• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Bizarre Magical Transformations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One foremost example is the poor fate of Rinko Sakuma. Azazel and Moloch sing an altered version of "Old McDonald Had a Farm" and transform the unsuspecting Rinko into a cow—not even a magical cow, just a regular old cow.

The way you say that, it's like Rinko was just some one-off character and not the main human protagonist. It's also important to note that this transformation happened in the first OVA, as opposed to the series proper, and she wasn't stuck like that thanks to Akutabe's interference, so calling it her "fate" is kind of an overstatement.

Last edited by Takkun4343 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
StarFan13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
That Hunter x Hunter you gotta be kiding me
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
i notice that maze was on the list, but I thought that film was lost after it's run in cinemas and no one had seen it since?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
Too bad it couldn't have been the best anime of 1999, because then we could've had One Piece on that list. (Wait, did it begin in 1999, or was that just Romance Dawn?

StarFan13 wrote:

As in it's on the list or that it happened in the series at all? (It's actually something of a spoiler moment, as spoiler[Gon cannot transform back on his own, and this transformation leaves him hospitalized and in critical condition. The entire following arc is about his friend Killua trying to find a cure as his brother deems Gon dangerous and tries to kill them both.])
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Listmaster Lynz wrote:
13-year-old Rebecca Anderson joins her classmate Shinku Izumi in another world

Quote:
It's like some kind of weird cyber-infused sexual performance that takes place in a world full of animal people

Quote:
I watched the sequence numerous times

Anime, amirite?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Anime, amirite?

Depends on what was meant by "animal people," of course--if it's anything except humans with animal ears and tails, then it's not, of course!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
Thank you Lynzee for that Best of 1998 survey, I knew there were more than three or four good shows that year! Also, couldn't you have made the cuttoff 5 as usual? After all Slayers were in there twice...Also, I never wanted to watch Dog Days until now...
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
I must've missed last week's poll - would've voted for either Toradora or Haruhi.

Magical transformations: "Awake! Judgment Gun Morphing!"

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Too bad it couldn't have been the best anime of 1999, because then we could've had One Piece on that list. (Wait, did it begin in 1999, or was that just Romance Dawn?

I'm sure we'll get a 1999 poll next year, and yes, the One Piece TV series started in October of '99, so it'll be on there. I'm not a One Piece watcher, and unless I suddenly watch a bunch more 1999 anime in the next 12 months, I already know what'll get my votes: RuroKen Trust & Betrayal, Adolescence of Utena, and Corrector Yui (calling my shot right now that I'll be the only person voting for that one).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
I did list Trigun as one of my three and that should place high but the other two..

Priss, Linna, Nene... sometimes Sylvia, you know the times... forever! Ok, mostly just Nene...

And Steam Detectives because... repeating insert songs, oddball character designs... are these pluses or minuses? No, because it turns into a superhero deconstruction with a rotating rogue gallery that mirrors the kid hero detective, like if Robin was Batman but still had to face the Joker, another Joker and another Joker... with a giant robot that was powered by steam and a martial arts maid/nurse by his side. It gets weird and I love weird.

Not Lain weird where I keep trying to figure out how a dial up modem works well enough to do anything... there's suspension of disbelief, then there's trying to download anything larger than a single MP3 file through landlines....
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I had the pleasure of seeing the Nadeshiko movie when it was released in the theater in Japan, so you know it has my vote!
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I increased it to 5 votes if anyone wants to go back and cast two more...

AND I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT ABOUT LULUCO Anime cry consider her the honorary #7.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
StarFan13 wrote:

YOU CAN SMILE AGAIN! Cool
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Ribrianne from Dragon Ball Super?

StarFan13 wrote:
That Hunter x Hunter you gotta be kidding me

That's the point. In the moment where the transformation happens, it's supposed to look unnatural.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I increased it to 5 votes if anyone wants to go back and cast two more..

You should probably also change the instructions so that people just coming in will know it's no longer 3.

(oh jeez louise I'm blind - after all these years, I only just now realized your sn is not "octopodie" Embarassed)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
More of a mecha combination sequence, but it's hard to top this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2