• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD Hero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James S.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Well, after being disappointed by DxD season 3, i tried to watch the first two real episodes of DxD Hero

Emphasis on tried for multiple reason, one of them being the censorship; while i understand it being needed, the way Crunchy does it is obstructive and very immersion breaking to the point of me looking for less reputable sources as it were

This leads to my second reason, and this is probably going to start an awkward discussion if this goes wrong, but I'm finding the basic subtext, metanarratives and archetypes typical of Harem to be, for a term I will have to elaborate on, inhuman.

When I say inhuman, i refer to how the interactions and character personalities feel as Miyazaki might say based on the tropes of the medium rather than human observation. I started thinking about this during the small scene with Issei staring at Rias's mom. It's presented as a simple gag for only a few seconds but I started to question what the equivalent situation in reality would play out as. I started realziing that the situation would be much more messy and more anger inducing for the girlfriend than the show portrays.

I then started applying this thought process to the rest of the show and well, to go point by point

-The characters are constructed archetypes rather than actual characters. Akeno is a big example as in the LN, she is stated to be spoiler[dependent on men] but the character personality isn't intricate enough, elaborated on besides the tragic backstory, and the detail isn't played with enough. In reality, that type of detail would result in a lot of issues and discussion in a relationship but here, it's played off as a reason for Akeno's attachment to Issei.
-The basic idea of the girls not having any harsh feeling or contention between them feels very odd given that most people outside of relationships or romantic interactions don't interact this well.
-Iseei being dedicated to Rias while still wanting a harem feels off as human desire and lust can form attachment to others in a way that would disrupt the single monogamous relation

I could go on but the long and short, the characters and situation are not human and that pulls me out of the proceeding at my age and time of life.

I will admit that i'm overthinking but this is an issue i've had with harem and to some extent anime as a whole for a while. I really do wish that there was a counter or decontruction to harem though I heard Scum's wish might do that for me.

On one hand, you are definitely overthinking this, however I disagree on the point that you shouldn't be thinking about this mentioned by an earlier poster. While other series you can get away with not thinking about it *cough* To Love-Ru *cough* and as much as I love said series, DxD is typically one of the few you can think about just fine and still enjoy the franchise.

Anyways on the point of how things seem more like archetypes instead of actual people:
1. Basing it off your initial statement, there's a joke in there where I can claim that all the girls in Issei's harem are not human anyway so your question is meaningless but I'll skip that for now.

2. The DxD characters are definitely constructed archetypes, but only to a certain point. Character development exists for a reason and the DxD anime has finally reached the point in the series where that starts to become a lot more prevalent. On a side note, as much as I love the earlier seasons of DxD, TNK didn't manage to accurately portray some of the character development that should have happened in season 3 due to the whole fiasco of BorN developing into original content. Therefore any character development that should have been witnessed wasn’t and you’re left feeling like they weren’t developed much at all.

As a result of that, Passione now makes the anime, the retcon Episode 0 happened, and any allusions to a previous season that seem to come out of nowhere now exist since Passione actually is faithfully adapting the source material now and not continuing from the stupidity of the entirety of BorN. Except the moments involving the intensity of Juggernaut drive in the opening and the main anime. They did pretty well on that and I've watched the Season 3 OP several times for that segment alone.

3. The relationships between Issei and the girls and all the girls with each other are definitely possible in real life, as mentioned by another poster earlier. However, as it's not as common in many first world technologically advanced countries, the United States included, the idea comes off as foreign and impossible outside of fantasy to the average person who has not personally experienced those cultures. That's also a potential reason as to why you may feel the relationships are inhuman as you put it.

4. I mentioned earlier about a joke revolving around how none of Isseis harem is human, that point actually is relevant. While some of Issei's harem were formally human or partially human (Asia, Akeno, Xenovia, and Irina), all 4 are intimately connected to the supernatural and thus their mindsets are different to the average, primarily-English speaking country human.

Plainly spoken: Akeno is a half-Fallen Angel who after her mother was murdered at a young age was reincarnated into a devil by Rias and grew up with her. Fallen Angels have no problems with harems, neither do devils, and it’s already been mentioned that Rias’ mother is the manager of Rias’ father’s harem, so therefore both of them would have grown up with the idea of harems being normal.

Asia, Xenovia, and Irina grew up in the church, however harems exist in the bible, King Solomon being the most famous one, and the notion is frowned upon depending on which branch of the Judeo-Christian or Islamic church you are a part of. Considering DxD has merged all the legends from Judeo-Chrisitanity and Islam into one despite showcasing different branches, this also translates to them. Also consider the fact that other religions and mythologies exist, all of which are aware of the other, and all of which has some sort of polygamy or polyandry going on with some of the major players of each religious/mythological faction, meaning that as far as the supernatural is concerned, harems are pretty normal and not something to really bat an eye about.

But hey, let’s add more information to contemplate. Don’t forget that Asia and Xenovia later become devils and are now subject to the fact that they don’t have to care about several of the values that were enforced in their particular branches of the church, a point in which Xenovia is quick to notice and that even though Irina is now an angel, Michael himself, who is basically the leader of the angels with God dead, is encouraging her to keep her relationship with Issei. Just from this you can see how the supernatural has led their mindsets to harems being alright.
After all that, the less that is said about Issei’s harem that is not human (Rias, Koneko, and Rossweisse among others who are spoilers) the better as you have one Devil which I’ve talked about earlier, a Nekomata which in the DxD setting is a female-only race and such harems and whatnot are a major way they can even exist as a species, and what constitutes as essentially a minor god from Valhalla, a Valkyrie, where their job is to take the souls of dead heroes to a place where they can live eternally with as much food, drink, and women as they so please.

5. You mentioned earlier about how the scene where Issei was ogling Rias’ mother would translate in real life. That right there is your problem and the answer to your problem. In real life, devils, angels, dragons, and whatnot don’t exist. In real life, most of the people who post here on ANN would not have to deal with multiple women chasing them or have to be in a situation where others would view a harem as okay.

It’s like all those medieval fantasy and ikesai stories where they’re transported to a fantasy world in a medieval time period that exist currently. The time period is different and therefore all modern values commonly attributed to the major western countries are thrown out the window as it’s impossible for them to apply. What makes sense now in 2018, doesn’t make sense in the past of the 1400s or in a world similar to that time period, just as how what makes sense to supernatural entities doesn’t make sense to us who have nothing to do with the supernatural.

For other series where your question pops up, it’s a lot more understandable. To Love-Ru, well TLR Darkness anyway, is primarily about a guy with a modern mindset (Rito) being tempted into the idea of a harem by a girl with a literally foreign and alien mindset (Momo) and you can also see throughout the series how he also can’t come to terms with the idea initially.

Anyway, concluding this post is the point that, in DxD-verse, harems are normal to the supernatural. This is the main thing you have to take away from this post. How it is for the humans of DxD is unknown for the most part because quite frankly, DxD isn’t about humans as much as you’d think. spoiler[*cough* Despite what happens this season *cough*] As a result, mindsets different from the typical modern one dictate what goes on in this series and you shouldn’t let it worry you too much thinking about what it would be like in the real world simply because the typical modern mindset is not compatible with the mindset primarily featured in High School DxD.

I hope this was able to answer some of your questions.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
@ James S. - Great, well-written post. You make a lot of solid points and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Ep 3,

The power creep is real, leader of the fallen angels gets blown away with one attack by the first major enemy they fight this season. Although I wonder if that is because the other guy is really strong or just his weapon is really strong, Longinus being pretty famous and all. And yes this is the Xenovia I love and remember, always after Issei's jeans, I mean genes.

btw, I havn't read the novels but I remember last season Issei saying he was going to eventually split off and start his own team, and Xenovia and Asia were going to go with him, but it doens't seem that anything has happened in that area. There seemed to be a few events in the novels skipped over between last season and this one, was his leaving one of those things?
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:10 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 3,

The power creep is real, leader of the fallen angels gets blown away with one attack by the first major enemy they fight this season. Although I wonder if that is because the other guy is really strong or just his weapon is really strong, Longinus being pretty famous and all. And yes this is the Xenovia I love and remember, always after Issei's jeans, I mean genes.

btw, I havn't read the novels but I remember last season Issei saying he was going to eventually split off and start his own team, and Xenovia and Asia were going to go with him, but it doens't seem that anything has happened in that area. There seemed to be a few events in the novels skipped over between last season and this one, was his leaving one of those things?

spoiler[The enemy himself is quite strong. One of the strongest humans in the world in fact but his weapon is in a league of its own. You'll see why soon.]

As for Issei going independent spoiler[that doesnt happen until very late into the series. The anime does indeed skip some events of vol 9 which they are now trying to include by means of flashbacks. It works but it also makes you question its chronological placement in the show]
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
If there is one good thing I can say about this whole series is that I'm glad TNK and director Tetsuya Yanagisawa are no longer associated with this thing.

and how is that a good thing!????

TNK and tetsuya did great with the previous two season. Born , not so much!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kevruth
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
I'm with the reviewer on the flash back that was kind of out of the blue. They really should have started that scene with text "About a month ago....". That would have at least helped explain things.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Heishi wrote:
If there is one good thing I can say about this whole series is that I'm glad TNK and director Tetsuya Yanagisawa are no longer associated with this thing.

and how is that a good thing!????

TNK and tetsuya did great with the previous two season. Born , not so much!!!

Tetsuya literally made BorN the way it was without the LN author and the rest of tNK’s permission, and as such, they had to go with it.

Ichibei Ishibumi himself outright apologized for the horrible quality of BorN.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

Tetsuya literally made BorN the way it was without the LN author and the rest of tNK’s permission, and as such, they had to go with it.

Ichibei Ishibumi himself outright apologized for the horrible quality of BorN.

that much i know of, though in a recent article, he did say it was necessary in some parts.

and there was some things that was well received. one of them is having rias in her own version of the scale male! so much so that there was actually a non canon spinoff version of that chapter!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
we love lain

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
" Granted, the previous season had its fair share of problems with animation consistency, but only at its worst did it look this unappealing. It improves a little as the episode goes on, but at no point during this episode could I call the character animation more than mediocre at best."

And yet the mediocre character animation here is still better than what we used to get in the previous seasons. I think a systematic breakdown of the animation differences is necessary real soon because some people have rose-tinted lenses glued on regarding how the first three seasons looked (either that or they are comparing screenshots that don't properly elucidate the differences between the changes in the visuals) Granted, this episode was the weakest in terms of animation and the series as a whole hasn't taken advantage of the character artstyle as much as i hoped it would, but the facial animation on the characters has improved from the first 3 seasons.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
For those who didn't notice, Ithe part in the closet after Irina's wings come out where the light's go out. That part is just Irina almost falling. xD

Also, just so people know. All these parts with Koneko, Ria's and Akeno weren't in the light novel. They didn't appear in this arc. We're getting these scenes cause Ishibumi asked the studio to give them some shine xD
Mojave

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
After a few episodes, I do mostly prefer the new character designs, for everyone except Rias. That being said, the animation at the beginning of this episode was certainly rough. Blurry, washed-out, and overall just very unappealing. It did get better later in the episode, but I was genuinely surprised at how bad the animation at the beginning was.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Random question, and this time not related to a metaanalysis

Do you think the power combat of DxD will be any good? I didn't mind the fights in the first two seasons; they were fun and creative. But so far, we only really have Issei vs Sairoag as reference and I want to know what people think will happen in episode 4.

I also ask because currently, my reference is a bit skewed after Episode 22 of Fate/Apocrypha which, while not good in choreography, had good animation and art, and cool effects so my thoughts would be very wonky if i tried to grade DxD
Randomuser

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm slowly getting used to the new animation. But at times, it's still hard to watch it. Especially due to the facial expressions, eg Kiba's expressions.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I deleted a couple of posts. Just report trolls. Better you don't reply to them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Theron when was the last time you actually watched the first 3 seasons of DxD? Not liking the designs is a personal preference of course, but the character animation is better now than it has ever been. I rewatched the first 3 seasons right before this season started so it's still fresh in my mind and the complaints about the animation just really are not applicable here. I have since watched each episode of this season 3 times as well (once on CR, once on the uncensored stream, and another creating fan service highlights) and i am failing to see all the inconsistencies and lapses in animation. The beginning of episode 3 might not have been the highlight of the episode, but frankly you're giving the first 3 seasons way too much credit in the animation department.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10