• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
20 Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1998

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Unless Hirano has stated otherwise, that sounds like a pretty long reach. Vash wore a super-stylized duster where Alucard's was a straight up pimp coat and hat (honestly, to me it looks more like a zoot suit with a Victorian cravat), and of course Alucard's would have been red no matter what color Vash wore. "OP and tragic" describes more MCs that not. Sunglasses and honkin' big guns aren't exactly rare either. But whatever, eye of the beholder and all.

Those are fair enough points. Now, though, I feel the need to do some research to see if those traits were widespread before Trigun, being 2 years the senior of Hellsing. I love coming away from this place with a project.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
1998 is one of my favorite years in anime. In fact, it might be my favorite year.

- Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 isn't as good as the original, but I still enjoyed it enough to binge-watch it.

-Cardcaptor Sakura was perhaps the first anime I cared for, back when I only watched dubbed anime, as a kid. I rewatched it recently, just in time for Clear Card, in Japanese, unaltered. It actually made me love the show even more.

-Cowboy Bebop is simply a masterpiece. You actually feel the characters grow in you. And the soundtrack was something else. Also, I'm a die-hard sci-fi fan.

-Devilman Lady, aka The Devil Lady. While I understand why nobody mentioned it, it's actually one of my favorites from this year. And I'll probably get in a fight with a manga fan or something, but I'll take the heavily altered anime over the manga, pure and simple.

-Serial Experiments Lain was another show I went to after going back to anime. Rewatched it quite a few times, and it never grows old. In an abstract way, it predicted a lot of societal changes that were to come, as we became more connected.

-Silent Mobius was among the first anime I watched ever since returning to anime watching, around 6 years ago. In most works, such a combination of cyberpunk future and magical fantasy wouldn't be as solid and coherent... I hear the manga is even better, but I haven't had the opportunity to read it, so. Also, I loved the the OP, ED, and inserted songs.

I still need to check out Android Ana Maico 2010,KareKano, Gasaraki, Perfect Blue, Outlaw Star, Sentimental Journey, Trigun, Twilight of the Dark Master[/b], Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and now Princess Nine (Thanks for the suggestion.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Hey! Don't smack talk Outlaw Star like that! I enjoyed it when it first ran on Toonami. Granted, I haven't rewatched it in a very long time, so I don't know if it still holds up today.

I also remember El Hazard: The Alternative World and Gasaraki being fairly good.

Still, hard to believe it's been 20 years since 1998. I turned 18 that year. Now I have 40 staring me in the face. :/
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
trilaan wrote:
It's mostly an inspired look for Alucard. Long, red coat, yellowish-orange sunglasses, big silver gun. But also his being an over-powered main character and, ultimately, a tragic figure.

Unless Hirano has stated otherwise, that sounds like a pretty long reach. Vash wore a super-stylized duster where Alucard's was a straight up pimp coat and hat (honestly, to me it looks more like a zoot suit with a Victorian cravat), and of course Alucard's would have been red no matter what color Vash wore. "OP and tragic" describes more MCs that not. Sunglasses and honkin' big guns aren't exactly rare either. But whatever, eye of the beholder and all.

Kouta has stated that Alucard's initial coat & art design came from Trigun's Vash.This did not last much beyond the first volume though,as Alucard was soon "pimped-out Victorian style" to paraphrase you. Smile

But beyond that to say Hellsing as heavily inspired by Trigun,just no.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
I knew from the moment you said "pitch" that you were the Land of Obscusion guy. Laughing

Still, it baffles me that AWOL hasn't surfaced online anywhere (even DT Eightron, god bless its dope OP, succeeded in doing that much), which makes me want to watch it even more than I already do, as slow-paced as it is.

Hey, at least it means that people are reading, so thank you!

As for AWOL's lack of online availability, it's bizarre that even Japan has no official option. The Bandai Channel doesn't even have it, and Next Senki Ehrgeiz (the other anime featuring the mysterious "Original Creator: et" credit) is available there!

I do know that a group is working to put out the Compression Re-MIX OVAs, though, using the official subs that Bandai made for the TV version; since there are only removals, one can technically just figure out which lines were kept.

Hey, I'm a huge land of obscussion fan!! Wink Time for a small confession: I actually watched AWOL compression without subs (what can I say? I'm a huge fan of anime featuring an adult cast and realistically portrayed military stuff so that's all it took me to watch the whole thing even if I couldn't understand a thing) Funny thing is, I actually used your articles in Land... to get to understand what the series was about so that helped me a lot in order to find the motivation to actually finish it... and what do you know, I actually liked it! (obviously, it was no masterpiece or anything but I found it pretty enjoyable). Glad to hear aomeone is working on getting a subbed version out. I'll be sure to watch it!

Oh, and I'm really glad to see other fellow ANN users praising Gasaraki. That series needs all the love it can get. Also, glad that someone mentioned how hauntingly beautiful its soundtrack is. It's done by the great Kuniaki Haishima, one of the best and most underrated anime composers ever who would later do the amazing soundtrack for the amazing Monster (pretty much my favorite ost and anime series ever)
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
1998-99 was the single greatest period in anime that I have yet to come across. Just one great series after another. One magnificent, creative, demanding, groundbreaking, series that I watch every now and then in order to remind me why I love anime so damn once.
The Holy Trinity of 'Space Westerns':-
Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star
Some awesome high school series:-
GTO, His and Her Circumstances
The three greatest anime drama series ever:-
Crest of the Stars, Infinite Ryvius, Now and Then Here and There
Oh and Serial Experiments Lain, which remains unclassifiable.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
I still need to check out Android Ana Maico 2010,

Whatever happened to Android Ana Maico 2010, anyway? (A date eerily prescient with the rise of Hatsune Miku, btw. Shocked )

Only caught that on fansub, since it seemed to have completely disappeared off the NA licensing radar:
Basically a one-set workplace sitcom turned anime--imagine NewsRadio or Mary Tyler Moore Show, anime-ted--with a funny ensemble cast and an in-cultural spoof of the Japanese idol-radio industry, where dramas and hosted shows are still popular.
And unlike later manga, Maico of the title is simply the device by which the station has to function, not some bit of android-fetish fanservice, and isn't even the main character on the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Kouta has stated that Alucard's initial coat & art design came from Trigun's Vash.This did not last much beyond the first volume though,as Alucard was soon "pimped-out Victorian style" to paraphrase you. Smile

Fair enough. I don't much read manga, but if I had ever seen Alucard looking like this, I wouldn't have questioned it. No argument, that's Vash's collar. Smile

trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I had forgotten about that. Yes, it's been too long since I last read the Hellsing manga.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:45 am Reply with quote
I do also hate the lumping Knight Hunters and Tekken in with Spectral Force. That's just a low blow right there. At least things sort of happen in Tekken The Motion Picture and Knight Hunters and it least they don't look like unfinished cut scenes from a video game.

That's the problem with Spectral Force, it's not just bad it's ungodly boring and confusing. Knight Hunters just is a vanity project for Takehito Koyasu and his band of voice actor friends and Tekken:The Motion Picture's just a dumb as rocks Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie Rip-off for Tekken fans complete with ADV localizing the soundtrack with various bands like The Offspring, The Urge, Stabbing Westward, Corrosion of Conformity.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen any of these. BUT...I am planning to see Cowboy Bebop and Cardcaptor Sakura, the 1998 Yu-Gi-Oh was cool from what I saw of it, but I prefer the 2000s series from what I've seen of it, yes, it can be seen as a card commercial and not as good as other anime, but it still was enjoyable to me even in the cheesy English dub, and had good stories and characters.

Another one that's caught my eye is Princess Nine, probably because I like baseball, one of my favorite sports. Seeing how it looks like it's seemingly better received today, I'm surprised it wasn't on the "Buried Treasure" thing ANN does.

Which version of Cowboy Bebop should I see though, English or Japanese?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I've never seen any of these. BUT...I am planning to see Cowboy Bebop and Cardcaptor Sakura,

Which version of Cowboy Bebop should I see though, English or Japanese?

One good thing about late-90's/early-00's dubbing?: They're BOTH good. Cool

If you're watching on Crunchyroll, vintage 90's Sakura is pretty good in the dub as well, as long as we're talking about the Animax dub of the TV series.
The Movie, OTOH, is from the infamous "Cardcaptors" US TV dub, and you can pretty well compare them back to back.
Ole_Al

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
You know Outlaw Star spawned Firefly, the cult show?
comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2DKhtGXr0o
OjaruFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
The only anime from 1998 that I enjoy is Ojarumaru, which is barely talked about in the West. Even though there’s absolutely no way to watch it in English, I find the show very, very entertaining. The premise isn’t the best thing ever, but the secret to the show’s longevity are the characters. They are so lovable. I’ve seen over 400 episodes of the show within the past 6 years (I first watched it in 2011) and still can’t get enough of it.

After all, that’s why my username is “OjaruFan”. I’m a big fan of the show! Smile

I really wish the show could get more attention in the West. I know it’s benign, extremely Japanese-centric, and lacks many elements that most Western anime and manga fans look for, but surely some people could get enjoyment out of it like myself. I mean, Nintama Rantaro, Anpanman, and Kochikame have some Western fans.

Interestingly, NHK commissioned an English dub of special 4 (under the title, “Ojarumaru Special: Hinata of the Forgotten Woods”), while WowMax Next handled the localization (http://wowmaxnext.com/works/). It hasn’t been released anywhere in the Anglosphere yet, but I wonder if it ever will. Or if it’ll remain unreleased, like Phuuz Entertainment’s test dub of Doraemon several years back.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably the only person here that enjoys Twilight of the Dark Master. I find it to be a beautifully gothic and pitch dark experimental type of anime. It feels like a Nine Inch Nails music video which is not a bad thing in my opinion. It would not be made in today's world sadly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7