• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Steins;Gate 0

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The best episode (ep18) got D+ !!!!. I think stein gate 0 (and original one) is overrated. But episode 18 is easily the most entertaining episode so far in stien gate 0 because at least it has something happening and also good action
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I hated this episode. I'd drop the series but I'm too far in to quit (I'm stubborn like that). I'm SO SICK of kyouma's "shocked" face....every.damn.episode. We get it, he's shocked by EVERYTHING all the time. But not Mayuri, she just hops right into it and finds none of this confusing. The craptacular production isn't helping of course but like the review said for episode 18, I just don't care about anything that's going on. We knew the villian ages ago, none of this was clever, cool, or surprising. The whole thing is sloppy. That entire episode was monologue with a few gun shots thrown in to distract people from how boring it was.
gacha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
The best episode (ep18) got D+ !!!!. I think stein gate 0 (and original one) is overrated. But episode 18 is easily the most entertaining episode so far in stien gate 0 because at least it has something happening and also good action

Well, now you probably get why people usually invert ANN scores whenever looking up a review to see if an episode is any good.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:

If you turn that D+ upside down, you get a C-
Jonattan Van Der Horst

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:

You must be joking, this episode was absurd and is my second worst episode of Steins;Gate 0. You are one of those people that are easily amused by mediocrity.

Just because you saw some action scenes in this episode doesn't make this episode the best one for fucks sake, the action scene was atrocious here, this looked like those god-damned filler episodes from naruto with all the bullshitery going on with Kagari double lariat decapitation bullshit and terminator type of endurance tanking those bullets like nothing is happening and you find this good? how old are you? I would forgive that type of shit if this was a shounen anime but it is not.

This episode sucked, Steins;Gate 0 has been a disappointment so far, the only extremely good episode was episode 8. This series doesn't hold a candle to the original Steins;Gate, that one was the masterpiece.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
The coming episodes will definitely make or break this show. Slipping into territory so over the top that Kagari is doin' double decapitations bare handed like she's the goddamn Wolverine is, uhh, something alright, and I hope that's about as far as they go with that.

I ended up liking the unsurprising villain reveal more than I thought I would, since the framing of "Okabe meets an actual Mad Scientist" is kinda cool.

Thinking on this more, it is kind of funny how now that Okabe is Mr. Normie, he gets sucked into an Actual Anime Plot, with gloating bad guys and sexy super acrobatic murder ladies and everything.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Good for you people who liked the episode, but I found this easily the worst episode of SG0 so far. I would probably go as far as to say this is the worst anime episode this year.

Most of my gripes with the episode are already covered by the review; a cartoonish villain who is just one step away to being able to cameo in a 60s James Bond movie, action scenes were horrific, and some of the narrative choices were outright mind-boggling.

And on top of that, I'm also going to point out that the animation doesn't help with the quality either. Like, I know the SG franchise isn't known for the most fluid animation, but pretty please, at least make the goddamn characters move during the action pieces. Also, and I know that this isn't going to be popular, but I've never been so annoyed at Mamoru Miyano's voice since Ousama Game (it's also probably because of the fact that some of the lines in this episode are just so reminiscent of that shitshow).

SG0 so far reminds me of Darling in the Franxx: It started off strong with a slow buildup of its overall plot and excellent character pieces, peppered with throwbacks to earlier series; followed by a long, arduous slice-of-life story arc that overstayed its welcome. And when the big plot hits again, it's just disappointing.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Jonattan Van Der Horst wrote:

You must be joking, this episode was absurd and is my second worst episode of Steins;Gate 0. You are one of those people that are easily amused by mediocrity.

Just because you saw some action scenes in this episode doesn't make this episode the best one for fucks sake, the action scene was atrocious here, this looked like those god-damned filler episodes from naruto with all the bullshitery going on with Kagari double lariat decapitation bullshit and terminator type of endurance tanking those bullets like nothing is happening and you find this good? how old are you? I would forgive that type of shit if this was a shounen anime but it is not.

This episode sucked, Steins;Gate 0 has been a disappointment so far, the only extremely good episode was episode 8. This series doesn't hold a candle to the original Steins;Gate, that one was the masterpiece.

That's just your opinion. If you want to stay on this site, you're going to have to be more accommodating to viewpoints that aren't your own.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
MasterGhost wrote:
I would probably go as far as to say this is the worst anime episode this year.

There are far worse episodes that have aired this year. Ep 18 wasn't that bad (but it was still really bad).

The one thing I was thinking as the professor was gloating his way through his monologue (aside from how bad the episode was) was (spoilers for original Steins;Gate) spoiler["Is...is this how Okabe figures to send himself a message? Really? Really?!"]

I mean, I guess the prof wanting to do it to "see if he can" is kind of neat, but as James said, it's still the same world domination thing. If he didn't say "remake the world as I see fit" then I would've been more generous, but nope, he's still just being a hammy villain.

I am seriously disappointed with White Fox's work with S;G 0, they had much better action scenes in Re:zero, but I guess that team is working on the OVA.
Vent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
If I had to describe the action scenes in this show with one word it would probably be "tragic".
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
Should have known the reasonably handsome male character who wasn't the protagonist would be evil.

D+ is too generous for this atrocity.
feitan000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Steins;Gate 0 is garbage, disappointing af
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, unlike the first anime adaptation, which butchered all actual science but was great enough to be supported with storytelling techniques and proper execution of plot devices (even because the first VN was very linear), this one absolutely destroys everything the VN is structured to be trying to adapt its content in a very stupid way that could be avoided by using the very scientific elements of 0 to construct a way better paced and coherent narrative overall (this one even screws up the time overall, even going as far as not following any specific dates, and instead, trying to tie-in routes in the same way as they did with the first one, when a very twist uses timeline changes to separate the full circle of the plot (not to be spoilerific, there are two main branches in the VN that go opposite directions and work very well as a layered narrative all things considered).

0's anime ruins not only the whole hard science behind it much like the first anime did (cutting hour long infodumps about how the time travel and its full concepts even work with the story they are trying to tell with them), but not only that, also ruins the way the story was presented and properly handled overall by trying to put everything together in an "exciting" way at the "boring" yet extremely important information heavy beginning, and choosing to adapt well in slow pace the worst part possible (first branch's Antinomic Dual and Recursive Mother Goose) that could have been easily handled even better in animated form by cutting short the SoL trivialities and unnecessary fanservice bits.

In the VN, being part of a bigger picture and with good use of counterpart foreshadowing for the other side of the circle that compounds the two-way ends of the source material, it works like a charm and wouldn't quite bother anyone reading besides being pretty slow, but in this adaptation, especially after so many stupid modifications and omissions, the result is just disastrous.

In short, a very bad adaptation of a VN that is just as great as the original, if not to be considered its missing half with everything you were missing of the complete picture.

I could enter in details on how they could even fix this adaptation in this number of episodes without going out of their way to mess up the whole storyline, if anyone is interested.

The only thing missing for the first S;G to be a great adaptation and solve a lot of plot holes was a whole episode dedicated to explain the science behind it (done in a huge lesson by Kurisu's in Okabe's university + revealing key points down the road during story progression, which could have been added much like in the VN without problems if only they even used the actual thing once) and some extra minute (hell, even one extra minute could have the job done if the context was there to be seen) on the last episode to explain the time machine and how it works during Okabe's and Suzuha's second travel to the past.

In this anime instead, everything is missing hard, especially when anime-only people don't even have context of the science of the first one, which is very very important for this one to even get going by the time the second half of each branch goes full force. And not only that, the plot structure is pretty much just as butchered, not to say incoherent at times with the explanations and flat with the overall twists, like this one.

For anyone wanting to know why did this episode went so wrong with the reveal, it was because Leskinen's face-heel turn happened in the other branch in a much more subtle and well pieced way according with Okabe's every action and mentality during that time.

Each branch give him a different kind of character development and interaction with specific characters, even.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
To be honest at this point I'm mostly just hoping the OVA is good. Think the show itself is safe to call a loss at this point.
tee2330

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those animes where if you enjoy it, and don't really see anything wrong with it or don't have any gripes, and just like it for what it is. You'll find it very hard to figure out why the people who dislike it hate it so much.

SAO you could understand why people didn't like it, but you could enjoy it anyway, pretty much all harem anime that ever existed you can see why people don't like the show if you like them. But if you're a fan of steins;gate and liked Steins;gate 0 and didn't have any problem whatsoever with it, well besides okabe taking [expletive] forever to do anything, than you'll find it hard to figure out why people dislike it.

I still can't for the life of me figure out how an episode got a D besides the shit actin scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9