• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
EDIT: Or were the launchers 4.5 million? Yeah, I think that was their price. That's a FORTUNE in GGO. Assuming (BIG assumption here, granted) a 1:1 conversion that's 9 million yen, or about 90 thousand dollars, give or take. But even if it's 10:1 or even as much as 100:1 that's still pushing a grand for two launchers, plus who knows how much for ammunition.

No, they were 3 million apiece. So 6 million for the two launchers, before buying all the ammo. The conversation rate isn't 1:1, it's around 100:1. The total amount he gave them would be 100,000 yen, and the launchers would be 60,000 yen. So depending on the exact exchange rate, he gave them about 1000 dollars, and they used $600 for the launchers, then more for all the ammo.
atikabubu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Why even bother discussing economics when it doesn't have any impact whatsoever on the story? If they need new gear they'll just get sugardaddied again, or spend exactly 5 seconds on a timeskip to get it. The original SAO writer didn't have a clue about online games, this guy doesn't either.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
While I haven't played a FPS game in probably a decade (when was Doom II in circulation?), I have played plenty of other games with team-vs-team tournaments. In those, the majority of the participants are just dead meat for the truly buffed/skilled teams - and I'm saying that as someone with experience on both sides of that divide. Hence the bulk of the teams just being fodder for the truly good teams doesn't seem out of line to me.

Besides, it's not like anime doesn't have a long tradition of this kind of thing. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
In those, the majority of the participants are just dead meat for the truly buffed/skilled teams - and I'm saying that as someone with experience on both sides of that divide. Hence the bulk of the teams just being fodder for the truly good teams doesn't seem out of line to me.
True enough, but there is a breaking point where it becomes less "Our team is so skilled that we stomped an enemy team, awesome!" and more "Okay this guy is pointing his gun at the sky and spinning around in circles...I guess I'll kill him, but I'm not gonna feel proud of it". And, for me at least, a team crouching motionless in the middle of an intersection close enough to goose each other RIGHT AFTER the system scan went off...if that happened in a tournament I was watching, I wouldn't be awed at how awesome Llen was for beating them, I'd be snarking at them for being so terrible.

Key wrote:
Besides, it's not like anime doesn't have a long tradition of this kind of thing. . .
That's also true, but just because other writers have been lazy before, doesn't mean I have to give these writers a pass for being lazy here!

I'm fully aware that this is more of a personal pet peeve than something most viewers probably notice or care about, so I'm not trying to convince anyone else that they should also be bothered by it, just trying to explain that it could so easily be better (imho of course) without needing to be more confusing, with only a couple minor changes.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:59 am Reply with quote
atikabubu wrote:
Why even bother discussing economics when it doesn't have any impact whatsoever on the story? If they need new gear they'll just get sugardaddied again, or spend exactly 5 seconds on a timeskip to get it. The original SAO writer didn't have a clue about online games, this guy doesn't either.

I bring it up because it goes to how people play the game. If grenade launchers are THAT EXPENSIVE and rare, then you'd be an idiot to always craft your strategy on the assumption that your enemy has one, and knows how to use it.

Going into a PVP only tournament with weapons that are basically useless against players because all of them have or can have an inexpensive shield unit is like showing up at a shootout with nerf guns.

On the other hand, going into a PVP tournament and expecting somebody there who has and knows how to (accurately!) use a grenade launcher as an artillery piece is like expecting that same shootout to be interrupted by a *tank*.

Much like Kirito's sword in SAO II's GGO arc, this is a type of play that is TECHNICALLY possible, but very unlikely to be in any way useful or cost effective. There's been no mention of a prize for winning either of the Squad Jams that I can recall, aside from fame, so whatever ammunition or other equipment you use during it would appear to be on your own tab. The problem here is that we have a player who quite literally cares *nothing* for the cost of things, which skews the playing field in her favour - great equipment is no replacement for skill, but there's still a bit of a 'pay to win' aspect in GGO. Great skill also can't make up for piss-poor equipment. the main difference with other 'pay to win' games is that it's actually *possible* to buy absolutely everything we've ever seen in GGO that isn't unique or in some other way incredibly special, like a prize or something, entirely within the game, given actually somewhat reasonable amounts of time. (Just much longer than LLENN and Fuka had)
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^Given that the target areas were out of sight to Fukaziroh (hence LLENN acting as a spotter), it wouldn't really be possible to aim using the in game targeting system, so she would have to go by feel (with corrections from LLENN). So just like how the bullet line never appeared with M's sniping since he wasn't using the bullet circle, the bullet line doesn't appear when she is using the grenade launcher this way.

We do see a bullet line appear though.... and the railway team reacts to the bullet line so they definitely see it too. I'm not sure if the writers were having a brainfart or if the bullet line was supposed to appear, but it's definitely there.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:38 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
^Given that the target areas were out of sight to Fukaziroh (hence LLENN acting as a spotter), it wouldn't really be possible to aim using the in game targeting system, so she would have to go by feel (with corrections from LLENN). So just like how the bullet line never appeared with M's sniping since he wasn't using the bullet circle, the bullet line doesn't appear when she is using the grenade launcher this way.

We do see a bullet line appear though.... and the railway team reacts to the bullet line so they definitely see it too. I'm not sure if the writers are having a brainfart or if the bullet line is supposed to appear, but it's definitely there.

The bullet line appear when you touch the trigger, regardless whether you can see your target or not. To do lineless sniping like M and Shirley's team you need to only to touch the trigger at the very end.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm expecting it to last four episodes, perhaps five if the aftermath isn't given a full wind-down week.

You're gonna need to recalculate that since the show is only 12 episodes.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
Cam0 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

We do see a bullet line appear though.... and the railway team reacts to the bullet line so they definitely see it too. I'm not sure if the writers are having a brainfart or if the bullet line is supposed to appear, but it's definitely there.

The bullet line appear when you touch the trigger, regardless whether you can see your target or not. To do lineless sniping like M and Shirley's team you need to only to touch the trigger at the very end.

It's not The bullet LINE, but the bullet CIRCLE that actually helps you aim in GGO. Fuka couldn't see the circle, but the line worked fine.

(Well, both help, but in this case, the cullet circle is the most important, and is probably why grenade launchers aren't extra in demand, because being able to see where the grenade will hit would essentially be like a wallhax.)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm in love with Pito now too! Best fights and characterizations, though a little disappointed that we didn't see the first spoiler[girl-imposter], I guarantee those would be all over GGO if this were real...
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
^I personally would already be liking her character if she was voiced by somebody else, but I have to say, Yoko Hikasa’s voice acting as Pito makes her an absolute delight in my eyes and makes the show many times more fun. I’m already a fan of her past work, but it’s like she was born for this role based on her nuances in quiet scenes which are then contrasted well when she has to be bombastic for killing sprees. She sounds like she genuinely enjoys doing the role too, so that’s always a good thing.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
There were some nice soundtracks, intense action and the stuff with that weirdo female player who used the same ammo/magazines as LLENN was pretty funny. On an enjoyment scale I'd say this was without a doubt one of the most enjoyable episodes so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny that one guy said he can grope Miyu without triggering harassment if he does it after he dies, and somehow completely forgot that they're in the middle of a publicly broadcasted tournament. That would be like tiger woods thinking he can walk into the bushes to take a dump in the middle of a golf tournament and no one would notice heh.

Btw, is there a reason resigning seems to be a better alternative to being killed? Seemed some players were trying to do that vs dying?

Also, I know bodies become immortal objects afterwards but does that prevent them from being looted for guns and ammo? when Pito fought she was grabbing weapons off enemies left and right so I would think LLEN might be able to do the same, at least with sidearms if she didn't want to use up all her primary weapon ammo.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
^
That depends. Guns generally would get dropped when the character dies, so they'd be easy to pick up. Items you actually had to take off the body - like ammo clips - might be a different story, and items the character had in storage you definitely couldn't get.

And I imagine that dying in-game is an unpleasant experience even if there's nothing painful about it. Or it could be that there's an experience hit for death vs. resignation; in many games I've played, you retain your experience up to that point if you resign but lose current-mission gains if you die.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
If I were Pito I'd be annoyed that the dude denied a kill from me. Getting high kill counts is something skilled or competitive minded players strive for. So if I were Pito, I'd honestly think the dude resigned as a way to spite me. Probably not the reason why the dude resigned though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12