• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - The Plural of Anime is

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
And it's because of Streamline, and Carl Macek, that we have the Japanimation/Anime/hybrid confusion that we have today--

In the early 90's, when Streamline wanted to sell Akira and Fist of the North Star as cool!, and edgy!, and different! and Certainly Not Your Parent's Toons, the trailer blasted "THIS is Japanimation!"
The term became so identified with weirdo-cheesy 90's Streamline dubs, and the, yes, bad dubbing of afternoon Robotech and Star Blazers series, which were still seen as cheap and kitschy, that anime fans wanted to distance themselves from the snickers of the early 90's (who hadn't yet seen it or given up the anti-Japanese dismissiveness of the corporate 80's), and say that this was a new quality thing.

It settled into the general unspoken idea that Voltron and Speed Racer were "Japanimation", and Studio Ghibli was "Anime". Although, of course, one would have to have an actual working knowledge of one OR the other to make the difference...It's bad enough that every Hollywood movie adaptation today is "Based on the hit manga!" Rolling Eyes

That's the thing that really bugs me: I don't hear "Japanimation" quite so much as I hear "Japanime." "Japanimation" I can understand, because that was a term they were deliberately attempting to market. "Japanime" seems to be more of sheer confusion and not remembering either word right and then it spreading at the local level through word of mouth or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3