• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
^As much as I’d like KyoAni to do it, they are probably pretty busy, so we would be waiting for a few years for the rest of it if it happened at all. Though taking a bit more time to make it than Xebec did wouldn’t be a bad thing.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I’m willing to accept that the mechs might still be CG in the next adaptation because animators who are proficent in 2d mechanical animation are becoming scarce. The actual character animation and fight scenes could most deffinitely have better animation with the right staff. The animation studios are working on crazy deadlines, they are overworked and resources are spread too thin so I get why it happens but it’s disappointing.
-SP-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
That was such a stupid and cringy ending.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hmmmm, I may have forgotten about the former part. The latter part wasn't at all evident back when they directly fought in episode 3(?).

To be fair, the season ends after the Gates fight, and I don't think anyone specifically pointed out that he can use it at will at the end of TSR. I had felt at the time I watched it that TSR implied this by how effortlessly he used it against Gates and his crew like they existed just to show off his new power up. Then there were those lines about Sousuke fixing his and Al's problem which was about Sousuke hating the Arbalest because he felt it unreliable. Since he hated the Arbalest due to its unreliability, I think this implied it is no longer unreliable.

Anyway, having subsequently read the books, I think the anime just kind of failed to follow up on that at all. They hit the ground running pretty quick starting the season, they skipped the dialogue/monologues which really queue the reader in that he is / can use it at will, and then they went a pretty minimalist route on the visual effects.

If you watch close during the ep 4 fight, you can see the first Codarl he throws the knife at, which blows away a leg, was preceded by a blue flash, and the Arbalest's back fins are opened up at that point. I'm pretty sure he used it to block the rocket attack that resulted in Kyoko getting hurt too because there is a decent delay before you see him jump out of the smoke which means he was right next to the explosion yet undamaged. He was pretty much using his Lamda Drive from the moment he boarded which is why you never see any of those Codarls block his attacks despite having Lamda drives and getting hit head on. He was using it against Leonard as well, but they didn't really add any visual effects that I noticed which was actually a personal complaint I had with that fight when I saw ep 4.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
A lot of this season for me felt a little rushed and it seemed like that they were trying to squeeze as much as possible into a limited number of episodes. I think the best part of the season was when Sousuke was in Southeast Asia with Nami. The action was decent and Nami was a compelling character. Glad that Tessa was given a chance to be a leader instead of air head love rival. The lazy and blatant fan service of episode 10 was eye rolling and overall the CG in the series fluctuated from decent to distractingly blocky. This season was ok for me, but it didn't feel like it was on par with the best of previous seasons.

Still I look forward to another season and hope it isn't too long before its announced.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Overall, this season was pretty good. The CG was decent for the most part, the characters and story’s execution was definitely more Full Metal Panic! and that’s always welcome, especially with it being 13 years since TSR. Playing the first seasons OP/ED combo in the 12th episode was absolutely a great and unexpected choice and had me taken aback that it actually happened in this current time. While I would have liked it more if Kyoto Animation came back, I’d say that Xebec did the best they could and I personally would applaud their efforts. I sincerely hope that one more cour can be possible and that it isn’t too far away. Not another 13 years, mmmkay? Wink
Zetabag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
Overall, I think this was a pretty good mid season climax and a great debut for the ARX-8. Its not quite as good as the endings to S1 and TSR, but I think that's mostly because in the source material this wasn't meant to be a huge climax like the endings to "Into the Blue" and "The Ending Day by Day".

Writing wise these last two episodes were pretty good though Kaname's resolution at the ending did feel a little rushed. In the light novel, "Come Make My Day", her dilemma of whether to continue resisting or give up and accept her fate was mostly explored through her inner thoughts especially in the first half of the novel. It wasn't until the latter half that the dilemma was expressed through conversations between her and other people. Despite this I still think the anime handled it well and I loved Sosuke and Kanme's confession to each other with Karenai Hana playing in the background. Yeah it was a bit cheesy, but I still love it.

Animation wise, I am glad to see that the extra time to complete these two episodes was well spent. The mecha CG was as good if not better than what we saw in episodes 3,4, and 8, which is a relief since this was definitely the most action packed arc of IV. The 2D animation was mostly average though at least it was significantly better than what we got in episode 10.

As a whole I am quite pleased with IV as an adaptation. The writing for the most part is pretty good and is very faithful to the source material (with the exception of one scene that they cut out in the third arc). However, it is a shame that they cut out pretty much all the internal dialogue without doing much to rework it into the anime. While this isn't a huge detriment to IV, it would have made some character motivations and scenes more clear. That scene with Kaname swimming in the pool might have been a little bit confusing to those who had not read the LNs or manga. This bothered me the most when Kurama shot Nami. To me the anime just didn't do enough to convey the amount of anger and guilt going through Sosuke's mind when he failed to save Nami.

Animation wise its no surprise that the animation is no where near as good as KyoAni, but at the very least I feel its no worse than S1 with Gonzo (with the exception of episode 10). Yes, Gonzo had 2D mechs but a lot of it was stilted. I'm fine with the quality of the CG mechs though if Xebec does end up doing the second half of IV I hope they can keep the 2D animation more consistent next time.

Comparing to IV to S1 and TSR is a little bit difficult atm since IV is technically still in progress, but so far I would rate it as good as S1, but below TSR.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
This series started well, but nosedived pretty sharply into bad, only to pull it back up to OK in the final 2 episodes. I have no issue with the quality of the mech CGI.. as that is not what made this series look bad... what made this series bad was the general character animation. It deteriorated pretty sharply in several scenes, notable was sosuke in the church and then going into the scene of Tessa in her quarters on the TDD-1 and carrying over in the Kaname Swimming scenes.

This killed it for me.. Giving the series a B as an overall grade is a stretch.. even with the last 2 episodes I see this more as of low C title and at points D.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Quote:
As for Episode 10... If you watch when the truck leaves, there is still a large, AS sized item under a tarp in the warehouse with Wraith and the Whispered girl who was working on AL. (If I'm not mistaken, I believe that girl is the one Sousuke saves in the first episode of FMP! That's something I recall from the light novels, though...)

The latter point has been confirmed. The former I also noticed, which is why I've also suspected that it was a decoy.

Good to know! I wasn't sure if her identity had been confirmed. That was just what I remembered from the light novels, but I think that scene comes [*cough*] spoiler[after the end of this anime's story line... when she meets Sosuke and thanks him...]

teferi wrote:
Eh. I thought Invisible Victory was a complete mess, I was having trouble bothering to watch it. The production values were terrible and two recap episodes really didn't help. The plot felt pretty disjointed without that even. I don't know if that's because of the novels or Xebec's script but it felt like they wasted half the cour letting Sousuke play Rock'em Sock'em robots.

The the last two episodes felt like they tried to jam as many feel good moments as they could in before ending on a cliffhanger. At this point I'm hoping that Xebec left that, "We hope to have the chance to meet you again in the future.", message at the end because the publisher is shopping around for another studio.

Having read the light novels and the Sigma! manga, this anime followed the story line pretty closely. I think it covered more of the light novels than Sigma! did. (Sigma skips parts of Come Make My Day and Approaching Nick of Time, if I remember correctly...)

Key wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
He had mastered it by the end of season 2. That was the main conflict of that arc, and after he smashes Gates' crew, he tells Al that he 'solved our problem.' He has never had any issue since then. It may not have been obvious in the anime, but he was actively using it constantly against Leonard.

Hmmmm, I may have forgotten about the former part. The latter part wasn't at all evident back when they directly fought in episode 3(?).

In episode 3 he was having trouble dealing with his emotions because his cover with the students at school was blown and Kyoko had been hurt and he couldn't focus them to activate the Lambda driver. This wasn't really covered AT ALL in the anime. Even after he mastered it at the end of Ending Day By Day, also known as The Second Raid in Anime terms, he still needs to be in control of himself to use it, He can be angry, but he has to have focused emotions.

Key wrote:
Quote:
I felt like Chidori's parts in the final episode were too rushed. Related to this, Kalinin very quickly decided to believe her about being suicidal. Maybe nostalgia bias or something, but I didn't find this at all believable in the anime

I didn't have as much of a problem with that. If he's not faking his allegiance change then she's a linchpin to Leonard's plan and if he is then he wouldn't want her giving up yet.

Yeah, he really MUST believe the gun to her own head is serious since he knows she is key to his new boss' plan. Otherwise he's got a lot of explaining to do...

One-Eye wrote:
A lot of this season for me felt a little rushed and it seemed like that they were trying to squeeze as much as possible into a limited number of episodes. I think the best part of the season was when Sousuke was in Southeast Asia with Nami. The action was decent and Nami was a compelling character. Glad that Tessa was given a chance to be a leader instead of air head love rival. The lazy and blatant fan service of episode 10 was eye rolling and overall the CG in the series fluctuated from decent to distractingly blocky. This season was ok for me, but it didn't feel like it was on par with the best of previous seasons.

Still I look forward to another season and hope it isn't too long before its announced.

I personally thought they covered the three books they covered quite well. I also think the best part of the season was the part with Nami, other than the few interactions between Sousuke and Kaname, like the radio conversation near the end, and the banter between Sousuke and Al once he gets the ARX-8. Al is obviously... evolving, somewhat... He's certainly taking a more proactive role in combat.

But, I also thought that when I read the light novels...

I thought this was just about the perfect place to end the season, since they didn't have the episodes to finish the story. It is a turning point in the story. Sousuke and Al are reunited. Sousuke is back with the Tuatha De Dannan. Sousuke and Kaname have FINALLY officially declared their feelings for each other. (You will note that Sousuke used the more private, intimate form of "I love you". In other words, he actually said, "I love you" instead of "I really like you" That is a distinction that will be totally lost in the dub...)

The next section of light novels is amazing, so I hope they get green-lit SOON!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9