• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tada Never Falls in Love

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

C+?? Honestly? This had been one of the best episode of the series, and even if you don"t really like it overall, this episode doesn't deserve such a low grade.

Quote:
On that note, the one thing I do find less plausible about Tada's emotions also has to do with timing. Why does it take him months to even show any real physical reaction to his feelings for Teresa? I get that he's a laid-back guy who doesn't think he deserves to pursue the things he wants, but it would make sense to have him at least express this conflict more quickly.

Maybe YOU do find it less plausible, but it's part of human emotions. No everybody understand their feelings immediatly, specially Tada-kun who never fell in love (hence the title of the show).
"It would make sense"... Not really. Once again, every person is different. Things that make sense for one, doesn't for someone else. If this show doesn't correspond to YOUR standards, does it mean it isn't good?
I think Tada gradually felt something for Theresa, but he didn't realize it until he learnt that she left. And the physical reaction he showed was when he saw her again on video, there he knew it was love (feeling he never experienced before).

Maybe you prefer romance story where characters fall in love immediatly and show it expressively, but this one is different.
This episode deserved an A-.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Man, Episode 11 was one of the best of the series, but to see it get a C+ on here is questionable. A C+ is very unrepresentative of the execution and heartfelt motives being displayed in Episode 11. I would explain more in depth, but the post directly above mine covers most of what I wanted to say. Most times when I disagree with reviews, I can somewhat understand what criticisms they have, but I quite frankly do not see where this reviewer is coming from at all. At this point, it sounds like the reviewer wanted a different show and is faulting the series for not doing so, and that’s unfair in my view.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why does it take him months to even show any real physical reaction to his feelings for Teresa?
Because he repressed them hardcore, as evidenced by him sealing away all of the evidence of their date, and only upon watching the video clips finally acknowledged to himself that he didn't want to let go of his love like he was trying to.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I think the most impactful thing about episode 11 for me was Nakamura singing the ending song while they watched the video. Seeing his emotions get the best of him combined with the lyrics of the song actually got me a little teary.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I gotta agree with Rose on this one. Emotionally, it did sucker me in a bit, especially toward the end, but after reading the review, I totally agree with what she's saying about the timeline and everyone's implausibly incurious behavior.

If Tada were the only one bottling up his feelings about this, I could buy it, but no one else seemed to have a problem with them just up and leaving without a word - which, by the way, was pretty shitty behavior on their part. If they initially missed them, and then kinda let it slide, that would be normal, but it seemed more like after the first "Whaaa?" outburst at the news, they just let it drop...until months later they suddenly out of the blue start talking about them again. I could buy it if cleaning the clubroom had been the thing to renew that conversation, but they were musing about it at the cafe. If they've been talking about them on and off all along, then a months-long delay in Tada's even hinting at his feelings seems off to me (but in any case, I think the video was a fine catalyst for his final reckoning). You know Kaoru would've been hounding him to open up all this time, if their leaving hadn't been swept under the rug.

And again, Tada's grandfather is still keeping mum about what he knows about Teresa, which just seems implausible to me. Who does he owe more allegiance to, his grandson or his old flame/coworker/whatever? Whatever secret is hidden there, I don't see how keeping Teresa's secret is even relevant to it. Once she gets married, it'll be international news anyway, so why even bother? It just seems pointlessly cruel to withhold what he knows. At this point, I'm wondering if they'll even tell us what that backstory was all about beside a plot point to introduce little Teresa to the Rainbow Samurai.

Finally, not impacting the grade at all, but I think choosing Sugito as Umehara's replacement was a mistake. Sugito would've been fine in the role from the start, but he's so recognizable, as well as not sounding anything like Umehara, that hearing his voice come out of Pin was just really jarring.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
I bet a bit of Alec pushing Teresa to conform to her role stems from her own crush on Charles and a desire for her not to be able to be with Charles because he's going to be with Teresa, and thus needs to be with Teresa.

Also Alec pulling Tada's coat off of Teresa and Charles putting his hand on her back was prime NTR, thanks for the knife in the heart Tada-kun.

Ayyyy I was right.

Also please let these poor kids be happy. Or at the least not crying.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this review was really distracting to read, because I kept getting stopped at all the errors in the synopses of events.

Quote:
He's unexpectedly joined by Kaoru, who tagged along in order to keep an eye on him. ... While Kaoru takes more time to smell the roses...

Why "unexpectedly"? Since Tada doesn't know he's there, I'm assuming that this means it's unexpected to the viewer, but we saw him on the plane last week. And Kaoru didn't take time for tourism, he lost Tada outside the airport when he thought he had time to grab a dessert and left his wallet behind. He didn't know where Tada was going, so he basically had to take the next bus and hope he got off at the right place, which required a bit of the same tourism that even Tada indulged in.

Quote:
He does what every stupid TV love interest does and storms off without hearing more

Huh, I guess we have radically different ideas of what constitutes "storming off." She revealed her engagement in the afternoon (at the latest, since it was still bright daylight through the windows), and when he left, somberly walking down the stairs, it was dusk. So apparently he either stayed and talked with her for an hour or more after the reveal, or spent the time dazedly wandering about the castle alone. While I think the former is more likely, neither is what I'd call "storming off."

It's the fact that he didn't run away right after he learned the truth that makes this whole scene and the one after it so poignant. While we got to fade to black, they were sitting face to face, having tea, bottling up the storm of emotions they were feeling, maintaining a polite, platonic, friendly facade for all that time. No wonder they both broke down in tears when they were alone.

Quote:
we also saw Alec jumpstart Shozo's memories. This time, we learn that Rachel worked in Shozo's café during her college years, but not much more than that.

Shozo's memory didn't need jumpstarting. He had not forgotten her, and he knew full well who Teresa and Alec were this whole time (which really needs some 'splainin', dude). We also knew from that episode that Reiko worked in the cafe because they showed us the framed photo of her with a youthful Shozo outside the cafe in their uniforms (and if you missed it, they gave us a clearer shot of it last week too).

Quote:
is this the info proving that Teresa and Charles are too closely related to wed

No such thing in royal circles, unless they're actually brother and sister. Smile

Quote:
this episode definitely reveals who really has her heart—Charles!

Was this any sort of surprise to you? oO It's been so broadly, openly, blatantly hinted at ever since he showed up, that only Teresa and Kaoru could've missed it or had any doubt. If they'd made it any plainer, you'd have (rightly) complained about hitting us over the head with it instead of being more subtle. But I did like Teresa's unwillingness to let Alec get away with denying it, once she did see it. Smile

I think I'm starting to see why you haven't much enjoyed this series. It seems like you've been multi-tasking while it's on and missed a lot of details.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Or at the least not crying.

This. My heart broke for Tada at the end. And poor Kaoru...he tries so hard to make his friend happy, and then he gets to see him a mess like that. Crying or Very sad

Can't wait for the final...whichever way it decides to go.
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I loved this show and i did feel really bad for Tada during episode 12, I cried. But I am not sure if I cried for this show or because Tada shares a voice actor with Tomoya from Clannad. The finale made me very happy for everybody.
GolfDude

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
i wonder if that april 4,2019 date on the poster at the end of the show was trying to hint at a season 2?.. seemed to be an oddly specific date to be given attention to out of the blue... "2nd" Photo Collection
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, that left me kinda meh. It had its moments, but too many more that just made me oO at the screen. Chasing the envelop was one of those. The sudden flash forward at the end was another. And all those loose ends. smh

Oddly, I had felt early on that the series was trying to imply that Charles did have some suppressed feelings for Alec, but then these last two episodes did all they could to convince me that he actually was in love with Teresa, and not merely doing his duty. I never got a hint in Larsenburg that he saw Alec as more than a comrade in protecting Teresa, until their scene after the time skip, but by then it felt like he was just making the best of a heartbreaking situation for him, and Alec just got him on the rebound. Yay?
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
Reading this review (like many weeks) I would have thought we watched completely different shows. At no point does it ever state or show that Charles like likes or is going out with Alec. The only hint that this might be the case is them at a cafe, at which point he asks if she wants to have fun with him and the show made it clear his excuse for ending the engagement was because he wanted more time to have "fun" before settling down. Why would he need to ask that if they were already going out. The reason he didn't show any feels for Alec before this supposed relationship scene is that there were none and are none. In fact the scene at the cafe only serves to further show that Charles loved Teresa and probably still does as the entire exchange was Alec calling him out for making up excuses and fibs for his feelings.

Reading these reviews sometimes has been frustrating because it feels like the reviewer didn't even watch the show but as someone already pointed out just had it on while they were doing something else that divided their attention.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
So.... "A happy ending would be nice for the conclusion" which is what Reiko says as we find out she's the author of the Sunflower series. Err... what a twist.

So I'm the only one who takes everything that happens in the story after that as a out and out lie? Charles married Teresa as she didn't abdicate the throne which is what responsible people actually do? It's an ambiguous ending, I like it.

Ok, it's actually not that ambiguous as very few mystery stories have a need for out and out happy endings.

Quote:
and so the story comes to its fairy-tale conclusion.

Right, it's not really ambiguous. At all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3