• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Are The Ainu People?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The Ishvalan people from Fullmetal Alchemist were based by Hiromu Arakawa on the Ainu people. Being from Hokkaido, she probably had some familiarity with the Ainu.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
And even this is controversial in a sense, as lots of Japanese archeologists have attempted to demonstrate that the Yamato people (Japanese) were actually the ones descended from the Jomon people, in order to emphasize the Japanese/Yamato connection to the islands in antiquity, and minimize the idea that the Yamato people are descended from the Yayoi people only, who migrated from Asia (probably the Korean peninsula.)

Japanese archaeologists know the Yamato are descendants of the Yayoi people, who were ancient Koreans of the southern portion of the peninsula, and Chinese of the Yangtze River Delta. You're talking about some pseudoscience quacks, who notably got caught with their pants down in late 2000. Honestly, I don't see why when modern Koreans and Chinese are quite different anyway, following centuries of Mongol and Tatar conquest.

He's also later referring to real genetic testing via Haplogroup, not speculation based (faked) archeological finds. It's almost impossible to positively determine anything from archeolgical finds anyways, especially regarding people, only negatively determine it (i.e. it couldn't have been from these people/period due to carbon dating of soil/organic material the artificat is found in)

The genetic data itself is concrete, it's the conclusions that are not. Neither is it clear cut that: proto Koreans -> Yayaoi -> Japanese. It is likely a mix of all of the above. There is non-genetic historical evidence for a non-pure (not pure both ways) lineage. There is known intermixing of Emishi--related to Ainu, descendants of Jomon--with ancient Japanese and recorded history Emishi tribes allied with Yamato and also taking Japanese names. It's likely why we see different Japanese populations or peoples have certain phenotypes (i.e. physically observable traits) and genotypes (biological/cellular traits) while others do not yet have no record of intermarriage with other ethnicity at least back to classically traceable times. It also explains certain borrowing of myths, clothing and some culture that was not part of the Sino-asiatic peoples.

It is the same science that allows us to determine very ancient ancestry such as certain populations having certain % of Neatherdal and certain % of Denisovan, etc. So while Japanese clearly did not purely descend from Jomon or native paleolithic tribes, it is also clear that Japanese are not purely proto-Korean descendants either. So this much of what he says is certainly true:
Quote:
minimize the idea that the Yamato people are descended from the Yayoi people only
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The Ainu language isn't just unique--it's a language isolate, meaning it is the only surviving language of its family. If there are less than 15 speakers of this language, then that means most of its vocabulary has been lost, and it'll take a massive effort to understand this language further. (I'm pretty sure it has a written script, at least--I mean, ancient Egyptian was a lost language for thousands of years, but thanks to the existence of translatable hieroglyphs, people were able to read it and write it, then speak it.)

Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
It wasn't until 1997 that the law forcing the Ainu to assimilate was repealed, and not until 2008 that Japan officially recognized the Ainu people.

It's regrettable that this is a modern country we're talking about. Not the first time Japan have tried to keep on blindfolds about misdeeds in its history, and still very much try about certain events in the not so distant past...

In a culture where conformity and keeping the face is be all end all, well... in the end that will only make a clown of yourself.

Yeah, I didn't realize that it was so recently that the Japanese government acknowledged the Ainu. I know about Japanese history classes trying to conceal the existence of comfort women during World War II, however. Japan does NOT have a rosy history. (Then again, what country does?)

Something I also thought about: Shaman King was written between those two years, which has a major Ainu character. (I forget his original name, just that 4Kids named him Trey.) That was the first I had heard of the Ainu, but the manga wasted no time describing their persecution by the Japanese. That being said, I thought that the Ainu were another category of Japanese people, a cultural minority rather than an ethnic one, as he and his Ainu companions weren't drawn distinctly differently than the other characters (and had that whole Native American thing going on too with feathers on their headbands).

H. Guderian wrote:
And while the Ainu certainly didn't fare well, someone here mentioned the Mongols, who exacted a kind of industrial killing in the 13th Century world that is hard to describe as it is the manual killing by hand of millions.

Yeah, though I don't know the extent to which the Ainu have vanished, their culture still exists in some small form. Can't say the same thing about the Khwarezmid Empire, which was a thriving Asian empire until the Mongols wiped it off the face of the Earth.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
They come up now & then in Japanese entertainment. Problem is that Japan often treats Hokkaido (particularly the period Golden Kamuy is set in) as their snowy equivalent of the American West & as such Ainu, if they're there at all, are often little more than Japanese pastiches of American caricatures of Native Americans (& like in Hollywood films, said Ainu are usually just mainland Japanese actors in makeup). Haven't seen Kamuy yet, but just from promo images & descriptions it's clearly carrying some of that baggage, whether or not it plans to do anything more meaningful with it.

I can't say what those pastiches are, I'm not much of a western watcher; but I have been reading the manga and there's a lot of information in it, even a reference list in the back of each book. It doesn't seem stereotyped to me.
It does remind me a bit of Dances with Wolves though, in that there's a similarity of a soldier finding solidarity with the 'natives' and being in conflict with the army.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact: Kanna Kamui from Maid Dragon is based on Ainu culture. Kamui (Kamuy), means spirit or divine being in Ainu mythology. Kanna Kamuy is the Ainu god of thunder (often depicted as a dragon deity). Kanna says that she comes from Ushishir Island (Ushishir = Hot Spring in Ainu language). That is a real place that is considered a sacred land by the Ainu and is said to be the home of Kanna Kamuy. Also, her outfit does seem to take inspiration from traditional Ainu clothing.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
He's also later referring to real genetic testing via Haplogroup, not speculation based (faked) archeological finds. It's almost impossible to positively determine anything from archeolgical finds anyways, especially regarding people, only negatively determine it (i.e. it couldn't have been from these people/period due to carbon dating of soil/organic material the artificat is found in)

The genetic data itself is concrete, it's the conclusions that are not. Neither is it clear cut that: proto Koreans -> Yayaoi -> Japanese. It is likely a mix of all of the above. There is non-genetic historical evidence for a non-pure (not pure both ways) lineage. There is known intermixing of Emishi--related to Ainu, descendants of Jomon--with ancient Japanese and recorded history Emishi tribes allied with Yamato and also taking Japanese names. It's likely why we see different Japanese populations or peoples have certain phenotypes (i.e. physically observable traits) and genotypes (biological/cellular traits) while others do not yet have no record of intermarriage with other ethnicity at least back to classically traceable times. It also explains certain borrowing of myths, clothing and some culture that was not part of the Sino-asiatic peoples.

It is the same science that allows us to determine very ancient ancestry such as certain populations having certain % of Neatherdal and certain % of Denisovan, etc. So while Japanese clearly did not purely descend from Jomon or native paleolithic tribes, it is also clear that Japanese are not purely proto-Korean descendants either. So this much of what he says is certainly true:
Quote:
minimize the idea that the Yamato people are descended from the Yayoi people only

Especially going back over three millennia, genetics basically tells us people came from f**ck all, and easily can be manipulated in studies, depending on who you pick for your samples. I'm more inclined to look at archaeology, culture, and history, which genetics could certainly support and vice versa. This article, albeit almost twenty years old, provides a good summary of what we're talking about with some interesting points, although the reference about Japanese as a language being Altaic clearly is unlikely.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
The Ainu language isn't just unique--it's a language isolate, meaning it is the only surviving language of its family. If there are less than 15 speakers of this language, then that means most of its vocabulary has been lost, and it'll take a massive effort to understand this language further. (I'm pretty sure it has a written script, at least--I mean, ancient Egyptian was a lost language for thousands of years, but thanks to the existence of translatable hieroglyphs, people were able to read it and write it, then speak it.)

Ainu could indeed be understood again, especially as it hasn't gone extinct. As for the other Jomon languages which have gone extinct (Hayato. Emishi, Kumaso, etc.), I don't know if they could ever be understood again, and in relation to connections between Japanese, old Korean and Chinese. Even if more is known about Ainu and some records exist in the oldest Kofuns, it's still unlikely enough for languages without writing, and excavating them is of course controversial.

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't realize that it was so recently that the Japanese government acknowledged the Ainu. I know about Japanese history classes trying to conceal the existence of comfort women during World War II, however. Japan does NOT have a rosy history. (Then again, what country does?)

It is not a question of whether comfort women existed, which most people will acknowledge, instead whether they were recruited and paid or coerced into sexual slavery. American army reports toward the end of World War II conclude the former (especially as we used them in the subsequent Korean War), which is the adopted official Japanese narrative. Korea claims the latter based on a few token "survivors," and calls the report biased. Yet, the Japanese government did apologize to South Korea in 1965 and set up a compensation system to the survivors, but the South Korean government never honored it and used the money on infrastructure instead. A few years ago, the Japanese apologized again and South Korea accepted, but the new left-wing government in power basically threw that out the window.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ziko577

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
The two-part episode of Samurai Champloo that centered around an Ainu man was really well done. If I remember correctly, the one insert song during it was by a native Ainu singer.

if I recall,he was never explicitly mentioned as Ainu,though,probably to avoid controversy...
Do Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown and Horo Horo from Shaman King count?

Oh yes! They are almost perfect depictions of the culture to a T. The former cares more about preserving nature and even sacrificed her life later on to become a spirit. Horo Horo also counts because his main reason for entering the Shaman Fight was to preserve the remainder of the land from modern encroachment onto it as well as his people's waning culture. His spirit Kororo or Cory if you watched the dub like I did, is a spirit of a girl who liked him, but died in the cold and rather than pass on, she volunteered to become his Guardian Spirit.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ainu people are a race native to Hokkaido, Russia, and Northeast Honshu (the main island of Japan). There aren't many Ainu left these days -- officially 25,000 (with another few hundred in Russia), although the actual number may be much larger, as many Ainu have assimilated into Japanese society generations ago.

Thanks to Justin-san for answering my question regarding on the Ainu people & I'll read the sources links about them later on & I'm quite interested on it but surprisingly there are also some Ainu population living in the Russian side besides in Japan & I wonder how the Russians treated to them especially during the Soviet era (1917-91) where at that time it was a totalitarian & undemocratic rule? He'd only given us an info from the Japan side but if there's a Russians out there who knows it, then please tell us on how do you treat them or if there was a history of discrimination or persecution against the Ainu people in Russia just like in Japan before as what Mr. Justin said.

And btw, this is my 2nd question that I'd asked to Justin-san on Answerman page, I'd also asked him before about shrine maidens (miko) in anime & again, I thank to him that he'd answered that question. Here's the source link: animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-03-08/.113120
ericarreza

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
They come up now & then in Japanese entertainment. Problem is that Japan often treats Hokkaido (particularly the period Golden Kamuy is set in) as their snowy equivalent of the American West & as such Ainu, if they're there at all, are often little more than Japanese pastiches of American caricatures of Native Americans (& like in Hollywood films, said Ainu are usually just mainland Japanese actors in makeup). Haven't seen Kamuy yet, but just from promo images & descriptions it's clearly carrying some of that baggage, whether or not it plans to do anything more meaningful with it.

I can't say what those pastiches are, I'm not much of a western watcher; but I have been reading the manga and there's a lot of information in it, even a reference list in the back of each book. It doesn't seem stereotyped to me.
It does remind me a bit of Dances with Wolves though, in that there's a similarity of a soldier finding solidarity with the 'natives' and being in conflict with the army.

Probably the original author of Golden Kamuy is a fan of that movie & later he'd inspired to make this manga/anime series but Dances With Wolves is more dramatic while Golden Kamuy is more of an Action & Adventure type of story. Rolling Eyes
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote
It's not a question of whether comfort women existed, which most people will acknowledge, instead whether they were recruited and paid or coerced into sexual slavery. American army reports toward the end of World War II conclude the former (especially as we used them in the subsequent Korean War), which is the adopted official Japanese narrative. Korea claims the latter based on a few token "survivors," and calls the report biased. Yet, the Japanese government did apologize to South Korea in 1965 and set up a compensation system to the survivors, but the South Korean government never honored it and used the money on infrastructure instead. A few years ago, the Japanese apologized again and South Korea accepted, but the new left-wing government in power basically threw that out the window.

It's not a question whether they existed and were coerced into it, after all we have enough sources on top of first hand testimonies of the comfort women themselves. The trouble comes when people like you try, as I said in my post, try to twist the truth to something else.
And time and time we hear how government officials felt the need to question whether the atrocities happened.

Also, it sure feels like the Japanese take is any compensations meant everything erased from minds and history, as they have demanded several comfort women around the world to be taken down. Sure doesn't feel sincere...

Ironically illustrated by your own post from a year ago;
Quote:
The Glendale statue shouldn't exist because it's not America's problem. I have a feeling an underlying factor exists where Korean expats are attacking the United States for finding absolutely no evidence of forced sexual slavery, and even used many of the same comfort women during the Korean War. The original statue, which helped open old wounds, faces Japan's Embassy in Seoul, illegally on a public sidewalk, and their local government ignores the law.

Thank you for proving my points.
tsugumin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:46 am Reply with quote
This article does a poor job of explaining the history of the Ainu, specifically:

Quote:
it wasn't until the Muromachi period (1336-1573) that they found themselves in a full-out war with Japan. They lost, their leader was killed, and many were placed under Japanese control.

This is an incredibly inaccurate description of events. It wasn't a war, it was a series of unrelated skirmishes. Furthermore, the Ainu did not have a "leader" they were all unified under. What there actually was was a number of small tribes and a good deal of inter-tribal warfare. This is what made the actions of Shakushain between 1669 and 1672 all the more impressive. He managed to unite a large number of tribes, something no one had been able to do before, to lead one of the last large-scale revolts against the Japanese.

The actual last notable revolt occurred in 1789, the Menashi–Kunashir rebellion.

I'm disappointed neither you nor your editor fact-checked this article before publication, especially about such a sensitive topic.

Also,
Quote:
"cease their ancestral practices"
is putting it mildly. Their way of life was almost completely outlawed, and it was remiss of you not to say so.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:23 am Reply with quote
I recommend as a good place to visit in Hokkaido:

http://www.ainu-museum.or.jp/

It's in Shiraoi, which is accessible by the trains between Hakodate and Sapporo and a 15 minute or so walk from Shiraoi station.

By getting there just on opening time I was the only visitor, yet they still performed their songs and dances for me:

Great exhibits, explanations (in Japanese and English) and some material on related people groups also.

The restaurant includes some Ainu style food and museum shop is also quite good (e.g. it included very many titles by the Oki Dub Ainu Band, while CD-Japan only has one title: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UBCA-1050).

Last edited by omiya on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:32 am Reply with quote
Comfort women are not the topic of the this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Especially going back over three millennia, genetics basically tells us people came from f**ck all, and easily can be manipulated in studies, depending on who you pick for your samples. I'm more inclined to look at archaeology, culture, and history, which genetics could certainly support and vice versa. This article, albeit almost twenty years old, provides a good summary of what we're talking about with some interesting points, although the reference about Japanese as a language being Altaic clearly is unlikely.

Yeah, the entire concept of the Altaic language group is fairly dubious. I don't think that I disagree with anything you said really, and neither do I think that you disagree with me
All I intended to say is that for political reasons, many Japanese have tried various methods (some fraudulent) to try to emphasize Yamato people connection to the Jomon, whereas others, sometimes also for political reasons, have tried to minimize the connection and claim that the Yamato people are solely Yayoi descendants (and basically Korean, under one view.) For that matter, some people have reason to try to emphasize the unity of the Yamato people instead of multiple influences and inheritances.

Genetic studies are subject to question based on sample size as well as the endless problems of interpretation, but that is equally true of archeology as well as cultural anthropology. (E.g., see the longstanding argument by scholars about whether Samoans hoaxed Margaret Mead.) It's certainly true that genetic studies won't necessarily tell you when people mingled. However, I think that on balance according to the data it's quite unlikely that the Ainu are the only inheritors of the Jomon people, and that the Yamato people are solely and uniformly descended from the Yayoi people, with intermarriage only in Meiji era or later.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:17 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The Ishvalan people from Fullmetal Alchemist were based by Hiromu Arakawa on the Ainu people. Being from Hokkaido, she probably had some familiarity with the Ainu.

I think the Ishvalan may have also been inspired by Jewish people. This is possibly backed up by the Nazi-like essence of the army that slaughtered the Ishvalans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3