• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:33 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
How does inventory work in GGO? I thought they had to physically carry everything thus the magazine/grenade pouches as well as M's giant backpack to carry his shield. But then Pito suddenly equips a helmet, armor and several guns out of nowhere and she wasn't carrying any bags or anything.

I did get a laugh at the green haired girl's short lived stint as a pacifist.
"I don't believe in killing people, even in games"
"Oh nooooo, my buddies died in this video game, that other player must not be human, now I can kill her!"

It's a bit weird the other teams keep calling Pito a monster when she's the only one technically plaything this match how it's supposed to be played. It's a battle royal, while it may not be against the rules the, teams trying to gang up together are going against the spirit of the game more then Pito who is just killing everyone.

Finally, it felt a bit forced that MMTM would suddenly charge the log cabin. Only one member of PM4 was wounded, the rest of the team was fine and in a fortified position. LF and SHINC were both closing in on the cabin. The smartest thing to do would have been to let them all fight it out and then take out the survivor. Attacking a fortified position while having to worry about being attack by two other teams also attacking that position just doesn't make sense.

But aside from nitpicks, the episode was pretty cool. Looking forward to the next one.

There's two kinds of inventory, the immediate, on-character one, which is like the hotbar. Stuff you can simply reach out and grab, can be damaged, etc, and storage, which requires fiddling in the menu to retrieve, and isn't something you can really do in the middle of a firefight.

It APPEARS that strength determines what you can carry with you on your body; Fuka boosted her strength, which lets her carry and use both grenade launchers and a bunch of her ammo, while LLENN can only carry four or five magazines, and M can carry a massive shield made of ballistic space Armor.

Pitou was retrieving all her gear from storage because she was only just now getting serious.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:33 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Pito must have bought some pretty powerful plot armor before the game started to survive a direct headshot.

Everything about her arc makes me roll my eye so hard, it's so idiotic.
High enough vitality will allow a player to survive at least one head-shot. Never was it ever established that under any and all circumstances that a head-shot was a guaranteed instant kill. You simply assumed it was.

In this example, the only reason she didn't die was because M healed her in addition to her high health pool. This will not be the last time a high vitality build is used to face tank an otherwise powerful potentially fatal attack nor was it the first.

Fukaziroh is another character with super high Vitality. It's the reason she only lost a moderate amount of HP despite walking right into a bomb. Remember this is not just just your typical shooter game. The RPG element absolutely does affect encounters that would otherwise have a predictable outcome were everything more "realistic".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Really hoping the shot of M and Pito indicate she really does have feelings for him...

Which shot, the one where she's unconscious and he's kissing her? Or where she stops him from setting off the grenade and killing them both (I think that's what he was about to do, I'm not sure - I took it that he tossed it out the window when he knew she woke up in time)? I don't see how either would communicate her having feelings for him.

Ok, so if they have Nerve Gear and dying in the game means dying in real life, I'm lost as to how Llenn killing her means she won't die in real life. I was under the impression that she would kill herself if anyone but Llenn beat her, but Nerve Gear kinda throws a wrench into that - was that story all a lie?

Green haired girl's real life job is probably in pest control. Smile But I don't see making alliances as cheating since it's not against the rules (and if it were against the "spirit of the game" there'd be a rule against it, it's such an obvious strategy), so I didn't think they "got what they deserved." Well, they did, but they deserved it for stupidly not being on guard for such betrayal, not for trying to team up. Even if it hadn't been Pitou, I knew they were toast the instant they turned their backs to her.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ok, so if they have Nerve Gear and dying in the game means dying in real life, I'm lost as to how Llenn killing her means she won't die in real life. I was under the impression that she would kill herself if anyone but Llenn beat her, but Nerve Gear kinda throws a wrench into that - was that story all a lie?

I thought Nerve Gear only worked like that during the SAO incident and probably only Kayaba knew how to make it work like that. So I thought that Pito plans to commit suicide if she dies in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Yea, it is kind of fuzzy as to whether the Nerve gear will kill her automatically or not. I don't think so, it sounded like they just used the Nerve gear because it didn't automatically log them out when her emotions start running to high. M was panicking when he thought she was dying but that could have just been him thinking she would kill herself if she died in game. On the other hand she didn't seem to remember her promise with LLENN when she was reminded of it at the bar.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

It's such nonsense, it feels like they were forced to add this garbage in because the show needed "stakes."

Hikaru Suzuhara wrote:
High enough vitality will allow a player to survive at least one head-shot. Never was it ever established that under any and all circumstances that a head-shot was a guaranteed instant kill. You simply assumed it was.

In this example, the only reason she didn't die was because M healed her in addition to her high health pool. This will not be the last time a high vitality build is used to face tank an otherwise powerful potentially fatal attack nor was it the first.

When exactly was the opposite established? Like, for a show that's weird about treating the game avatars as if they're living breathing entities, who somehow feel physical pain, and chill at bars eating and drinking, surviving a headshot because someone healed you after you got shot, and would have lost your HP, is pretty inconsistent.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

It's such nonsense, it feels like they were forced to add this garbage in because the show needed "stakes."

Hikaru Suzuhara wrote:

When exactly was the opposite established? Like, for a show that's weird about treating the game avatars as if they're living breathing entities, who somehow feel physical pain, and chill at bars eating and drinking, surviving a headshot because someone healed you after you got shot, and would have lost your HP, is pretty inconsistent.

1) It's not so much as the show wanted to add "stakes" and more like Pito herself wanted to feel mortal danger.

2) I'll get back at you later. I'm sleep deprived atm. Neutral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Another minor note to add to the head shot conversation, most kills seem to be rather instantaneous in GGO so far. Whether it be head shot, body shot etc, if a player receives a fatal wound they pretty much die instantly. If they receive a non fatal wound their health goes down and that's it (I don't think we've seen anyone die from bleeding out).

Yet M had enough time to dash over to Pito, pull out a healing syringe and inject her with it while her health was slowly going down, and the healing seemed to counteract her health loss which prevented what would have been a mortal wound. The question is why was her health going down so slowly as compared to everyone else who receives all their damage instantly and dies immediately?

Pretty sure the answer is just that it's a plot device but maybe the novel explained it a bit better.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they got Plot Armor in a loot box.
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Snip

Her health was going down the same speed as everyone else's it's just that she has so much health that it takes a few more seconds to go to zero.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Did she focus her stats on her health or something? given how fast she moved when she was taking out all those teams it seemed that she would be the speedy/agility type. Or does GGO have a leveling/progression system where you can get stronger over time?
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Did she focus her stats on her health or something? given how fast she moved when she was taking out all those teams it seemed that she would be the speedy/agility type. Or does GGO have a leveling/progression system where you can get stronger over time?

As far as I know in ggo you gain xp to get levels which give you points that you distribute however you want to six different stats.

Her strength and health are her highest stats but all her stats are pretty powerful. Pitohui was using that character during sao's beta test, started using it again the moment vr games came back after the sao incident, and started playing ggo as soon as the service started.

Pito's level is probably just below the sao's front liners.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
that makes more sense then. I guess it's more similar to games like the division where you level, gain skills and gear to boost your stats rather than be purely skill based like competitive shooters.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
1) It's not so much as the show wanted to add "stakes" and more like Pito herself wanted to feel mortal danger.

Pito "herself" doesn't exist, her entire macabre plot feels completely out of left field, especially since up until then the show was mostly about a socially awkward tall girl who wants to play video games, with a short avatar, not someone who literally wants to kill themselves and their friend, or whoever.

Honestly, I enjoyed the show better when it was just the fun, ridiculous adventures of Karen and her avatar, and competing in video game tournaments, especially since season one of SAO already covered "die in the game, die in real life."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Maybe they got Plot Armor in a loot box.

This sounds like the most reasonable explanation to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12