• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Watch Out for Fakes: How to Spot a Saekano Utaha Kasumigaoka Bootleg Figure

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:

For a retail price before exchange rate of about $100.00 dollars. While the bootleg will cost cost you $35.00 dollars or so on average on Ebay from China.

$35 is actually very lucrative in some cases. I have seen popular figures as low as $15 and $12. It happens a lot for Nendoroids, and we've all seen pictures of the hilariously designed bootlegs, but some buyers are still willing to take a chance with that price. (The 'how many sold' on Ebay listings might be part of the scam as well, but these numbers are usually very high.) This is all proof of the age-old adage: "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is." Be wary of buying any kind of figure from China, Taiwan, and Singapore on Ebay specifically.
Violynne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
bin1127 wrote:
Look closely at the hair's similarity. And the overall model doesn't look too bad. My guess is the model maker hocked a shipment out the backdoor every time it makes a run.

Close. Probably sold the cast once production was completed.

These figures are made in China, and it's well known companies share information frequently.

GSM has a hard fight against it. Many people couldn't care less if the item is a knockoff. Collectors will, but most just want a piece of the show without spending a dump truck's worth of pennies on it.

The price for figures today isn't what it used to be, but this isn't surprising.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The resemblance is uncanny!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Dad: Why are you looking up your figurines skirt, son?
Son: I'm just checking for fakes!

It's also For Academic Purposes (FAP).
overlordrae

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
Generally if the mold is sold, it's broken down enough that the details are not as defined or sharp as it is in the figure. If the figure itself is recast in parts, then, again, the details aren't as defined, most things are a tad thicker and often separate parts of raised surfaces don't come through in the recast. This looks more like a recast to me, with some attempts to badly bring back detail into the figure.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
overlordrae wrote:
Generally if the mold is sold, it's broken down enough that the details are not as defined or sharp as it is in the figure. If the figure itself is recast in parts, then, again, the details aren't as defined, most things are a tad thicker and often separate parts of raised surfaces don't come through in the recast. This looks more like a recast to me, with some attempts to badly bring back detail into the figure.

"Broken down" as in through normal wear and tear as it was being used to make the official stuff?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2