• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Steins;Gate 0

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JapariBus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
This is one of those animes where if you enjoy it, and don't really see anything wrong with it or don't have any gripes, and just like it for what it is. You'll find it very hard to figure out why the people who dislike it hate it so much.

I still can't for the life of me figure out how an episode got a D besides the shit actin scenes.

I too don't understand what exactly folks don't like outside of a few people with well reasoned critiques.

I enjoyed the last few episodes very much. It feels exciting and in line with things I enjoyed about the original S;G. However, I also have never touched any of the VN's (despite forgetting till just now that I own a copy on PS3 that I never even opened).

I even thought the action scenes were somewhat fun. To each his own though.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I am also with those who have been enjoying Steins;Gate 0 just fine. It’s almost as if there’s two different shows with the same name going on, and I’m honestly scratching my head here over such an occurrence. I can see how the animation could be improved considering that it’s White Fox, but besides that, nothing has really tipped me off so far. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Azumi14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
The only issue I having is that many of the alternate ending were not included in the Anime from the LN. Major spoilers if the anime is going like the LN. spoiler[Stein gate 0 is going toward the LN ending. The ending will be Okabe sending himself a message to his past self. The message is where he figures out the fake blood trick. Mayuri just left to the point in time that the other Mayuri stop him from going back to save Kurisu the successfully time. Once Mayuri return to the past then Mayuri can give him the slap to give him the courage to try one more time. In the end this will tie in to first Stein Gate]. If they are going to use the LN as the source material.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Azumi14 wrote:
The only issue I having is that many of the alternate ending were not included in the Anime from the LN. Major spoilers if the anime is going like the LN. spoiler[Stein gate 0 is going toward the LN ending. The ending will be Okabe sending himself a message to his past self. The message is where he figures out the fake blood trick. Mayuri just left to the point in time that the other Mayuri stop him from going back to save Kurisu the successfully time. Once Mayuri return to the past then Mayuri can give him the slap to give him the courage to try one more time. In the end this will tie in to first Stein Gate]. If they are going to use the LN as the source material.

Couldn't quite read the LNs for S;G nor S;G0
What would be the difference between those and their VN source material?
stefand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
Ep. 20 is quite a change of pace.
Put what bothers me most is:
Did it really have to take 20 episodes for Okabe to stop his self pity and get his act together to actually try to find this bloody Steins Gate?
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:02 am Reply with quote
stefand wrote:
Did it really have to take 20 episodes for Okabe to stop his self pity and get his act together to actually try to find this bloody Steins Gate?

Depression's rough man.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
And as usual, the reviewers of ANN seem to be watching a completely different show than I am.
stefand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Depression's rough man.

OK, i was a little harsh.
Lets put it that way: I can understand, how he feels anderen why, and why he did not want to use the time leap machine. He needed this shock to finally act. But i did understand this latest after episode 2. Why waste 20 episodes in which nearly nothing happened?
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
And as usual, the reviewers of ANN seem to be watching a completely different show than I am.

And I somehow seem to be watching the same show as the reviewer.

Anime's subjective, let's not forget about that.
RangerDanger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:06 pm Reply with quote
^I don’t see why that needs to be pointed out in this case when the poster you’re quoting is basically only disagreeing with the reviewer. Nowhere from that person’s post was there a sense that there’s a right or wrong way to watch/react to something, so while it’s fine to disagree over series, part of your reaction towards the person you quoted feels superfluous.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:53 am Reply with quote
Honestly even in the game the Ruka thing was stupid and needless. Really just felt like scrambling to try to find something for him to do.
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:03 am Reply with quote
One of the things I liked about the original was everything was kept low key, the time travel was largely just the affects of doing some really basic things. The apocalyptic futures were never seen and left to the imagination. So it was a great disappointment to actually visit this future, because it would never be as interesting as what you have in your head. It's the silly things like the whole lab members running a resistance operation in the same place for 30 years, Faris still having her hair and cat ears whilst in military garb, that kind of stuff that ruins the illusion that this could possibly take place in the real world.

Steins;Gate 0 has been a mess of really interesting ideas but never really going anywhere with them, and falling back on familiarity with the original. The whole perfect AI replacing a lost loved one really never went anywhere.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the Ruka thing was really handled poorly but everything else was on point, that should be more than enough to round out the episode.
Also, like is anyone gonna stop and take in that they basically tortured future okabe so severely that they essentially destroyed his mind???
I mean at this point okabe should be scared shitless but he still manages to power through this fear and continue to fight.
The same okabe who spent 20 episodes suffering severe PTSD.
I'd say this is a huge leap in his character, at the very least in his courage.
I think the only time Okabe ever met a fate this bleak was in a bad end in the first steins gate VN where spoiler[Nao goes super crazy in a bad end and tortues okabe to death then time leaps an absurd amount of times from 2025 to attack okabe again]
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
I agree that the Ruka thing was really handled poorly but everything else was on point, that should be more than enough to round out the episode.
Also, like is anyone gonna stop and take in that they basically tortured future okabe so severely that they essentially destroyed his mind???
I mean at this point okabe should be scared shitless but he still manages to power through this fear and continue to fight.
The same okabe who spent 20 episodes suffering severe PTSD.
I'd say this is a huge leap in his character, at the very least in his courage.
I think the only time Okabe ever met a fate this bleak was in a bad end in the first steins gate VN where spoiler[Nao goes super crazy in a bad end and tortues okabe to death then time leaps an absurd amount of times from 2025 to attack okabe again]

Just like with how he believed Suzuha about WW3, I don't think it's really registering with him that he was actually tortured. He was told it happened and there is enough evidence that he could believe it, but he didn't personally experience it. He only "survived" having his mind broken because they reset him to their most recent not-broken save file—the moment he tried to make the jump back in 2011.

The thing that pushes him forward is seeing Ruka die in his arms and finally witnessing what his choices in the past have done to the world and (more importantly) his friends.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
stefand wrote:

Depression's rough man.

Perhaps, but his reasoning was always that time was never meant to be changed, and he didn't want people to suffer the same futile fate as him. In the end though, he's really just trading Mayuri's life for BILLIONS, which is just ridiculous. It's what makes Daru punching and yelling at him earlier so damn satisfying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9