• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
20 Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1998

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
Kouta has stated that Alucard's initial coat & art design came from Trigun's Vash.This did not last much beyond the first volume though,as Alucard was soon "pimped-out Victorian style" to paraphrase you. Smile

Fair enough. I don't much read manga, but if I had ever seen Alucard looking like this, I wouldn't have questioned it. No argument, that's Vash's collar. Smile

But to say Hellsing was heavily influenced by Trigun,no just no.You get far more Bruce Willis fanboism from Kouta.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
It's comforting to know Daryl is still plugging away at the thankless work of introducing new generations of anime fans to the worthwhile (some less so) anime of decades past. Princess Nine is an underrated gem that I hope people check out.

The Uemetsu/Kite diagnosis is spot on. For all his talent in character design and animation, his output is totally undermined by his creepy obsession with traumatized underage girls. It's a shame because there really are no other anime with a similar aesthetic, so I keep giving him chances. I'm probably one of the few people that watched and enjoyed Wizard Barristers. It still features the obligatory Uemetsu traumatized underage girl, but at least in this she's portrayed as an actual human being with positive goals and isn't as overtly sexualized.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I'm probably the only person here that enjoys Twilight of the Dark Master. I find it to be a beautifully gothic and pitch dark experimental type of anime. It feels like a Nine Inch Nails music video which is not a bad thing in my opinion. It would not be made in today's world sadly.

Wasn't Twilight of the Dark Master released in 1997 though? Anyway I do like it actually too, would make a good double feature viewing with BioHunter from 1995. Both are these rather gory, sexual and edgy anime OVAs that at least in the case of Twilight have sort of a hard plot to follow, actually Biohunter had a way easier one to follow.

Also funny enough in the Japanese version Toshihiko Seki voices both main characters in Twilight and Biohunter.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I would go to bat for Cowboy Bebop as the best anime TV series ever made, the only one that would give it a run for its money is Neon Genesis Evangelion and while it's close, very close, I would still give Bebop the edge.

But it's true that 1998 had some crazily long legs in the US, I remember the first time I saw Serial Experiments Lain was on the channel Tech TV's "Anime Unleashed" block in early 2003, almost 5 years after the show debuted in Japan.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Revisiting this article because I just finished watching Texhnolyze and it reminded me of what I disliked about Lain when I bought and watched it so long ago--it's last 1/4 or so, as he tried to explain things--except it was like that from beginning to end in Texhnolyze. I don't think Yoshitoshi ABe can tell a coherent story to save his life. Haibane Renmei is on my watchlist, and now I'm dreading watching that.

Anyways, I think I caught the Initial D bug ironically from this article. It's funny how a meta-fictional story based on real life comes full circle and inspires real life events. I'm on a roll just watching live action vids about the real life consultant and AE86s drifting at Gunsai Touge and water papercup test. I'm not sure whether to continue with the 1st season TV, which looks so bad it's almost affectionately corny (inspiring the parodies I recognized even before I started watching), or the much, much better looking summary movie trilogy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7