• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Thanks for explaining the cruise ship, I was thinking there was a plot point about it being taken over. The reason I said the Mechs are distracting, is because whenever they are on-screen, except for maybe when they are not moving, you can't help but notice them.

This is a mecha series, so noticing them is kinda the whole point, isn't it?

(Sorry, I know that's not what you meant, but given the way you worded this, I couldn't resist.)

Given what I've heard about the DVMC story, I wouldn't be surprised if that popped up as an OVA mini-series at some point.

DVMC was done as an Audio Drama, from what I recall. In the Sigma Manga, they also skipped it, but then realized that there was ONE crucial scene between two of the characters that was needed to explain one of the character's actions at the end of the story, and added it back in as a flashback before the final arc and, guess what, it was BRILLIANT! It was a breath of fresh air in the midst of all the heavy stuff and it gave an added bit of insight into what was going on with one of the characters that provided a bit of foreshadowing that wasn't there in the original light novels. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a pared down version of it like that... if they have time... (But I also can't see them actually finishing the story in 12 episodes, so I would think that would happen in the NEXT season... if they're going to finish the entire story in this season, they'll be cutting things as severely as an Army barber!)
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Welp, it's like it never went away. I'm really liking this darker tone to the story. Very Happy

Same here, and I primarily enjoyed the earlier series for their comedy. Pacing and tone have been spot on, imho.

About the mutiny: They’re also in a situation where losing or retaining a capable pilot could make the difference between defeat and near-defeat.

Sousuke’s backpack actually (uncharacteristically) provided an explanation for where he was pulling his munitions from Smile.
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
This is probably mentioned elsewhere, but Lantis said that the DVMC drama cd will be released on Japanese DVD/BR versions of IV.
Crext

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess that Speck guy kinda redeemed himself in this episode, and +1 on romance part, jumping straight to old couple status now at any moment. I'm just wondering how Mithril is going to get out off this mess, as they are getting hammered to the point that you'd think it all boils down to making it as costly as possible for the enemy at this rate... Considering those types of situations aren't very cinematic, I'm guessing Teresa is going to have to pull something creative...
asilenttree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Ay yaaahhhh I'm super psyched about this coming back, but I'm holding out for the english dub to premiere this Sunday Surprised Razz
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
Episode three was awesome! It was full of action and important moments:
- Speck's redemption, allowing Kurtz and the rest of the team to take down that Behemoth.
- 1st. Lt. Clouseau assault on another Behemoth giving Mao time to vacate her AS. (Big question there as to whether he survived the assault...)
- Tessa, once again, throwing a questioning glance in Kalinin's direction. She's done that several times... you'd think they're trying to imply that she might not fully trust him or something?
- Tessa telling Mardukas to prep the Tuatha de Danaan for early departure, which seemed to take Kalinin off guard. (This implies that she didn't inform him that this was a possibility. I seem to recall that it was implied that it wasn't in the previous episode. Perhaps she kept Kalinin out of the loop on just how close the submarine was to being seaworthy, though not for the long haul, due to some not yet disclosed reason?)
AND probably the most important, well, maybe not but it felt like it...
- Sousuke and Kaname essentially having a mutual confession scene, in which they confess their feelings for each other, as well as the fact that they are both a bit frightened by each other... as well as Kaname admitting that her Whispered powers are frightening HER as well. (Of course, a confession scene this early in the season CAN'T mean something good will come of it, right? It almost guarantees that their hopes and dreams will be crushed under the Black Technology material boots of the enemy's AS's any minute now...)

Also, I'm totally psyched about the DUB cast returning! Can't wait for the simuldubs to start on the 6th!
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Given what I've heard about the DVMC story, I wouldn't be surprised if that popped up as an OVA mini-series at some point.

that i have my doubts. if its popular to near fumoffu levels, then i could see DVMC getting that treatment. otherwise not a chance!

Quote:
m really looking forward to hearing Funimation's simulcast of the FMP! IV English dub starting May 6th, especially now that they've confirmed that all the key voice actors are coming back to reprise their roles. The Japanese performances aren't bad, but for me Chris Patton will always be Sousuke, Luci Christian will always be Kaname, and Hilary Haag will always be Tessa. These characters just don't sound right to me without those voices.

UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

however considering on how long its been since the second raid, or even in the old days of ADV, it was more than likely that the main cast, especially those three wouldn't return!

at least funi was able to get the whole ADV cast for this series which is a miracle in itself considering that some of them have other vocal commitments (specifically miss christian and her vocal commitments to some sentai series) while others no longer even live in the texas area!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4, anyone else notice a shadowy figure running across a gantry and jumping onto the Danaan as it was leaving its pen in the wide shot?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:15 am Reply with quote
^ Actually, I saw two people board at the last second. One on the right gangway before they blew the door open, and the guy running across after it blew who boarded via the left one. I presume one of them is Kalinin.

I was disappointed that Tessa didn't pick up the gun and shoot back, instead of just hovering over him waiting for them both to be killed. It's not like she doesn't know how to use a gun. She also seemed uncharacteristically squeamish when Melissa killed them. Other than that, a pretty good episode.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
damn it, I'm getting too emotional with these episodes, think I'm going to take a break and then marathon the series when it's about to finish so I don't get left on cliffhangers each episode.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Arrgh, this new season has gotten me at the edge of my seat so many times that it’s hard having to wait a week for the new episodes to come out. I pretty much binged the first three seasons in time for this new season in a short amount of time due to how engaging they were and this season is firing on all cylinders now. Quite the exhilarating ride we’re on right now and I liked the Fumoffu reference with the student council president in Ep. 4 as well. The CG is bit shaky at times, but for the most part, looks great. Can’t wait for more. Smile
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
damn it, I'm getting too emotional with these episodes, think I'm going to take a break and then marathon the series when it's about to finish so I don't get left on cliffhangers each episode.

You'll be waiting a long time then. There's no way they'll finish this plot lot within 12 episodes. They'll need another season at minimum, 2 more 1-cour seasons would be best.

______

My main gripe with this series it's Crunchyroll's fault. Their visual qualify has been suffering lately. I don't know if they just dropped in qualify or if their source is garbage but in nearly every scene there's very noticeable "color banding" issues and related artifacts. Every of their shows has this issue but this one it's by far the most noticeable and very distracting. And before anyone blames it being on my end, I checked it on multiple TVs, multiple devices (TV, phone, 3 different monitors on my computer, 3 different computers) and confirmed the issue is Crunchyroll's video quality. I took a few screenshots but I won't waste space sharing here in case no one cares. If by chance anyone does care, I can PM some examples where it was especially bad. Usually it's the cockpit scenes where it's disgustingly noticeable but Leonard's mech also exhibited major artifacting in the dark areas of the mech.

Real shame because this is easily the best adaptation I've seen in a long time. Spot on with my memory of the source and the visuals (aside from the cgi) are basically the same as the older shows. Easily went above my expectations in every way expect the cgi. The cgi isn't even really bad. It's even fantastic at some points. The problem is that it contrasts too much with everything else.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
My main gripe with this series it's Crunchyroll's fault. Their visual qualify has been suffering lately. I don't know if they just dropped in qualify or if their source is garbage but in nearly every scene there's very noticeable "color banding" issues and related artifacts. Every of their shows has this issue but this one it's by far the most noticeable and very distracting. And before anyone blames it being on my end, I checked it on multiple TVs, multiple devices (TV, phone, 3 different monitors on my computer, 3 different computers) and confirmed the issue is Crunchyroll's video quality. I took a few screenshots but I won't waste space sharing here in case no one cares. If by chance anyone does care, I can PM some examples where it was especially bad. Usually it's the cockpit scenes where it's disgustingly noticeable but Leonard's mech also exhibited major artifacting in the dark areas of the mech.

Or perhaps you could post some links to pics? I have not noticed the effect you're describing, so I'm definitely interested in seeing some screeenshots which highlight the issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Now that you mention it I can see it, concentric colour banding radiating out from the centre of the image, most noticeable at the edges of the screen. Its too much a perfect circle to be rendering artefact so must be compression is reducing quality the further from the centre of the image. If it was monitor banding it would be horizontal across the screen rather than circular and adjusting your viewing height would vary it which it isn't doing.
InuKag1

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:27 am Reply with quote
Watched episode 1 dub today (I decided to wait for that) and I gotta say I am really excited for this, I like the serious tone its taking and how much they managed to cram into one episode, so much to look forward to and I can't WAIT
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9