• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tada Never Falls in Love

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I've seen far too many anime series try to set the world on fire and fail quietly that I know how to enjoy the small series that tries to hit just one mark and lands it sweetly. And nothing works as well in this show for me than the relationship between Ijuin and Tada.

I think the reviewer is missing out on something here by selling this relationship short; Tada and Ijuin never were friends prior to the death of Tada's parents, they were just classmates and that year following the death, Ijuin just told Tada to cheer up and smile just about every time they interacted. But what sells the friendship for me... and what's not actually shown in the opener.... was Ijuin's forceful entry into Tada's solemn anniversary of his parents death, Tada neatly dressed in his funeral suit while Ijuin was dressed as one man band assault clown.

Now that one I didn't see coming. Ijuin is quite literally making a fool... in full motley to boot... out of himself to cheer up some guy. I like it.

The princess stuff? I knew that before going into it from the first key image.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I bet a bit of Alec pushing Teresa to conform to her role stems from her own crush on Charles and a desire for her not to be able to be with Charles because he's going to be with Teresa, and thus needs to be with Teresa.

Also Alec pulling Tada's coat off of Teresa and Charles putting his hand on her back was prime NTR, thanks for the knife in the heart Tada-kun.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
So did something go over my head as usual, or can Charles talk to cats? Shocked How did he know NB was at the flower shop? Had he seen him when buying flowers earlier? If so, why not just say so?

Quote:
Unless it's truly hopeless, like Yamashita's seems to be—but he'd still probably be better off if he actually said something rather than assuming.

Right, and put Chia-nee on the spot with a crush she can't ethically do anything about besides quash it. I don't see what's to be gained for either of them right now should he confess, so I'm glad he has the self-restraint to do his own gatekeeping.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Quote:
Unless it's truly hopeless, like Yamashita's seems to be—but he'd still probably be better off if he actually said something rather than assuming.

Right, and put Chia-nee on the spot with a crush she can't ethically do anything about besides quash it. I don't see what's to be gained for either of them right now should he confess, so I'm glad he has the self-restraint to do his own gatekeeping.

I don't see any ethical problems if Yamashita and Chia-nee actually had feelings for each other. I get the feeling that they aren't really related if that's the way you're seeing it. It isn't uncommon in Japan for younger people to call older close friends or neighbors elder brother or sister.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Because he's a high school student and she's an adult?
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I guess I meant he should tell more to "clear the air"/help himself move on rather than because I thought a romance was actually possible (which it seems like the show is indicating is not).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
But why should he move on? Just because she's older doesn't mean they can never be together. Just wait until he's legal to drop that in her lap, and then she can decide what to do with it once they're on more equal footing. I was just saying doing it now is kinda of forcing her to reject him (when maybe she wouldn't want to) and feel bad about it in any case. Even if it makes him feel better, it strikes me as pretty selfish.

Which brings me back around to my being glad he's being his own gatekeeper. If he moves on on his own, fine, he's left her blissfully out of his drama. If he waits until his confession is appropriate, then they can decide what they want, together. If she's hooked up in the meantime, wasn't meant to be. Smile
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Cats don't just carry around their favorite toys like a child's stuffed animal, they roughhouse them mercilessly.

It depends on the cat; I had a cat that carried around a stuffed animal like it was a stuffed animal. It was on a string but he didn't care for that so he removed it. But that was as far as the damage went as the way he played with it was "hide and seek" rather than "pounce and shred".

I'm guessing the author of the Hercule Poirot knockoff novels has something to do with the story and this is shown with... most recent example... Charles studying the photo of Tada's parents and recognizing someone in them.

Am I expecting a romance out of the relationship of Tada and Teresa? No, I'm expecting something more of a "reunion"... and then the dreaded plot tumor device "amnesia" enters my head... Ok, hopefully they come up with something better than that but there's only so many times a series can repeat plot points like "10 years ago" before they start connecting on their own.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm guessing the author of the Hercule Poirot knockoff novels has something to do with the story and this is shown with... most recent example... Charles studying the photo of Tada's parents and recognizing someone in them.

I feel like there's also a bit of influence from Layton Mystery File, since Katri does go on about inheriting her deductive powers from her father, there's a detective named Darjeeling Aspoirot (obviously a nod to the above), and we also just had an episode where someone recognized someone in a photo.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Alec and Teresa's grand crying scene was also ten years ago... what are the odds...

And I really think it's unfair to compare the story structure of this show to the earlier Nozaki-kun. Thanks to having the same production people, the series look the same but the earlier work is based on a manga with who knows how much time put into the characters and their relationships for both the original manga and the following anime adaptation.

Also, I'm not expecting a romance... which is also like Nozaki-kun. And now this review reminds me of an Youtube review of Nozaki-kun where the guy didn't like the series for what it wasn't. He wanted a romance and couldn't appreciate the comedy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I think Rose's main problem is that she doesn't like any of the characters except the cat, so she's less forgiving of the series' other faults. Smile I.e., if she liked the characters she'd be more patient about the romantic developments (or lack thereof). And even though I do mostly like them, I certainly get that if you don't, there's not much here to like instead.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
So the most recent episode made me recall things I wasn't ready for. Nyanko Big...is best cat. I recently lost my grey and white kitty, and she used to take care of me just like Nyanko did for Theresa...just yeah, I can't... So yeah that alone makes me love this episode.

Also Karou...he's an adorably good friend.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:59 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Teresa is ever going to realize the Rainbow Samurai has been in front of her this whole time or if the show is going to keep it a secret from her.
The Alaskan Assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
Time Bandit wrote:
So the most recent episode made me recall things I wasn't ready for. Nyanko Big...is best cat. I recently lost my grey and white kitty, and she used to take care of me just like Nyanko did for Theresa...just yeah, I can't... So yeah that alone makes me love this episode.

This is why I love this show. It uses small gestures in a grand fashion.

(This scene also reminded me of my cat when I was growing up. She would lay next to me if I was sick.Crying or Very sad)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I can't believe the review didn't even mention the bombshell this episode casually delivered: that Tada's grandfather obviously knows Teresa's nanny Rachel from when she was Reiko Ryuzaki (and likely at least had a crush on her, if not dating). Which means it's probably not a coincidence that Teresa and Alec's hotel is just around the corner from his coffee shop. I'm sure there are other implications that went over my head, but that kinda left me gobsmacked for a number of reasons and raises a ton of questions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3