• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
But this makes Nami seem less of her own character and more a stand-in for Chidori and contributes to the sense of the arc being a somewhat unnecessary detour from the main plot.

Oh, Nami was absolutely a stand-in for Kaname, and in retrospect I agree with SilverTalon01's points about how she was used. I had thought the scene at the end, where Sousuke's vision of Nami is replaced by Kaname, merely meant that since he couldn't save Nami he'd damn well better save Kaname, but it takes on bigger meaning, and makes more sense, with the interpretation that Sousuke may have seen her as Kaname's standin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, Nami was absolutely a stand-in for Kaname, and in retrospect I agree with SilverTalon01's points about how she was used. I had thought the scene at the end, where Sousuke's vision of Nami is replaced by Kaname, merely meant that since he couldn't save Nami he'd damn well better save Kaname, but it takes on bigger meaning, and makes more sense, with the interpretation that Sousuke may have seen her as Kaname's standin.

I don't really doubt that, but I had hoped that she would have been more than just merely a stand-in. It would also I think raise less question as to why we spent a third of this season on a mere stand-in instead of the real thing, not that I believe that it was wholly pointless.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
I see the fate of Nami as Very important.

She became, if nothing else, an extremely powerful, if somewhat traumatic, piece of mental focus and ammunition for a guy who will be soon running in a machine that uses strength of willpower as a weapon.

When you consider that, the last few episodes spent building up Nami makes it so that we can see how Souske's emotional attachment to her is later reused in his effort to save Kaname.

Sure his drive to save/protect Kaname is usually enough, but why only limit yourself to only one mental bullet?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
^
Interesting point. I'll be happy if the story does go in that direction, as it will mean that Nami wasn't just disposable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
I personally have faith in Shoji Gatoh. It’s a little hard for me to describe well, but my gut tells me that he will steer the direction of the rest of the story in a manner that is well-suited for what has come before. Just my two cents. Also, anyone mentioning Michael Bay in the same sentence with this series is at least generalizing way too much and at worst, insulting to Shoji Gatoh.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
They are following the Sigma manga fairly good. I have not read the novels so not sure on how accurate that has been. I really liked Nami but since I read Sigma I knew where that was going.

They are on a good pace, but to finish out all of sigma we are going to have to get a 2nd (5th) season. I sort of hope they do an in between Fummofu type season between that but I doubt it.

Everyone be sure to buy the blu rays and toys so the company makes some money and we get to see the animated end of one of the greatest manga I've read. The payoff of Sigma in later chapters is amazing. I want to see it animated so bad and I thank all those involved in bringing Invisible Victory to life. It's great to see some bad ass mech fighting without an idol singing in the back seat! (I'm talking to you Macross!)
Marzan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Hearing Tessa giving that snide bastard her piece of mind was absolutely glorious.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
^When that scene happened, I was reminded of when Sousuke, in the last episode of season 1, called Gauron an SOB and everyone at Mithril reacted with similar shock as was done here. That was indeed an awesome moment and had me smiling from grin to grin. Very Happy
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quite a lot of emphasis on Christian imagery in this episode; not just all the lingering shots of crucifixes and corpora in the Sousuke scene at the end, but also the special attention paid to Matthew 7:7 quote on Al's box in the opening Anchorage scene. "Knock, and it will be opened to you."
anddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Great episode.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I hated a second recap episode, but I loved episode 9. FMP IV continues to kick ass, and I look forward to the upcoming episodes.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:47 am Reply with quote
From the review of episode 9:

Quote:
It also shows that the extra production time allowed by the recap episode didn't go to waste, as the artistic effort is fully up to the series' higher standards.

Did we watch the same episode? To my eyes this was easily the weakest episode in terms of production value. The animation was stilted and the art was often poor in quality. I still enjoyed it overall, but I do wish the series managed to maintain the quality it exhibited in earlier episodes. The only thing that was still pretty great was the CG mech fight. That was easily the highlight while the 2D animation suffered.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah Tessa's bout of unbridled honesty stole the episode for me, I may have even replayed that scene a few times for good measure. Tbh it was like hearing my Mom swear for the first time (unheard of in my household), I was sat there like "WHAAAAT?!"

I agree this episode did everything it needed to build momentum again after the recap but for me there was definitely some noticeable sloppy QC.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quite a lot of emphasis on Christian imagery in this episode; not just all the lingering shots of crucifixes and corpora in the Sousuke scene at the end, but also the special attention paid to Matthew 7:7 quote on Al's box in the opening Anchorage scene. "Knock, and it will be opened to you."

Thanks for that. I didn't remember there being a bunch of Christian imagery, but it seems like I may have just not recognized a bunch of it.

Lowlife187 wrote:
They are following the Sigma manga fairly good. I have not read the novels so not sure on how accurate that has been. I really liked Nami but since I read Sigma I knew where that was going.

They're following the novels pretty closely.

Quote:
Up in Anchorage in the first short scene, Wraith and her redhead assistant have the next Arbalest model at least semi-active

That is actually the whispered girl Sousuke rescued at the very beginning of the series, Mira. Or maybe you recognized her and just didn't use her name in the article. I was pretty surprised to learn that thread actually came up later.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
That is actually the whispered girl Sousuke rescued at the very beginning of the series, Mira. Or maybe you recognized her and just didn't use her name in the article. I was pretty surprised to learn that thread actually came up later.

Are you certain about that? I went back and looked at the first episode of the first series after seeing this and Mira looks a lot more like one of the AS techs on the TDD; the hair length and color, eye color, and facial design are all better matches. I know the character you mention is supposed to pop up again at some point, but this doesn't seem like a good match.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9