• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD Hero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I got that, it's just that they've fought countless super bad guys in the past whereas this is one of the first fights in which they're basically fighting friends, or at least people they are on good terms with, in a friendly match, and yet there's so much emotion and major plot developments in this fight. It feels like this would fit in the final fight against Cao Cao or some other major threat to the world with countless lives on the line, not a televised sports event in which there's nothing much as stake.

although, to be fair, many sports anime end up practically being life or death battles with emotions all over the place so it's not too far fetched in that aspect heh.
James S.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I got that, it's just that they've fought countless super bad guys in the past whereas this is one of the first fights in which they're basically fighting friends, or at least people they are on good terms with, in a friendly match, and yet there's so much emotion and major plot developments in this fight. It feels like this would fit in the final fight against Cao Cao or some other major threat to the world with countless lives on the line, not a televised sports event in which there's nothing much as stake.

although, to be fair, many sports anime end up practically being life or death battles with emotions all over the place so it's not too far fetched in that aspect heh.

Technically, there are some political repercussions for both sides depending on who wins. However Sirzechs and Azazel said in an earlier episode to let the adults handle the political bs and that teams Gremory and Bael should focus100% on the fight to the best of their abilities.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

Haha that’s basically how I saw it all yeah, that and Issei if anything totally mad at himself for seriously underestimating just how insanely powerful Sairaorg truly was. Also while I feel bad for Rias getting beaten one sidedly off screen, Issei gets one punched right after so hey~
This episode was absolutely beautiful and wonderful, and I can’t believe this show has gotten to this point. Bring on that finale~!
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Issei's anger seems out of proportion to what's going on. He knows it's a contest and that Sairaorg wasn't seriously trying to kill or be sadistic. I get that he doesn't like seeing his friends get beaten, but going into a killing-level rage over what happened is excessive

They did a shoddy job explaining this, but the gist of it is that Juggernaut Drive (of both Divine Dividing and Booster Gear) come with a curse that influences the user with the negative emotions of past users to enter the mode. I'm not 100% sure, but i think that's why he was that blood thirsty and as why the senpai started screaming for juggernaut drive as soon as Issei was nailed hard enough. As a side note, the curse's what the pretty boy was using Divide on.

PS: If we get a season 5, start building an altar to Fanservice. You shall never be forgotten.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
And you gotta love the dub. Laughing Laughing Episode 8 just came out and Issei started calling Rias' "President" out of nowhere, even tho he called her Rias since day 1 in the dub.

Haha that’s been a change since the beginning of Hero’s dub actually, Issei hasn’t called her “Rias” once. It’s an unfortunate corner the dub wrote itself into for S1-3 and honestly retconning it rather than trying to write around it is probably for the best. It’s still an absolutely wonderful dub though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:
Issei's anger seems out of proportion to what's going on. He knows it's a contest and that Sairaorg wasn't seriously trying to kill or be sadistic. I get that he doesn't like seeing his friends get beaten, but going into a killing-level rage over what happened is excessive

They did a shoddy job explaining this, but the gist of it is that Juggernaut Drive (of both Divine Dividing and Booster Gear) come with a curse that influences the user with the negative emotions of past users to enter the mode. I'm not 100% sure, but i think that's why he was that blood thirsty and as why the senpai started screaming for juggernaut drive as soon as Issei was nailed hard enough. As a side note, the curse's what the pretty boy was using Divide on.

PS: If we get a season 5, start building an altar to Fanservice. You shall never be forgotten.

Was that actually explained in the novels, as far as the curse playing with his emotions? If that was the case then that makes a lot more sense, but the anime never gave any indication as to that. It just seemed that he's suddenly willing to kill an opponent (who's not even an actual enemy) because his friends just got defeated, which just seemed completely out of character. Maybe there was something lost in translation between the novels and anime.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
Nah I kinda figured it was the Juggernaught Drive messing with him, he even had the big evil eyes and everything. But yeah they probably should’ve added a little more exposition there, but hey~
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Completely agree with the last point, Issei's anger seems out of place and is the only thing that got me a little back in this awesome episode.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:

Was that actually explained in the novels, as far as the curse playing with his emotions? If that was the case then that makes a lot more sense, but the anime never gave any indication as to that. It just seemed that he's suddenly willing to kill an opponent (who's not even an actual enemy) because his friends just got defeated, which just seemed completely out of character. Maybe there was something lost in translation between the novels and anime.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned right here, but yes, the curse of juggernaut drive is definitely a thing explained already in the LN.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Man, Episode 11 had to be one of the franchise’s most memorable and also one of the franchise’s least fanservicey. Laughing I’m glad to see that this series has managed to avoid an unfortunate fate in this day and age of only receiving one or two seasons max, then never getting an ending that anime-only fans can be satisfied with. This, Seitokai Yakuindomo, and the To Love-Ru series are ones that I personally don’t think many people would expect to receive as many episodes (at least in the manner of how they got them) as they currently do and I’m really happy about, at least from my view, how the people behind the adaptations are in it for the long run. Looking forward to next week’s episode and hopefully, a season 5 isn’t too far away from now.
lycopene

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
And you gotta love the dub. Laughing Laughing Episode 8 just came out and Issei started calling Rias' "President" out of nowhere, even tho he called her Rias since day 1 in the dub.

Haha that’s been a change since the beginning of Hero’s dub actually, Issei hasn’t called her “Rias” once. It’s an unfortunate corner the dub wrote itself into for S1-3 and honestly retconning it rather than trying to write around it is probably for the best. It’s still an absolutely wonderful dub though.

Yeah, new person adapting this season. While she's certainly doing her best to stay reasonably faithful to what is actually being said and not stay too far from pervious scripting efforts so it still feels like the same show, it is still somewhat difficult to adjust to issei calling her President nearly all the time when he only said it a few times in the pervious seasons
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

actually he did in the last ep of seasons 1, 2 & 3!

so technically he has called her by her first name in the dub!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:45 am Reply with quote
Im surprised no one bothered to mention Sairaorg looking like one of the gold saints on steroids. Sure the reference is obvious to any Saint Seiya fan but damn does it look too awesome to ignore
James S.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:38 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll delayed their sub. The reason? Clearly no one realized that there was an extra scene after the credits! Holy smokes, if this doesn't confirm a Season 5 then let my faith in humanity be destroyed again.

spoiler[It doesn't help that Ishibumi's been obsessing over how the MCU does things for their movies recently.]
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
James S. wrote:
Crunchyroll delayed their sub. The reason? Clearly no one realized that there was an extra scene after the credits! Holy smokes, if this doesn't confirm a Season 5 then let my faith in humanity be destroyed again.

spoiler[It doesn't help that Ishibumi's been obsessing over how the MCU does things for their movies recently.]

I figured something mightve happened but I didn't expect that. I dont mind a season 5 but I wish they could do something about the character designs. I share Theron's issues about it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10