• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Baltimore's Universal FanCon Convention Postponed 1 Week Before Opening

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to Dashcon 2.0!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The relatively seamless relocation of Otakon seems to have left a lingering scar. Do many Baltimoreans mind taking the journey to the next city along?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ks.sweeley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm a local Baltimorean who was hoping to staff Universal FanCon as part of their operations department. I was interviewed for a staff position in December 2017 and was told by their Director of Operations that my interview really impressed him and in January 2018 was told that it was extremely likely that I would be staff for Universal FanCon which really excited me because the mission of the convention was a mission that I strongly would support and I stated that in my interview.

I knew something was going on because from January 2018 to April 11th, I received no communications at all from Universal FanCon so I sent an email to the Director of Operations to find out if he hadn't forgotten about me and to try to get a status update on whether or not I would become staff for Universal FanCon. On April 11th, I received an email stating that the Director of Operations didn't forget about me and that he would write to me "once" he "got settled." Then nothing after the 11th.

Found out that Universal FanCon for 2018 was cancelled from a friend of mine on April 21st so I sent another email inquiring what happened and inquiring why there was a communications breakdown between myself and Universal FanCon and finally got a response from the Director of Operations.

I am highly disappointed that this convention isn't going to occur and I have a strong belief that there won't be another Universal FanCon.

According to this statement from this Universal FanCon's Director of Community Outreach dated April 21st, it was known as early as April 3rd that there was financial problems: https://www.blackgirlnerds.com/jamie-broadnax-statement-on-universal-fan-con/

Quote:

As I was working to spread the mission of Universal Fan Con, I did not involve myself with financial or legal matters. To be frank — I didn’t know what was coming in nor what was going out. I didn’t sign any contracts. And in hindsight, I realize that this should have been a major priority. However, I acknowledge that in hindsight, that does not remedy the aftermath. On April 3, a bomb was dropped on me about our finances. I was shocked that outstanding bills were not paid and that the likelihood of FanCon would be no longer.

I help oversee our Affiliates team — our team of bloggers, vloggers, podcasters, etc who are the cheerleaders that have helped to spread the word of Universal Fan Con. We discussed having an emergency Go Fund Me and I even created a video as a last-ditch effort. I was reluctant and didn’t like how it would look that I was being asked to be the face of the video, but I went with it anyway. However, I guess I was positioned as the leader and representative of the fandom community, and I recorded a video about our need for funds. After we had our meeting with Affiliates, most agreed a Go Fund Me would be a good idea. I had a secondary meeting with the FanCon board and we decided rather than putting the onus on fans and asking for money which we already did during the Kickstarter, I agreed that we should try to find ways to scale down the size of the space and try to defray costs. I also worked with a sponsor at the last minute to help us out that provided a generous donation that I thought would have us in a better position.

48 hours ago, I found out that we owed more money and that there was no way to run this con with the debt that was owed. I called the team myself and requested an emergency board meeting to discuss what we need to do and what went wrong. As it turns out there was a balloon budget that would make it impossible to run this convention by Friday, April 27. I was sick to my stomach, devastated and I’m still in shock by all of this because at the time I thought FanCon was okay. I had a press coverage meeting with my team a few days before and I was prepping my schedule as to what we plan to cover at the event. I was completely blindsided by this news and frankly still don’t understand what happened.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
Welcome to Dashcon 2.0!

or the anime equivalent of the Frye Festival in the Bahamas.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
or the anime equivalent of the Frye Festival in the Bahamas.

I won't be convinced of this until its attendees are taking shelter in the skeletal remains of the vendor booths, subsisting on nothing but Pocky and Ramune.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
ks.sweeley wrote:
According to this statement from this Universal FanCon's Director of Community Outreach dated April 21st, it was known as early as April 3rd that there was financial problems: https://www.blackgirlnerds.com/jamie-broadnax-statement-on-universal-fan-con/

Sounds like a big blob of excuses, to be frank.
Quote:
I worked for Universal Fan Con as a volunteer. I was never paid but was promised part of the profits.

Um, oh kayyyyyyyyyy....

Considering airfare for a lot of guests were not purchased even a month before con, I think their financial troubles started long before April. I forgot who it was, but one of the domestic guests mentioned on Twitter that they never got contacted about their flights.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
This is crazy. I live in the Baltimore area, and I had no idea this con was going on. On the other hand, I am a bit older than what is likely the core demographic for this con, but still. What a horrible thing to happen, not sure how I would feel about this if I was affected. I will say it's a shame this sort of thing would happen in the wake of Otakon being moved to DC. Makes me think any thoughts of starting up another con anywhere close to Otakon's scale in the nerdsphere in the the Baltimore area is less likely to happen again after this.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Considering airfare for a lot of guests were not purchased even a month before con, I think their financial troubles started long before April. I forgot who it was, but one of the domestic guests mentioned on Twitter that they never got contacted about their flights.

At least one of their guests (TeddyLoid) required a visa after he was kicked out of the US just a month prior when he was slated to attend SakuraCon. Although visa processing can be expedited if you're willing to pay the fee, that sort of thing should have been taken care of prior to April.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
The relatively seamless relocation of Otakon seems to have left a lingering scar. Do many Baltimoreans mind taking the journey to the next city along?

Considering the anime con that tried to fill the vacuum is a Ryan Kopf event, absolutely I followed to Washington.

And there’s chatter on Twitter about trying to get the state AG, Brian Frosh, to look into what happened here. Also remember that the Fyre Festival guy got rung up on federal wire fraud charges.

Edit: Oh, forgot. Saori Kobayashi said she was going to surprise everyone and bring Eri Itoh along. Itoh sang the lion’s share of Sona Mi Areru Ec Sancitu (PD Saga) and Anu Orta Veniya (Orta). The last time she was in the US for MAGFest, she brought in Akane bandmate Yumiko Takahashi, who did those songs live, but had limited parts in the original recordings.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:54 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:

Edit: Oh, forgot. Saori Kobayashi said she was going to surprise everyone and bring Eri Itoh along. Itoh sang the lion’s share of Sona Mi Areru Ec Sancitu (PD Saga) and Anu Orta Veniya (Orta). The last time she was in the US for MAGFest, she brought in Akane bandmate Yumiko Takahashi, who did those songs live, but had limited parts in the original recordings.

Eri Itoh also sang for the anime series:

Pandora Hearts
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Fate/Zero

and the game OST for:

Xenosaga III

plus did many singing voices for Japanese releases of Disney animation.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was just referring to what she did with Kobayashi.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Yeah, I was just referring to what she did with Kobayashi.

Thanks, I was unaware of Eri Itoh's work with Kobayashi. Somehow she has escaped being entered in the ANN Encyclopedia.

I last saw Eri Itoh in the title role of the musical "Mother Theresa" in Tokyo last year.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Terrible headline NEWS: Baltimore's Universal FanCon Convention Postponed 1 Week Before Opening

Should read: NEWS: Baltimore's Universal FanCon Convention Postponed Indefinitely One Week Before Opening

It's like reading over copy from my damn first year interns at Kyodo all over again. As originally written, the reader may be given the impression the con's official open is delayed by one week. Technically every word is not suppose to be in caps either. I'll send ANN a copy of the current AP Style Guide.

I read it like that too before I figured out how it was suppose to be.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Interesting article on some possible back-story to this event...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2