Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin: Hokkaido Arc Manga Resumes in June


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
revolutionotaku



Joined: 19 May 2011
Posts: 750
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean he won't be attending any anime conventions anymore?
http://animecons.com/guests/bio.shtml/820/Nobuhiro_Watsuki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 4629
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Kokuryu Daimao wrote:
Fandoms are a funny thing.

This basically comes down to "can you separate the person from their work?"

For people who make a living off of their actual appearances, like actors or spokespeople, its hard to separate the fiction from reality. So when they behave contrary to the preconceived image they have created, people generally react negatively and drastically. Because they are emotionally connected to the image, they feel a sense of betrayal. So much that is nearly impossible for the actor to continue their previous career paths.

This can also extends into the world of athletes as well, but its easier for people to separate their life from their work. How many times have people heard reports of an athletes behavior off the field, but they continue to play because of their performance on the field. Granted, its not happening as often as it used to, but it happened enough to show that people can separate the person from the work. Sure, he beat his GF up, but did you see him knock out whats-his-name in the 8th round?

Indirect creators, such as artists, mangaka, writers, programmers, etc. fall into a different area where its easier for people to separate the personal lives of the artist from their works because when people hear the name they don't imagine the artist's face, but the works they created. They are not emotionally connected to the creator, but the world that was created.

This happens more often than most realize. How many times has a series been delayed due to a mangaka being sick and instead of feeling concern for the health of the mangaka, peoples' first reaction is anger that there is a delay.

This happens across all mediums as well. Take the series A Song of Ice and Fire as an example. I know more people who are more emotionally connected to the fictional characters than the well-being of the writer. "R.R. Martin should just hurry up and finish writing Game of Thrones before he dies" is something I hear often. Concern over how he lives his life and his general health extends only to the point of him finishing his work.

With all that said, I can see them deciding to resume work on Rurouni Kenshin.

We're talking about a long running series with a sizable fan base.
Fans who are generally more connected to that fictional world than its creator.
Additionally, we're talking about Japan here.

I feel the opposite. Actors only play parts and athletes only perform according to their sports' rules. Writers and artists put their minds and emotions in their work. I care much more about what they think outside their art than actors or athletes. Appearances aren't the only way to feel connected to people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SailorNaruto



Joined: 16 Mar 2016
Posts: 174
Location: Illinois, USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what's more astonishing: the fact I didn't even KNOW there was a Ruroni Kenshon sequal in publication, the fact that it's creator got slammed with a child porn charge, or the fact that Japan is just giving him a slap on the wrist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaori Makimura



Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 117
Location: usa
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I, too, am in the 1-4 category.
The laws in Japan need to further evolve so that crimes of this nature can be more severely punished, but there isn't anything else to be said about it.
Everyone is upset, but I can't help feeling like we're beating a dead horse at this point.

(And thank you, @ 881939 for clarifying the facts of the case for me.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kagamiku



Joined: 25 Mar 2013
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I feel like some of you are putting the viewing of CP on the same level as raping a child.

Japanese legalized the viewing of CP up until 2014, and the citizens were given a several month period to where they could hand in their CP before they would face consequences. It's no wonder so shortly after it was banned that the sentence would still be minor. There are obviously things wrong with watching CP, but I personally think US laws are too harsh. Under US law, you're basically screwed over for life because of that sex offender registry list.(it's nowhere near comparative to rape in my eyes) Japanese laws seem a bit too lenient for the crime committed, but we honestly don't know the details to how it was acquired. Under certain circumstances, he may not have funded the exploration of children at all. It really depends on how it was purchased. Needless to say, I don't think Watsuki committed a crime that warrants ruining his life. Some of these posts seem way too vigilante for my liking.


Last edited by Kagamiku on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kiminobokuwa



Joined: 18 Sep 2015
Posts: 547
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
This man is justifying child porn!!!.

But he's not. I'm starting to think English is not your first language. You don't seem to grasp most of what he said. Nobody in this thread is defending CP. Some are arguing on the type of CP, since some types are much worse then others, even though it's all bad.

You and tentensan are very angrily replying to post that you say defend CP or claim that people think the mangaka should not be "free to do what he wants" when nobody is actually saying that.

The types of people on this tread seem to be:
1. People who think the mangaka should be punished more.
2. People who think the mangaka was punished enough.
3. People who will boycott his work.
4. People who will continue to read his work.

You are a 1-3 combo, while I, for example am a 1-4.

Nobody here is picking option 5: "I think it's OK he had CP and am totally OK with CP."



You obviously did not read the previous replies. They are trying to downplay what it is. Child porn is child porn. It does not matter on the type. And I do not care about the stupid manga anymore. And I understand he got a punishment. You need to reread the comments that account made because there is no defending it. I am speaking calmly as I can, but this thread is toxic and english is my first langauge. You're twisting up your own words here too, you're saying CP is bad but not bad at the same time. Yes, some actiosn are worse than others but he purchased it. There fore he is a pedophile but some people seem to be acting like there was no real children involved at all and are even comparing this matter to fiction. I was really calm in the beginning, but after all the replies I got defending this man's actions or CP in general is just baffling. Seriously baffling. And someone claimed your #5 already. Minus the second half. Some people in this thread think that it is okay for his to have it vecause he could not have helped himself to owning it. Think about it. Are you saying that those comments are okay or no??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#881939



Joined: 23 Apr 2018
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro, thank you for your rational post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tentensan



Joined: 22 Feb 2013
Posts: 102
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
#881939 wrote:
tentensan wrote:
#881939 wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Oh my god, do I have to explain it to you too?? Or are you just nitpicking hecause you have nothing else to say?? Okay, i'll use baby text to explain it to you. This author bought child porn, therefore his money help support the child rapists into harming the child because he was paying them to see child porn. There, makes sense right?? He payed the child rapists to make child porn. It is exactly how it sounds. His monry went into the harming of that child. Plain and simple. And it's not like he was accused of it, he was charged and fined for it and he is therefore guilty..


There are a lot of faults with your comments. First, CP is not necessarily about rape. Even the nudity is considered CP. Second, the distributors pirated those videos which were created decades ago so the money Watsuki paid does not go to the rapists, but to pirates. Watsuki buying those videos does not harm anyone at all. It is still illegal so he paid a fine. Now that he has paid a fine, he should continue his work and earn more money.


NO. STOP. Are you kidding me? Stop defending this man and trying to lessen his crimes. What does he have over you to defend him like this?? Are your nostalgia goggles on high?? You're seriously trying to say that Child Porn isn't rape?? The children can't consent to sexual acts you complete utter imbecile. Like, are you seriously saying that child porn isn't rape? Did you actually see the files yourself or something? Who cares it it was just nude children posing even, it's still ILLEGAL!! Stop making it seem like nothing and that the man should be free to do what he wants! He committed a crime!

Also, who the fudge cares if he got it from "pirates"? He still owned it and bought it! He is still responsible for his actions. Ya'll are terrible. I can't believe this fanbase has sunk so low as to defend someone owning child porn. Damn.


Do you know the concept of freedom of speech? I have the legitimate right to defend him. And attorneys' job is basically defending people who made a mistake. So based on your logic, a person who made a mistake should never work again? Maybe you live in an ancient world. Modern justice system is designed to reform people who made a mistake, NOT accuse them forever. Your claim that you will never forgive him is pretty uncivilized and savage.


You're free to defend him all you want. I'm not even trying to say you aren't. I'm just baffled people are going so low as to defend his actions and owning child porn. Like sure there may be different "levels" of child porn but damn, child porn is still child porn. Are we seriously saying that what he did isn't bad? And he was found guilty of his crime. So in the eyes of the law, he was guilty. Sure the punishment was a slap on the wrist, but that doesn't mean his crime was any less of vile and disgusting. Damn. I'm leaving this thread. I can't believe some of the things I read here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 14767
Location: Inn of the Last Home
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Locking this ridiculous thread down. This article was a simple news announcement that the manga arc was continuing. Yet many of you turned this into an absolute shit show debating child pornography. Both sides are to blame for this trash heap and trust me PM warnings will be sent to many of you regarding your conduct.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group