be more competent than even Lupin; a lot of Red Jacket episodes end with her outsmarting him and taking the treasure of the week for herself.

In general I thought this episode wasn't bad, but it was the weakest episode of Part V so far. What was going on with that race? We got no explanation for why the cars went from pristine to broken down. Was it a ghost? A hallucination? Was present-day Lupin remembering things wrong? Also, the episode set up this major opposing force and then not show us how the gang overcame it, instead focusing on a really minor squabble that it suddenly decides is going to be the emotional crux of the story. This episode was just all over the map.

Oh well. They can't all be classics. Luckily the rest of Part V has been terrific so far.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I was reminded of the very early episode with the car race. I can't recall which one it was.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It was a little weird to have Goemon "turn against" Lupin, but it might be a reference to some earlier versions of the series. Goemon is introduced in the manga as Lupin's enemy, and ends up as his adversary at one point in the original "Green Jacket" anime (Lupin the Third: Part I). Plus Goemon doesn't really understand Lupin's obsession with women and becomes frequently annoyed by it, so it makes sense that falling for a girl himself might put him at his wit's end.

It's pretty well establish canon throughout the history of the show, OAVs and the movies for Goemon to fall head over heels for women, especially in Parts II & III though, so this is not at all out of character for him to turn on Lupin. Even Lupin calls out to Goemon's history of bad luck with women.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10