• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
When Sousuke is building his Savage to fight in the arena anyone get flashbacks of Chirico Cuvie building his Scopedog to fight in the arena? The construction montages are so similar its dying out for some video mix.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While it is cool to see sleek mecha battling and the Lambda Driver in action

Wait...What?

While M9s are considered to be one of the latest models, I don't ever recall them having Lambda drivers.

The Arbalest, the Venoms, the Behemoths, That shiny new black thing that whats-his-name used to finally capture Kaname, all those had Lambda drivers, but last I heard the cloaking device is just new tech not directly involving a Lambda driver.

It was still a cool fight showing how knowledge and tactics can overcome the technology gap, but I don't think the gap was Lambda driver-size huge
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Kokuryu Daimao wrote:
Wait...What?

While M9s are considered to be one of the latest models, I don't ever recall them having Lambda drivers.

I did a double take when reading that part too, but after reading the line a second time, I'm positive he was referencing entirely different battles like the Arbalest vs Belial then drawing a comparison to what we saw this episode.

Quote:
This raises the question of whether or not Mr. Lemon, who is apparently affiliated with some third party, agreed to hang around and finance her team because he did have some inkling of her true nature. His agreement to bankroll the team always seemed a little too convenient to me. Whether he's there to keep an eye on Nami or not, he provides another element of intrigue to look forward to.

One of Lemon's lines this episode implied he knew who Sousuke was (and Amalgam too). Maybe he has knowledge that whispered exist and has through interacting with her has developed some suspicions about Nami being one, but it seems unlikely to me that he knew Nami even existed beforehand. He only actually offered to pay after Sousuke shows up iirc.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that would make more sense then. cool

Even though its already at ep 7 I'm still just remembering parts of this franchise. Just making sure I'm not forgetting stuff.

Part of me is still expecting Sousuke to at some point jump out of an AS in a fully armored Bonta-kun suit and go all FUMO on some guys
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely sinking in that Sousuke is on his own (which makes wonder where the hell Wraith is) and scraping by the skin of his teeth. He doesn't have any resources anymore and has to rely on subterfuge and sheer luck at times.

Also, did anyone notice one of the guys Lemon's group capped ended up in that processor? That's a darkly funny background image
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Also, did anyone notice one of the guys Lemon's group capped ended up in that processor? That's a darkly funny background image

That was amusing. I was also amused that after people pointed out how much Lemon looked like a Black Lagoon character, the guy who got Lemon out of jail kind of resembles Dutch (vest on top of a tank top, similar facial hair, no real hair but this guy is just a buzz cut compared to whatever you call Dutch's look).
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Simply flawless storytelling.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I’ll admit, I came very close to tearing up a bit. Episode 8 had me all over the place with the action scenes and I really feel for Sousuke for all that he’s been through since it appears to never end for him. I think it’s safe to call this one of the best episodes of the season and I can’t wait to see what happens next.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
So. Nami got fridged. Didn't expect that. Do Whispereds have resurrection powers? That's the only way I see her coming back.

Other than that, spectacular episode. Loved the bit with "Sousuke casually kicking a grenade aside." He didn't even break stride. Very Happy Kinda surprised Kurama fell for the boot, since I saw it coming a mile away. I guess he was rattled that Sousuke could move at all and wasn't thinking.

The pig cop got crushed when the mech fell on his car, right? I don't want to see him again. I kept hoping Kurama would just shoot him and toss him out of the car when he was annoying him.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't expect her to be killed this quickly or meaninglessly. This is one case where I actually hope the series pulls something out of its ass to reveal that she's not dead, but given the finality of the episode's end and the way it slams the door on the Namsac story arc, I'll be shocked if they do.

I was surprised when I read that part too, but I don't think it is meaningless. It really gives Sousuke a taste of reality that he has been essentially cheating by saving everyone when he is present. We had that section in TSR where people kept telling him that they didn't need his protection, but he still managed to save everyone in the end. The first arc here started on darker turn, but he really did still end up saving everyone. Yeah, Chidori had to give herself up, but he knows Leonard wants her for something which gives him time to get her back. He hasn't really ever been there and forced to watch the person he wanted to save die.

I think this is an important moment to really build that desperation which he doesn't really have at this point. Sousuke, despite losing Mithril, was still very calm and calculated about his plan from the second we saw him in Namsac. He still expected things to work out.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I was surprised when I read that part too, but I don't think it is meaningless. It really gives Sousuke a taste of reality that he has been essentially cheating by saving everyone when he is present. We had that section in TSR where people kept telling him that they didn't need his protection, but he still managed to save everyone in the end. The first arc here started on darker turn, but he really did still end up saving everyone. Yeah, Chidori had to give herself up, but he knows Leonard wants her for something which gives him time to get her back. He hasn't really ever been there and forced to watch the person he wanted to save die.

I think this is an important moment to really build that desperation which he doesn't really have at this point. Sousuke, despite losing Mithril, was still very calm and calculated about his plan from the second we saw him in Namsac. He still expected things to work out.

While I agree it wasn't totally pointless, I still think that it was wasteful, not only of her but also Kurama. Her dying so quickly and trivially really sapped much of any emotional reaction to rest of the episode from me, especially how Kurama was just like "Ah fudge it, I'll just kill her". The piggish police chief even calls him on it, and while killing her would certainly get Sousuke after him, I'm not sure why Kurama would want that. Maybe he thought he could take Sousuke, but it seems short-sighted on his part, especially from one who seemed so practically minded in his villainy, and had previously set things up to be unfavorable for Sousuke. The plotline that Nami may have been a Whispered is pretty much up in smoke as well, unless things are not as they seem.
-SP-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
This season of FMP is sooo good, I hope they decide to continue it after the first 12 episodes.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
While I agree it wasn't totally pointless, I still think that it was wasteful, not only of her but also Kurama.

I can see your point about Kurama, but I think letting Sousuke kill the guy was a necessary silver lining for a bunch of the recent events for the audience. Sousuke lost Chidori, Mithril was gutted, Nami died, and Sousuke got critically injured in the fight. Seeing someone finally pay for some of that felt pretty satisfying to me. I think Kurama's death was also necessary to advance the story. Being swayed basically on a whim as he was bleeding out to give Sousuke information already felt a bit forced, but him doing the comical villain act of spilling the beans on all their plans would be a bit much.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Her dying so quickly and trivially really sapped much of any emotional reaction to rest of the episode from me, especially how Kurama was just like "Ah fudge it, I'll just kill her". The piggish police chief even calls him on it, and while killing her would certainly get Sousuke after him, I'm not sure why Kurama would want that. Maybe he thought he could take Sousuke, but it seems short-sighted on his part, especially from one who seemed so practically minded in his villainy, and had previously set things up to be unfavorable for Sousuke.

I thought that was the strong point about the scene. It just happens really quickly as if to show how fortunate he had been every time before this because it can all end in an instant.

I think it wasn't just about getting Sousuke to come after him. Sousuke obviously would do that to save Nami and get information on Chidori. Amalgam knows he is looking for Chidori. I think the point was to have Sousuke recklessly go after him which is exactly what happens. Sousuke had the option of coordinating with Lemon and his team, but he rushes in on his own and very nearly dies. Kurama made several comments showing that he fully respects the threat Sousuke presents. You mentioned Kurama being practical minded, but this is actually pretty practical. The guy knows he could very well lose if Sousuke gets to set the pace just like Gauron and Gates. In fact, the only reason he doesn't win according to plan is because Lemon's group distracted him, and Kurama didn't know they even existed at the time.

zrnzle500 wrote:
The plotline that Nami may have been a Whispered is pretty much up in smoke as well, unless things are not as they seem.

I think the real point of that is in how she was suppose to parallel Chidori and show what could have happened to Chidori on multiple occasions if the odds had not gone in his favor every time.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I can see your point about Kurama, but I think letting Sousuke kill the guy was a necessary silver lining for a bunch of the recent events for the audience. Sousuke lost Chidori, Mithril was gutted, Nami died, and Sousuke got critically injured in the fight. Seeing someone finally pay for some of that felt pretty satisfying to me. I think Kurama's death was also necessary to advance the story. Being swayed basically on a whim as he was bleeding out to give Sousuke information already felt a bit forced, but him doing the comical villain act of spilling the beans on all their plans would be a bit much.

I thought that was the strong point about the scene. It just happens really quickly as if to show how fortunate he had been every time before this because it can all end in an instant.

While I do agree that having someone from Amalgam go down is satisfying (I did like the police chief getting crushed), I feel like they could have done more with his character, or at least not have him go out in a ill advised duel with the protagonist caused by killing a hostage on a whim. Heck, even just him waiting to get to zero before offing her would have seemed more befitting of his character, and seemed less like thoughtlessly killing your bargaining chip.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
I think it wasn't just about getting Sousuke to come after him. Sousuke obviously would do that to save Nami and get information on Chidori. Amalgam knows he is looking for Chidori. I think the point was to have Sousuke recklessly go after him which is exactly what happens. Sousuke had the option of coordinating with Lemon and his team, but he rushes in on his own and very nearly dies. Kurama made several comments showing that he fully respects the threat Sousuke presents. You mentioned Kurama being practical minded, but this is actually pretty practical. The guy knows he could very well lose if Sousuke gets to set the pace just like Gauron and Gates. In fact, the only reason he doesn't win according to plan is because Lemon's group distracted him, and Kurama didn't know they even existed at the time.

But he did know about Lemon's group, considering they were the ones that shot up the police chief's men at the hideout they were using during the underground match. He may not have known who exactly they were, but it would seem short sighted of him if he didn't consider the possibility that they would go after him again. I'm just not seeing why he thought just having himself as the final boss in the stadium was a good idea if he thought Sousuke was a threat that needed to be taken down immediately.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
I think the real point of that is in how she was suppose to parallel Chidori and show what could have happened to Chidori on multiple occasions if the odds had not gone in his favor every time.

But this makes Nami seem less of her own character and more a stand-in for Chidori and contributes to the sense of the arc being a somewhat unnecessary detour from the main plot.

To be clear, I don't think it was a bad arc, or episode, but I had previously wondered about the more modest ratings for this arc as compared to the first one, and after this episode, I think I understand that a bit better.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Sousuke was already after him, killing her did nothing. But I really don't think FMP is supposed to be something you think about. It always remind me of armageddon, specifically when Ben Affleck asked Micheal Bay about the plot (why they needed to train oil drill worker to be astronaut instead of the other way around) and Micheal Bay answer was just "shut the f--k up". If you stop and think about any part, none of it makes sense, but the show if definitely meant to be enjoyed by just watching the firework and turning your brain off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9