• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hinamatsuri

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
She did also make him a lot of money with the construction job (ignoring saving his life since she was arguably responsible for that situation). Not clear how much of the damages that offsets.

A part of the joke is that the characters are preaching based on the false assumption that she’s Nita’s actual daughter, though. Therefore the anime isn’t even preaching to the viewer in the way magnuslord seems to be thinking.

On the opposite side, Anzu says she personally kicked Hina out after only the first few days and can’t understand how Nita suffered her for so long. Do you see that as preaching too?
Echii

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Overrated . The comedy in this show is not that good

The early episodes were ok, but it started to get boring for me.

Prison School has way better comedy

Mob Psycho 100 has better comedy, and has action/power on top of that which makes that gap even bigger between it and this show
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
Mob Psycho 100 has better comedy, and has action/power on top of that which makes that gap even bigger between it and this show

They're completely different genres, you're comparing apples and steak here. Not to mention that's an awfully petty measure - "if a new show has psychic powers in it, it better have both comedy and action as good as this other show or people shouldn't like it."
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I give this series my "Mature Audiences" seal. Which means chances are you will not find many teenagers or young adults liking this series, but those that do will praise it like a gem (see "Rakugo" for another example).

Very coherent direction, I hope it keeps it up the rest of the season.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anzu's homelessness was initially presented as a punchline, and yet her character arc has somehow developed that premise into something genuinely moving.

That's one of the strengths of the series; its ability to use the punchline from a gag as setup for developing something further down the line; usually more gags, but sometimes something dramatic or heartwarming.
mangamuscle wrote:
I have not read the source material, but this series seems to be going the Kimagure Orange Road road,

Yes and no. Yes in that not everything always revolves around psychic powers and their use; there's plenty of comedy potential that doesn't directly involve psychic powers, most obviously just about everything involving Hitomi. No in that Hinamatsuri was made from the ground up with the psychic powers as a key element. They're only in Kimagure Orange Road at all by the editor's insistence on there being something supernatural or "shounen manga-ish" because he didn't think audiences would go for the straight mundane romance drama/comedy the author actually wanted; the author thus basically ignored their existence in many chapters since they're not what the manga's really about.
mangamuscle wrote:
this episode we all forgot the telekinesis powers aspect of the series and seems the main characters also have (one would think that extracting coins from under a machine would be an obvious use of Anzu's powers)

This isn't people forgetting about the powers, it's showing the difference between the attitudes Hina and Anzu have. Anzu is a serious and hard-working character who doesn't use her powers for frivolous things or personal gain. Hina... is basically the opposite of that.
mangamuscle wrote:
and I wonder if Hina is going in future episodes to do an explosion for lack of working out her powers in the least opportune moment.

Just because it doesn't happen on screen, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It's established that Hina needs to use her powers to keep them from going berserk, and that Hina and Nitta need to work with that, so it's taken as a given that unless otherwise stated, that's happening off screen. Think of it this way: everyone needs to eat breakfast, so it's taken as a given that the characters all eat breakfast every morning even if we don't specifically see them doing so on screen every episode. If we're meant to get the impression they didn't on a given morning, they'll be shown rushing out of the house without eating, or complaining to another character about being hungry because they skipped breakfast or something.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:26 am Reply with quote
I was not a huge fan of this episode overall. The first half was stellar, showcasing some of the best comedy of the series to date, with the added bonus of adding a few new interesting characters and intertwining said comedy with some sweetness and emotional resonance, while keeping things lighthearted.

And then the second half happened. Honestly, Anzu is my least favorite of the three girls by a country mile, so I'm already biased against it, but the treacly tone and overwrought melodrama killed it for me. The problem is, the show already demonstrated that it can balance its comedy with its more emotional content (like it did to an extent in the first half of this episode), and yet it chooses to take a step backwards in complexity and devote itself entirely to a tone that doesn't work for the kind of show it is. I don't come to this show for melodrama, so this episode half did not work at all for me.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
I honestly enjoy this anime due to its different nature from everything else! The reactions and the honesty of issues! Like talking homelessness and family disputes and consequences honestly! These issues get handled in a way that’s fits this story and it’s current narrative! Now to see where it will go from here.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Pure and simple - Hinamatsuri is the highlight of my viewing week
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I always thought of the crying scenes in the opening animation as the show lampooning itself as being too busy with its own brand of lunacy to feature throat-punching drama like that, but boy howdy, did episode 6 set me straight.

I mean... the whole thing with Anzu and the homeless was heartwarming in its own right, but this episode's segment just knocked that right out of.... uh, the... park.

I'M SORRY! Out of all the ones I could've chosen, why did THAT expression come to mind? Anime hyper
Mojave

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 6, and... wow. If I could give this episode 10 stars out of 5, I would. Made me laugh, cry, and feel all sorts of emotions in between.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Finally got caught up on this series and I'll absolutely agree that episode 6 was a home run. I'd rank it up with the first episode of Megalobox as the best episode of any anime I've seen so far this season. Always thought this series had potential, but this is even more than I expected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crext

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
That last episode was such a gem. Can't wait for mr. monk guy to enter the scene now!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hina decides to take on some new responsibilities of her own by running for student council president

No, no, no. What Hina wants is to be lazy and boss people around and what better to do it than become president! Executive privilege ftw! Hina Taking responsibilities can only be interpreted as a bad omen.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:29 am Reply with quote
I've never laughed as hard at someone breaking a bone in their body then Hina breaking her leg. Her scream had me screaming!
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Anzu as a straight-man this week was pleasing to watch and Mami’s mom outside her door listening to her daughter trying to use her powers was so funny, I spit out a part of my drink. Jesus, this show is so much fun. Very Happy Also, that last scene had me in total agreement with Hina. I’m very curious to see how that goes down next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6