• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are "Upscaled" Blu-Rays Worth The Upgrade?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
@Spoofer:
That makes a lot of sense. I'm not big on Anime, though, as I'm mostly uninterested in buying series I already own the Manga version of.
So, I went at it the other way round. Making a list of all the Anime I'd like to own and see if they have any English/German releases. Minus the stuff I already bought now, that's only ~50 items - easy enough to keep a detailed list for.
Honestly, it's actually more about finding the cheapest (while decent) version than finding the perfect one.

That being said, I'd still like to avoid any mispurchases. The fact that not all BD are proper remastered editions and some are simply (sometimes failed) upscales is not helpful. The article is right, though. Needs to be judged case-by-case

(NGE is pretty much the only series where I want to have the German dub, though. Generally, dub/sub or language choice don't matter too much to me (can always go for subs if the dub sucks), but that particular dub is really fantastic. I'll just wait it out ...
I lost that box so many years ago, I can wait a few more.)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:45 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
You do have a good point there. I have the original Geneon [Gungrave] release, and I can't say that I miss the days of seven discs for a 26 episode series.
I don't know, there may be reason to feel nostalgic for those days, now that we're starting to get 26-episode series on 3 DVDs, or 13-episode series on 1 DVD. Obviously that's not as much of an issue on Blu-Ray, but for series that must remain DVD-only for whatever reason, even 6 or 7 eps per disc can be pushing it.

The 6-7 DVD format has been going on for more than 10 years now and since what is in my mind is the best Audio/visual DVD presentation possible... Tenchi Muyo's Ultimate T*H*X OVA release... has the equivalent of 9 episodes per DVD early in the history of the format, I think there was more going on than bad compression.

If they don't care how it looks, it's not going to look good. I've seen Kanon in both ADV's 6 DVD release and Funimation's 4 DVD release and I'm fairly certain the show shouldn't look so diluted as Funimation's version. Maybe I mean faded? Whitish? The colors are all there but it's all brighter than it should be. It's not the only series they did to look like that and especially not the only ADV rerelease. Their own shows, like Moonphase and School Rumble, that were rereleased in the 4 DVD format? They're ok though I do miss the cat ear kanji that Moonphase had on its angle button.

I'll take 3 upscaled BDs over 7 or more regular DVDs every time. But replacing just six DVDs? That's where I pass.

But we have to remember this is for early digital shows and not shows that are on film so things like Ranma 1/2 should be better on BD. On the other hand, sometimes, it just ends up pointing how inferior the design and animation really is. Example: I can say Magic Knight Rayearth has a great color palette that really pops out on BD but that's about it.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote
The other night I caught a recent re-airing of FLCL on Adult Swim and now they're using the Q-TEC upscale from the Funimation release. It's not as bad as people claim, but I did notice contrast issues during a scene where a strong lighting effect was used.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to chime in because of recent development in my personal DVD collection. Some of my older funimatoin and Pioneer releases are starting to signs of Disc-Rot & they no longer play because of this. Now these are early releases after all, but regardless it's disheartening to see happen.

The only reason I bring this up because I'm for Up-scaled releases if it will persevere my collection longer, despite the audio/image quality. We all know that Blu-Ray disc are layered thicker than DVD's, have a longer lifer span & nearly impossible to scratch/make unreadable.

I might be in the minority here but as a collector I want my physical media to last as long as possible Sad [/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:

I don't end up with the best worldwide release of a show as a result (again, unless I wanted to pay Japanese prices on everything, or Korean maybe from what I hear), and some shows I'd love on BD (Evangelion, Berserk, etc.) but have to live with the DVD releases (which aren't bad for these two), but it's a policy that keeps me sane and on-budget, so I'm fine with it.

If you don't mind extending things beyond North America for once, the UK got a nice-looking Blu-ray set of Berserk. It'd be pretty comparable to the usual North American price even with importing. (Seriously though, why was it never released over here?)

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I'm just going to chime in because of recent development in my personal DVD collection. Some of my older funimatoin and Pioneer releases are starting to signs of Disc-Rot & they no longer play because of this. Now these are early releases after all, but regardless it's disheartening to see happen.

Now this seems really strange. How were they stored? Professionally-pressed DVDs should theoretically last for decades so long as they're not abused.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Top Gun"]
Spoofer wrote:

I don't end up with the best worldwide release of a show as a result (again, unless I wanted to pay Japanese prices on everything, or Korean maybe from what I hear), and

Now this seems really strange. How were they stored? Professionally-pressed DVDs should theoretically last for decades so long as they're not abused.

Really strange, I tend to go back to disks like that on occasion and I have not had a single issue with a normal commercial press, like my Fushigi Yuugi, Nadia, Card Captor Sakura all still look as good as ever.

Then again, I have rarely had an issue with a laserdisc either? (Moldiver vol 1 did go south on me some years ago and had to be replaced.)

As far as something that would be amazing to get the Blu Ray treatment, Haibane Renmei. Please. The second release DVD was much Clearer, but I would love to see as clear as possible.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
If you don't mind extending things beyond North America for once, the UK got a nice-looking Blu-ray set of Berserk. It'd be pretty comparable to the usual North American price even with importing. (Seriously though, why was it never released over here?)

I imagine we'll see a BD set for the original series in the US before long. Media Blasters had the original license, and IDK if the license has to wait to expire or what, but, either way by the time I actually feel like a (billionth) rewatch I bet it'll be out on Blu for us. Certainly a better chance than Eva, anyway.

I haven't experienced actual rot on a disc yet, but I've been watching my GTO DVDs this week, and one looked cloudy as all hell. I know mere cloudiness isn't the same as actual rot, and 2 episodes into the disc it's playing fine, but it's still unusual so it gave me pause. Definitely something to keep in the back of my mind as the years go on.

Sorry to hear about yours. Which releases were they, out of curiosity?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
As far as something that would be amazing to get the Blu Ray treatment, Haibane Renmei. Please. The second release DVD was much Clearer, but I would love to see as clear as possible.

The Japan 2010 6-disc BluRay release of Haibane Renmei has English audio(no subtitles). The 2015 4-disc release should probably have it too.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:

The Japan 2010 6-disc BluRay release of Haibane Renmei has English audio(no subtitles). The 2015 4-disc release should probably have it too.

Thank you for that. The English language version is good enough that I will see if I can find an import of this title. Hands down one of my favorites.

Do you know if it saw significantly better video quality?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Do you know if it saw significantly better video quality?

I don't have it. But here's a discussion thread dedicated to the Haibane Renmei Blu Ray, it should have some info;
http://cff.ssw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2662
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

I don't have it. But here's a discussion thread dedicated to the Haibane Renmei Blu Ray, it should have some info;
http://cff.ssw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2662

Thank you for your help!
The Bandsaw Vigilante

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Surprised nobody's yet mentioned Sentai's upcoming Legend of the Galactic Heroes BD release (in July), which is going to be upscaled from the Japanese DVDs, which themselves were produced from the 16mm film-masters. Now, that said, (A) this series was pre-digital and originally produced on film stock, and (B) the current HIDIVE streaming versions look pretty good, so I'm optimistic that this is gonna land more on the Ranma 1/2 side of things than the FLCL side.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm more unhappy about LotGH's DVD edits than anything, but I pre-ordered it regardless. =/

Are you saying Ranma was upscaled?
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
I'm more unhappy about LotGH's DVD edits than anything, but I pre-ordered it regardless. =/

Are you saying Ranma was upscaled?

I'm 99.99% sure that Ranma was a restoration from 16mm film. I own the set and it certainly looks like it!
Kaiteki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I have the 1080p rework of Maria-sama ga Miteru, all four
seasons ,and it was totally worth it. Specially the first season.
The character design and art looked like they cleaned up
some of the inconsistencies. My dvd version looked washed out
and facial profiles were awful, specially in the green house scene
with Yumi and Sachiko second or third episode. The art work
was very inconsistent over all in the first season. This 1080p
version even looks good on my 65 inch 4K HDR monitor.
Some one had to do some work on this, the character art
work looks better. Maybe they found some better footage and
remastered it. I have watched this entire series close to 10 times.
Now that I have the 1080p version, I am watching it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4