• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
If the rest of this season sticks to this level of tension, character development, and quality, then this will actually be worth the wait of over a decade. I'm over the moon right now.

My only real criticism was the CG during the car chase--and even then, they managed to still keep the tension pretty high throughout.

As for Sousuke's ammo, throughout the previous seasons he's been shown to have the ability to hide a ridiculous amount of weaponry on his person AND he was carrying a large bag with him AND he noted that he was nearly out of ammo right before the Arbalest showed up, so I think it was handled just fine. I'd be willing to accept it even if it was handwaved away just to keep the pace up, but especially since he indicated he was running low on ammo I really don't think it was a big deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fathergoat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Souske was using 100rd surefire mags

His car was built using the same technology as Armblast.

Tessa actually shot the gun into a bullet trap that was just off screen.

The potential mutineer was actually planted by Tessa to root out any actual disloyalty and cement her authority.

But why is anyone crying about realism in an anime where a 16 year old girl runs a mercenary group armed with giant robots anyway?
sweaf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
fathergoat wrote:

But why is anyone crying about realism in an anime where a 16 year old girl runs a mercenary group armed with giant robots anyway?

Because there are some people who constantly trying to look smarter than everyone else. They look too much into anything. They are trying so hard to find any faults in anything because they think thats what smart people do.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm still blown away by the second episode, that I'm not really sure what to say. First episode, truly felt like FMP was never gone and it was like yesterday that I was anticipating Second Raid's episodes.

Second episode felt like a piece in anime that I had been waiting for. I feel like there's not a lot of car chasing (and crashing) in series, sure they may have been able to execute it a little better in FMP but it was still good, but nonetheless the action packed craziness felt like a guilty pleasure I had been looking for. Feel bad for Chidori, I'd be exhausted from all the crap by now.

Anyway, can't wait for more!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
Also if you get into a car fight, then you don't' keep crashing into the enemy nilly villy, you break last second and turn into them (do a police tackle) in order to get them out of bound. A professional soldier would know this.

I'll give you this one. I kept thinking he needed to PIT them instead of ramming them like they're fighting for the head of the lunch line. Smile

Ok, even I winced when the CG first kicked in, but the chase was so riveting to me, I quickly forgot about it. On a tv budget, I don't see how they could've done a chase that dynamic with 2D.

And I frowned a bit over the "hey everybody, here we are!" smoke flare thing. But aside from that, this is really "check your brain at the door and enjoy the wild ride" fare, and it's entertaining enough that I'm happy to do so. Very Happy
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Crext, basically all of the problems you had with ep2 are pretty easily explainable. I'll avoid the ones that have already been brought up by others.

There may have been more injured bystanders, but they simply weren't shown because there was no need to show them.

Amalgam definitely wanted Kaname alive. It's true that Amalgam isn't totally unified as another person said, but, for reasons that will become apparent later, they certainly wanted Kaname alive. This would also explain why they didn't use grenades to kill Sousuke.

The vehicle was definitely bullet-proofed.

The chopper might not have been visible before it mowed down the enemies. The Mithril helis have ECS, and we don't know how portable anti-ECS equipment is. We saw it last season, but it was in a much larger rocket then.

Tessa was basically telling the guy that he can die by her hand or have a chance at living out on the battlefield.

Lastly, no idea how you got onto the tangent about political correctness.
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I’m pretty much on the exact same page as the reviewer. Damn, Tessa’s a badass. Loving it so far and it’s easily one of my most anticipated to watch this season. Very Happy

Marzan wrote:
From what I can read in other Western forums, younger audiences are not too impressed. Is the nostalgia factor clouding our perception of this season?

Coming from a 19 year old (Is that considered part of the younger audience because I’m not sure what is the average age audience in this fandom) noob to the franchise, I can confidently confirm that it’s not nostalgia clouding our judgement. I only just started watching this franchise this year and I’ve had a blast with it so far. I’ll admit that that was a concern for me going into it based on looking at its history, but everything about this franchise has me very engaged, especially the characters. Hooray for stories holding up to this day! Smile

Good to know. And at 19 you’re probably young for ANN standards but positively ancient for MAL or the like Smile
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Good to know. And at 19 you’re probably young for ANN standards but positively ancient for MAL or the like Smile

I've never see the actual demographic numbers, but anecdotal evidence over the years has led me to believe that ANN's readership skews older (if not a lot older) within the anime fanbase. Certainly those who post in forums on a regular basis tend to be older.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Marzan wrote:

I've never see the actual demographic numbers, but anecdotal evidence over the years has led me to believe that ANN's readership skews older (if not a lot older) within the anime fanbase. Certainly those who post in forums on a regular basis tend to be older.

There’s certainly a hardcore group of old otaku there, but l think overall the participants in the forums there tend younger than here. Anecdotal of course.
Crext

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
@3 people responding.

Alright, I get where you are coming from. It was so much stuff early on that I viewed as silly that I perhaps began being overcritical for the rest of the episode. I also I think I was having a bad day when I saw it, so that probably didn't help going into it either. Some of the points I'd still argue, and for a 10 year old show it is hard to remember the details for sure, and maybe it has become morphed in such a way that you expected something different. I actually viewed Teresa as 20 and not 16, so ye, there's that too, haha. I guess she never did age unlike us.

Anyways, I hope they stop shooting like mindless drones. If you got that super expensive equipment then you don't bring with you a bunch of untrained useless grunts who wouldn't be able to hit an elephant from 3 yards away. It doesn't have to be 1 vs 50 000 to make a gun fight exciting.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
@3 people responding.

Alright, I get where you are coming from. It was so much stuff early on that I viewed as silly that I perhaps began being overcritical for the rest of the episode. I also I think I was having a bad day when I saw it, so that probably didn't help going into it either. Some of the points I'd still argue, and for a 10 year old show it is hard to remember the details for sure, and maybe it has become morphed in such a way that you expected something different. I actually viewed Teresa as 20 and not 16, so ye, there's that too, haha. I guess she never did age unlike us.

Anyways, I hope they stop shooting like mindless drones. If you got that super expensive equipment then you don't bring with you a bunch of untrained useless grunts who wouldn't be able to hit an elephant from 3 yards away. It doesn't have to be 1 vs 50 000 to make a gun fight exciting.

I couldn't resist busting your chops a little. For what it's worth I noticed all the things you mentioned when I watched the episode. I actually laughed out loud when Souske was shooting through the windshield because that mag would have run out three times in that scene alone. You just have to remember it's supposed to be fun and exciting not realistic or accurate.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I saw the first series back when I was like 12 just getting into anime and now I'm 25.. These first two episodes have been such a nostalgic trip for me.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
CG mechs piss me off, and I'm still salty about them skipping Dancing Very Merry Christmas, but the actual content itself is beautifully animated and the characters are acting just like their KyoAni counterparts. It's great! Now to wait for Haruhi's S3 to mention Invisible Victory as one of Koizumi's special abilities...
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
I am pretty happy with this series. After reading these other comments, I have to concur that I was quite worried for Kaname when the aggressors were shooting the back of the car. I guess if it was super reinforced though and she kept below the window-line I can be fine with it.

I was quite affected by Kaname these past couple episodes. What with being reminded that Sousuke had killed more than a hundred people causing her to momentarily be thrown off, and then witnessing the slaughter he must do to protect her and having a mini-breakdown, their relationship is already changing. I don't think she ever really came to terms with his history in such a direct manner before, and once she does they will be all the stronger for it. So I must say that there has indeed been progress there - it's just tied inextricably to the action scenes.

I'm super on-board for this season.
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
About the reviewers comment on "where did they get that many people to pilot the behemoths"

It's all just like the first Behemoth's pilot, they've already explained this part. They don't need people like Sousuke, they have drugs that make people able to activate the LD. They don't need to find special people for the Behemoths. Only the Eligors and Belial will be Amalgam mechs with non-drugged pilots, Codarls and Behemoths are piloted primarily by people on drugs that make them able to use the Lambda Driver. (I don't know about the pilot twin in TSR/DBD, it's never mentioned that they're on the drugs)

--It's also why Gates was so crazy, though the anime wasn't as clear about it as the novels. (Yes, Gates wasn't even a named character in the novels, but in VMC they mention the drugs were the cause for him being so unstable)

About the van Sousuke and Kaname escaped in: They don't really have a way to explain it in the anime, but in the novels it's stated (in prior novels as well) that Sousuke has a reinforced van registered under another Mithril member's name. Granted it probably still couldn't take the beating that was animated, but it's not a civilian van either!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9