• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Are you certain about that? I went back and looked at the first episode of the first series after seeing this and Mira looks a lot more like one of the AS techs on the TDD; the hair length and color, eye color, and facial design are all better matches. I know the character you mention is supposed to pop up again at some point, but this doesn't seem like a good match.

Yeah. Mira was the girl he saved in episode 1. As far as visual differences, I don't have an explanation other than different animators aside from hair length which could have been long due to having been captured for a long period of time. I don't remember if anything mentions exactly how long she had been taken for, but they did have time to run enough tests to do a good job messing her up when Sousuke saves her. I know what crew member you're talking about, but that isn't the girl he saved.

My discs are boxed up, but fortunately, Funimation has that ep on their youtube channel. If you look here https://youtu.be/GRmC1SPB3so?t=352 you can see the green in her eyes, and briefly even more clearly when she got shaken by the sudden explosion a bit before that. I think the gray was just suppose to be a lifeless look, and rewatching it, that whole first scene seems to be entirely in more dull colors than their usual color pallet.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:51 am Reply with quote
^
I don't disagree on the color palette issue concerning that scene, as I noticed that myself. However, that's still a more radical character resdesign than anywhere else in the series if that's meant to be the same character, and making her look so similar to the one techie character, when the franchise has otherwise been careful about clearly-distinguishing characters visually, is a significant mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Drunkenpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
There's no way they finish this arc in the remaining episodes right? If feels like there a ton of lose ends.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
I don't disagree on the color palette issue concerning that scene, as I noticed that myself. However, that's still a more radical character resdesign than anywhere else in the series if that's meant to be the same character, and making her look so similar to the one techie character, when the franchise has otherwise been careful about clearly-distinguishing characters visually, is a significant mistake.

I agree, making that one tech look so similar was a mistake. That is probably just an oversight of the animators. I kind of doubt that tech has a color illustration to go off of. I actually remember speculation from way, way back around when TSR aired that the tech was the girl he rescued, but you see the tech in uniform immediately after the scene in Russia.

I do think that Mira looks very much like a high school girl in her design similar to Tessa and Nami rather than a 20-something. She also isn't a great match for the tech either as her hair is too pink.

Drunkenpenguin wrote:
There's no way they finish this arc in the remaining episodes right? If feels like there a ton of lose ends.

There is suppose to be another season coming later to finish up the series. I don't think they have announced when. FMP IV is suppose to have 12 episodes so there is almost certainly at least a one season break. When they announced the anime, they very clearly said they were animating the rest of the story. This season is only covering 3 novels, and there will be 3 left.
Drunkenpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks Talon, I knew one of ya'll would be able to answer that for me.
Slashman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
I just have one wish right now. That someone, somewhere invokes a law in Japan that any singer/songwriter that has zero understanding of the English language are prevented from ever singing in English or using it in their music in any way,

The OP and ED for this series were so awesome in Japanese and then somewhere, some nutjob thought to themselves that these songs would be just perfect in English (the language that they have zero understanding of). I literally want to tear my own ears out when I hear them. And they keep using them for all the episodes now. Goddamn! Stop ruining an otherwise perfect series with this!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the colonel. Whoever did the voice did a great job. Actually, just in general, I feel really happy with this adaptation. It feels exactly like the books to me.

Quote:
The animation in this episode also deserves particular comment. Character movements in most action scenes seemed more awkward and stiff than normal, with the exception of Kaname's swimming scene, which was executed in a slightly different style. I'd be curious to know who is responsible for that particular scene.

I thought it looked especially clunky as well. Hopefully they get back on track for the last bit.

Quote:
Or at least it should be a shocker, anyway. I've known this since the beginning of the season due to some novel spoilers that I accidentally saw, but it was definitely an unexpected turn. Yes, Kalinin's behavior back during Amalgam's attack on the Merida Island facility was fishy, and he had quite the storied career before joining Mithril, but I find it hard to believe that he would be so easily swayed to the Dark Side.

I found it to be pretty heavily foreshadowed in the novels, but definitely less so in the anime. The anime skipped an important scene which I think combined with his somewhat fishy actions when the base got attacked made me pretty sure this was happening.

That scene is in the novel that they covered with a drama cd. I have no idea if it is included in the drama cd. It really makes me wish they could have extended the anime another 4 episodes to cover that one last novel. Pretty slim chance the eventual English release of this will include it which also annoys me.

This is content from novels before where the anime is, but I'm marking it because the scene itself might show up in a flashback or something later, spoiler[the scene I'm talking about was Kalinin meeting with Leonard. While it was not at all a friendly meeting and the full content of their conversation isn't mentioned at the time, it provides a moment where he could have interacted with someone who may have the ability to persuade him. That scene of them meeting was also made to seem kind of important (it is super short yet got an illustration too) and yet nothing seems to come of it which was also a bit fishy.
On the other hand, I don't feel like the anime showed any events or situations that could have motivated his actions even if there was clearly something going on with him during the attack.]
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As crisp as the writing has generally been, it bogs down this episode in the scenes with the ex-military guy, who comes off like an old-school mecha coaches, and the effort to insert the F word into every other sentence he speaks seemed strained.

If you're talking about how they executed that scene, I agree that it could have been done better.
But speaking as someone who grew up as a military brat, and even did my own time in the service, let me tell you, they held back on that guy.

The old Vets they show in the Media today are all using their 'civilian-faces'.
That is the polite speech they use when formally addressing superiors or normal civilian types, because they honestly do not wish to offend those who wouldn't understand.
Its basically Souske's normal speech pattern. Just not as rigid

They have stories to tell and they know that if they start cursing then they lose the audience because people would be talking about them cursing and not listening to the story they are saying.

But if you can get them to drop the act and be real, then there is No Filter.
They WILL insert the F-word, the C-word, the S-word and every other curse word into the conversation and use them as nouns, adjectives and verbs in ways too hilarious to imagine. If they were in a multicultural unit, you can bet that one of the firsts they shared with each other was how to curse in their mother tongue.

When they introduced Lt Col Courtney I instantly remembered several old vets I had known and laughed. Good people, great stories, and a riot to be around. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer of them every year.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The scene where he shoots the Mithril guy from Hong Kong and essentially leaves him to die suggests that he isn't just infiltrating the organization, either – if so, he's taken “deep cover” to new extremes

So the scene were he could have killed all of them and/or tortured them but instead leave them all alive is somehow indicating that he's not infiltrating... Rolling Eyes
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Courtney's f-bombs were hilarious (not quite as funny as Fumoffu's rugby episode, but close), best part of the episode and a welcome distraction for just how shonky the training sequence animation was on the whole. I'd hope that gets fixed up by the blu-ray release, because that was really noticeable.

Kalinin wasn't entirely a shock given the time Mithril's base came under attack, but there's still enough to suggest the hope he's deep undercover. After all, if he'd truly gone bad why not just kill that guy from the truck when you've got what you need from him, rather than leaving a chance?
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
The animation is nowhere as bad as Golden Kamuy but episode 10 was not the first to feature clunky animation. The last 3 or 4 have had moments of awkward animation(particularly action sequences). It’s either outsourcing or time constraints because I’ve noticed multiple instances where characters go off model. The jean Reno bad guy went off model a lot spoiler[before he met his demise.]
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:59 am Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
The animation is nowhere as bad as Golden Kamuy but episode 10 was not the first to feature clunky animation. The last 3 or 4 have had moments of awkward animation(particularly action sequences). It’s either outsourcing or time constraints because I’ve noticed multiple instances where characters go off model. The jean Reno bad guy went off model a lot spoiler[before he met his demise.]

That scene with Sousuke in the hospital bed was a disaster. The part where he set the guy trying to kill him on fire looked like something out of South Park.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
I'm quite sure Kalinin is not genuinely working for Amalgam. As others have said, he had no reason to shoot the guy in a way that gave him 30 min to seek treatment (and leave them with a functional truck to go get it), and leave the other unharmed.

But we saw Kalinin and one other man get on the sub at the last second before they launched. We've never gotten a follow up of that, but I don't think both of them would've gone undetected by the rest of the crew, especially when trying to leave it, so Kalinin must've been deliberately put ashore to join Amalgam later on.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
That scene with Sousuke in the hospital bed was a disaster. The part where he set the guy trying to kill him on fire looked like something out of South Park.

Blob of fire fades in, blob of fire fades out. That doesn’t sound right, but I don’t know enough about fire to dispute it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But we saw Kalinin and one other man get on the sub at the last second before they launched.

I just checked, and both of those people had darker hair and lighter skin. Neither could have been him.

teferi wrote:
The part where he set the guy trying to kill him on fire looked like something out of South Park.

Yeah, that looked awful. Also Sousuke climbing over the hurdles looked like it was dropping frames or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9