• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia to Air on Toonami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
really wish they'd expand more beyond older shows and Shounen

Well they have had stuff like Tokyo Ghoul and Parasyte (and Attack on Titan, if you’re one of those people) that don’t fit in either category, so they clearly do other stuff.

Those all ran in shonen manga magazines, they're just slightly more violent than the likes of Dragon Ball, My Hero Academia, Hunter x Hunter and Black Clover.
Toonami hasn't had a seinen or original (not based on manga) show in a while, discounting Gundam. But they're getting 2 new seasons of FLCL that they produced themselves, so that should fix it!

Parasyte was published in Kodansha's Afternoon magazine which is a Seinen magazine. Tokyo Ghoul is Seinen since it was publish in Young Jump. Tokyo Ghoul still feels Shonen to me since it felt like something that edgy kids and teens would enjoy.

I do agree more Seinen on Toonami would be nice. Like serious Seinen, not Pseudo Seinen like Tokyo Ghoul and Dimension W. Shonen always been Toonami's bread and butter since day one.
TheArsonAut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this has finally happened. Now they only need Blue Exorcist 2 dub.

Would still like to see them try something different from shounen. Kids need smarter stuff on top of the excitement MHA will bring.

Something like Rakugo Shinjuu, March Comes in Like Lion, or even ReZero (to get your basic Japanese anime craziness). Steins gate 0? Woman known as Fujiko Mine? Death Parade?

I would like at least one show that treats people like humans to make up for the fact that they only air shounen since for some reason after the 90s they decided that young Americans can only handle the most idiotic action subject matter at all times.

If you want a classic, what about Serial Experiments Lain? Ergo Proxy?

Original Patlabor series would be amazing, including movies, a little after the prime block, but of course now I'm dreaming.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
the folks at Toonami did want Fujiko Mine, but all the censoring that would require killed that idea pretty fast
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
TheArsonAut wrote:
Something like Rakugo Shinjuu, March Comes in Like Lion, or even ReZero (to get your basic Japanese anime craziness). Steins gate 0? Woman known as Fujiko Mine? Death Parade?

If you want a classic, what about Serial Experiments Lain? Ergo Proxy?

Original Patlabor series would be amazing, including movies, a little after the prime block, but of course now I'm dreaming.

Re:Zero I can see, but I was flat-out told not to watch Steins;Gate 0 without knowing the story, so that wouldn't make sense.

By Death Parade, do you mean that one from last season? I couldn't get past episode 2 in that.

And Lain isn't likely, because it's even more cerebral than GitS, and GitS only did as good as it did because it also has action.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
By Death Parade, do you mean that one from last season? I couldn't get past episode 2 in that.

Death Parade came out over three years ago back in January 2015. I'm not even sure what show you're referring to.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Death Parade came out over three years ago back in January 2015. I'm not even sure what show you're referring to.

Probably Death March
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was mistaken on which series it was.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
Funimation wrote:
Awe Yiss. Very excited to bring it to Toonami! Great day for anime.

a little too long for my taste.

wouldn't have been better if both this series and black clover shown their TV broadcast eps first before it showed online?? and considering on how well dragonball super is doing cause the eps was shown on toonami first and how tokyo ghoul didn't do so hot since it was shown on AS years after it was released on DVD (Hell, most people thought that it was a sign that season 3 would be shown on AS) more or less proves my point!

while i'm always been a diehard toonami faithful since the 90's, most people aren't! and if they saw them online, they might not have the incentive to watch an old ep again on TV!

so while i am glad the series is showing on AS , it might not excite enough people if their already watching new eps online!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
wouldn't have been better if both this series and black clover shown their TV broadcast eps first before it showed online?? and considering on how well dragonball super is doing cause the eps was shown on toonami first

Uh... DBS just aired episode 60 last week on Toonami. Crunchyroll has all 131 episodes up. It was online before Toonami.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I believe JR is referring to the DUB. Dragon Ball Super is one of 3 Dub Premieres currently on Toonami; JoJo and Hunter × Hunter are the other 2.

And I kinda hope Season 4 of MHA is October 2019. Only then could Toonami catch up to the Japanese airing of the show to air dub premieres of Season 4!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
I believe JR is referring to the DUB. Dragon Ball Super is one of 3 Dub Premieres currently on Toonami; JoJo and Hunter × Hunter are the other 2.

And I kinda hope Season 4 of MHA is October 2019. Only then could Toonami catch up to the Japanese airing of the show to air dub premieres of Season 4!

that would be an accurate theory though, though the odds that funi will even allow that is slim unless those old TV eps brings in a lot of viewers which RARELY IF EVER HAPPENS!

however, the biggest test on that theory would be on what happens to black clover since its dub eps are 6 behind of the online premieres. if they decide to have a possible season two of black clover on toonami first in the near future, then you might be on to something!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Toonami is still around. People forget that not everyone uses streaming websites. You have casual anime fans or the ones that no longer keep track of the newest anime to watch anime.

I do think MHA would work better for Disney Anime hyper since it is a Shonen series that would fit well with their superhero shows. Sure it would be edited, but at least you have the episodes uncut on home video and streaming unlike back in the day with DBZ, Sailor Moon and several others on kids networks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3