• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia to Air on Toonami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
About time more people need to watch this amazing show. Kinda sad Jojo is at 12:30AM again especially since I have to always work on Sundays. xD
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
About damn time. Is Dragon Ball Z Kai really doing that well? I find it very weird that they keep giving such high priority to an abridged series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
About damn time. Is Dragon Ball Z Kai really doing that well? I find it very weird that they keep giving such high priority to an abridged series.

The Dragon Ball block does well. Though Kai is almost done, so unless they're going to repeat it, the schedule will probably change again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
really wish they'd expand more beyond older shows and Shounen

Well they have had stuff like Tokyo Ghoul and Parasyte (and Attack on Titan, if you’re one of those people) that don’t fit in either category, so they clearly do other stuff.
MeisterMitch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
v1cious wrote:

The Dragon Ball block does well. Though Kai is almost done, so unless they're going to repeat it, the schedule will probably change again.

Well Kai does End in 2 months so it looks like MHA will possibly take it's place when it's done. Also Looks like Demarco was on point about 1 of the Future Acquisitions.
https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/984046198742028289
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
About time more people need to watch this amazing show. Kinda sad Jojo is at 12:30AM again especially since I have to always work on Sundays. xD

Actually, this is the first time JoJo will regularly air in a slot that isn't midnight.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
MHA being on Toonami is cool, but not happy with Jojo and BC being pushed back. Guess I'm back to going to bed at midnight and using On Demand on Sunday...
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Thought this was tied up in other rights like streaming, so glad they got it. Curious for the other stuff DeMarco's teasing.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Considering how long the dub has been out, I'm worried about a repeat of the Tokyo Ghoul/Attack on Titan season 2 situation. Those shows had massive fanbases, but they didn't show up for the Toonami airing. In My Hero Acadmia's case, it will spend a few weeks behind Kai, which has pretty big drops from Super. Maybe MHA can convince people to stick around for Kai, but we'll see. The last instance of two shows above one million was Samurai Jack and Dragonball Super. If Kai holds, there is hope. The big issue is that I don't know what "good" ratings are any more. Black Clover's ratings were virtually identical to Titan Season 2 and JoJo, but those shows never got the boot like One Piece did. I'm guessing that 700,000 is the "safe zone" to avoid deathslotting, but I'm not sure. If MHA gets above that, it should be safe. Considering the love this show gets, I am confident it will meet this benchmark
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
really wish they'd expand more beyond older shows and Shounen

Well they have had stuff like Tokyo Ghoul and Parasyte (and Attack on Titan, if you’re one of those people) that don’t fit in either category, so they clearly do other stuff.

Those all ran in shonen manga magazines, they're just slightly more violent than the likes of Dragon Ball, My Hero Academia, Hunter x Hunter and Black Clover.
Toonami hasn't had a seinen or original (not based on manga) show in a while, discounting Gundam. But they're getting 2 new seasons of FLCL that they produced themselves, so that should fix it!
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I always knew that MHA would gain a lot more popularity and mainstream recognition enough to the point that once when it airs on Toonami, it's pretty much set in stone that it would reach that path and for that, congrats to MHA finally reaching that stage!

Since the first three seasons will be airing on Toonami and will last from May 2018 to July 2019, I wonder if it will start airing the fourth season at that time too. Regardless, congrats to Toonami finally getting an anime series that everyone wanted to see air in that block and I wish I could say the same for YTV before they went downhill from here.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:10 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Toonami expanding the block to this size once again. Though I kind of wish CN would've used MHA for the afternoon / evening timeslots to break up the monotony of Teen Titans Go and bring back anime to these time slots like they did years ago with Naruto and Kenshin.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Nice to see Toonami expanding the block to this size once again. Though I kind of wish CN would've used MHA for the afternoon / evening timeslots to break up the monotony of Teen Titans Go and bring back anime to these time slots like they did years ago with Naruto and Kenshin.

Without Toonami, Cartoon Network would only have Ballmastrz as the closest thing to Anime. No more Anime in the daytime. They even dropped Pokemon so it can go to Disney X-D.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
Black Clover is really getting pushed around. The overhype that Japan and Crunchyroll tried to force on it as "the next big thing", only for it to underperform due to being a poor man's Fairy Tail, must really sting. And now Toonami's stuck with it for another eight months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Black Clover is really getting pushed around. The overhype that Japan and Crunchyroll tried to force on it as "the next big thing", only for it to underperform due to being a poor man's Fairy Tail, must really sting. And now Toonami's stuck with it for another eight months.

Another studio could have made it work maybe? Unfortunately I couldn't get past the first two episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3