• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Are The Ainu People?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The Ainu language isn't just unique--it's a language isolate, meaning it is the only surviving language of its family. If there are less than 15 speakers of this language, then that means most of its vocabulary has been lost, and it'll take a massive effort to understand this language further. (I'm pretty sure it has a written script, at least--I mean, ancient Egyptian was a lost language for thousands of years, but thanks to the existence of translatable hieroglyphs, people were able to read it and write it, then speak it.)

The problem is, there is no script. Ainu language is exclusively oral, in and of itself it has no graphic representation. Ainu history until the early 20th century only existed through oral transmission and the highly biased texts written by the Japanese. However, a series of efforts have been carried to preserve the language and traditions, and through the 20th century, a number of ainu collaborated with researchers to have written records of their language and also audio recordings so the intonation of it isn't lost
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:06 am Reply with quote
Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown introduced me to the Ainu people. (In retrospect, I wonder how authentic the name "Nakoruru" would be for an Ainu woman? Probably as much as Galford for an American lol)

I remember playing Okami back when it came out and feeling so proud of myself for recognizing the Oina people as being a fictionalized version of the Ainu. Though knowing the attempts at just wiping them out from history makes me understand just why they were called "Oina" and not "Ainu"...and it don't feel good to know that.
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:30 am Reply with quote
The Ainu has a Sakhalin branch in Russia. From the research I did before, it's considered extinct since the last known speaker died in '94.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:53 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
The problem is, there is no script.

Eh, no. Ainu has two orthographies that I know about [one katakana, the other roman]; there might be a cyrilic version too but I don't know. There's about a half-dozen unicode code-points allocated to ainu syllable-final consonants in the katakana pages, for example.

Writing systems aren't that hard to create; for most languages a bilingual amateur can run usable systems up in a couple of months, and it's even been done a couple of times by monolingual people exposed just to the idea of writing. The only studied languages that don't have accepted writing systems are the sign ones like ASL and auslan, and there's been a lot of work on those too.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Eh, no. Ainu has two orthographies that I know about [one katakana, the other roman]; there might be a cyrilic version too but I don't know.

Sentoku Tarōji wrote the Ainu language in the Cyrillic alphabet.
Sentoku was a (half-)Ainu who was a teacher and learnt Russian. I have read a scholarly article written by Professor Ogihara Shinko about Sentoku Tarōji.
Sentoku was a friend of anthropologist Bronisław Piotr Piłsudski, and Sentoku wrote letters in the Ainu language in the Cyrillic alphabet and sent the letters to Piłsudski.
Piłsudski conducted research on Ainu and also recorded words spoken by Ainu people with a wax-cylinder recording machine.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
My introduction to the Ainu people was that one episode of Samurai Champloo.

I love learning lesser known things about Japanese history and culture.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad that the Ainu never been exactly compensated. I mean shouldn't there be a like a Ainu Bureau in Japan similar to the US Bureau of Indian Affairs, where the Government makes a effort to establish a connection with the Ainu tribes and promote some Ainu self determination?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3