• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Hathaway Film Trilogy, Overseas Gundam UC2 Drama Teased

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The article needs correcting:

Quote:
Most of the story of Fukui's Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn novel series and Sunrise's anime adaptation is set in the year UC0097, and Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative is described as being set mainly after Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn's story.

The series and novels are set in 0096. Narrative is set in 0097.
michaelarroyo01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Hathaway’s Flash is a story where one of the main characters from the original series’ son turns against his father and joins a military group that wants to destroy everything his father represents.

It’s Kylo Ren. He’s basically Kylo Ren! I’d bet $10 the only reason they’re thinking about doing Hathaway’s Flash is because of Kylo Ren!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
michaelarroyo01 wrote:
Hathaway’s Flash is a story where one of the main characters from the original series’ son turns against his father and joins a military group that wants to destroy everything his father represents.

Ugh, thanks for describing Kylo Ren in a way that makes me realize his backstory is just a less interesting version of Jacen Solo's from the Star Wars Expanded Universe. I could have done without that particular revelation. Sad
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Are they going to try to get Nozomu Sasaki to voice Hathaway again or just recast the role entirely? I know his voice has changed drastically since the 80s so I don't know if they'll have him return.
I know Bright Noa's going to be Ken Narita again probably.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
The Origin, Thunderbolt, and Twilight Axis aren't featured on that chart. I don't know much about the Twilight Axis story so I can't really comment on it but the other two I don't really consider canon. I wonder if they're exclusion on that chart means that Sunrise doesn't officially consider them canon either?
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
The Origin (I'm guessing we're talking the prequel anime here) has some inconsistencies against the original anime, so it makes sense that's not on there. I'm not sure about Thunderbolt or Twilight Axis. That'll be pretty bizarre if we just had THREE non-canon UC spin-offs.

Which reminds me, this whole project would finally slot Hathaway's Flash into proper UC anime canon. So if they make any changes, that would effectively be the "real" version, I guess.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
A lot of the reason why I don't consider Thunderbolt canon is because of the designs. That could just be me being picky.

I've never read any of Hathaway's Flash but I was under the impression that it takes place after Beltorchika's Children. Would they have to make any significant changes to the story in order to make it fit into UC cinematic canon?
Curemaster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:46 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Are they going to try to get Nozomu Sasaki to voice Hathaway again or just recast the role entirely? I know his voice has changed drastically since the 80s so I don't know if they'll have him return.

Well, he did it on the last several SRW games, where he voiced both version of Hathaway (younger CCA version and the older Hathaway's Flash version). So unless he refuses to voiced him or the studio decides to do a recast, he will still voiced Hathaway.
pajmo9 wrote:
I've never read any of Hathaway's Flash but I was under the impression that it takes place after Beltorchika's Children. Would they have to make any significant changes to the story in order to make it fit into UC cinematic canon?

The biggest one that they had to make is that spoiler[Hathaway was the one who killed Quess, instead of Chan Agi]. But it's pretty doable, since the result is the same grief-stricken Hathaway.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
Not really all that enthused about a Hathaway-centric film series, but I'll probably watch it anyway. It appears to be set 10 years after CCA, so I hope the little twerp has grown up into a likeable character.

But if they bring back Quess I will be pissed.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Not really all that enthused about a Hathaway-centric film series, but I'll probably watch it anyway. It appears to be set 10 years after CCA, so I hope the little twerp has grown up into a likeable character.

But if they bring back Quess I will be pissed.

If Quess is back it will probably be only as a ghost. Unless they are going to seriously take Tomino's retconning seriously and not have her die which in that case they wouldn't be able to do a Hathway Flash type story because isn't her death part of the reason he becomes what he does later on?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

It's not just mean toward Hathaway, it's mean toward Bright. After all the crap he's been through, he didn't deserve that to happen to him, even if he does eventually recover.

Maybe he should've gave him one of those famous Bright slaps and told him not to fall in love with naive young girls who fall in love with well intentioned extremists might've saved a couple of lives in the process.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

It's not just mean toward Hathaway, it's mean toward Bright. After all the crap he's been through, he didn't deserve that to happen to him, even if he does eventually recover.

Maybe he should've gave him one of those famous Bright slaps and told him not to fall in love with naive young girls who fall in love with well intentioned extremists might've saved a couple of lives in the process.

He did Bright slap Hathaway during the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2