• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Bizarre Magical Transformations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

(oh jeez louise I'm blind - after all these years, I only just now realized your sn is not "octopodie" Embarassed)

Oh haha, no it's not! I really like octopods/octopi so it was me being "cute" and making a pun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:43 am Reply with quote
I dont think HxH had any magic in it. They use some other form of energy that is clearly not magic that can be called: vigor, inner essence, or spiritual strength. Near as I can describe it, its similar to "ki" from the DBZ franchise where the character use it to launch energy balls.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:11 am Reply with quote
Apparently I need more than 5 choices to pick my favorites from 1998. Trigun was one of the most important things in my life, Cowboy Bebop is a show I'm always happy to revisit. The DevilLady is my favorite horror anime and I watched Geobreeders a LOT. Master Keaton is one of the best characters/adult anime ever made and Blue Submarine No. 6, dated CGI notwithstanding, is also one that I really like a lot. Princess Nine is one of my favorite "sports" animes, too. Furthermore, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight/Welcome to Lodoss Island doesn't get enough love.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
Gasaraki, Trigun and Bubblegum Crisis 2040. Cowboy Bebop will be number 1 so it won't miss my vote.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
Ayumu of "Is This a Zombie?" could fall under this column's list. That is, transforming with a magical girl outfit.
Javelin401

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Odd transformation? Ryo-ohki from "Tenchi Muyo!" Goes from cute little Cabbit to a crystalline Space Ship. Odder than that? Turns into a pink mecha in "Tokyo".
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I guess the Utena car isn't thought of as a traditional transformation sequence, but it absolutely is. And it's the best.
AnimeFan188

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't able to get into my ANN account for awhile. For some reason, I can't log in with FireFox, but I *can* get in with Edge. So go figure.

As far as "Bizarre Magical Transformations" go, here's another:

anime#1067

Not your typical magical girl transformation.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha so I saw the column title and immediately thought "Becky better be on here!" that sequence was so bizarre! I've put the disc in to show friends many, many times.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
More of a mecha combination sequence, but it's hard to top this.

agreed. though i am more surprised that neliel's transformation let alone yourichi's transformation isnt on this list! i mean transforming from a talking cat into a uber naked lady have to be on the most bizarre transformations. same with neliel! those two should be on this list instead of Gon's transformation!

am i wrong?

Javelin401 wrote:
Odd transformation? Ryo-ohki from "Tenchi Muyo!" Goes from cute little Cabbit to a crystalline Space Ship. Odder than that? Turns into a pink mecha in "Tokyo".

that is more than true BUT, that transformation is due to advanced science of washu. not magical powers!

tenchi transformations or those three goddess sisters (washu , tsunami and tokimi) are another story entirely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MugenPancake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
Gon's isn't quite a magical transformation....it's just his body aging to keep up with the nen as per the hold he put on himself. It's not even far off to say he'll look like that when he grows up (minus the hair), kinda like little Yugi Moto
AnimeFan188

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
Other bizarre magical* transformations would be Sōji from "Gonna be the Twin-Tail!!":

anime#16132

And Senō from "Kämpfer":

anime#10861

* In the sense that any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic.

Gender-bender, and other magical transformations also occur in "Ranma ½":

anime#64
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2