• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel Film's English Dub Debuts in U.S. Theaters on June 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote
You know, all I did was state my opinion and didn't expect to have a wall of text on my opinion. Holy cow. Maybe next time, I'll refrain from posting stuff at all. Geez.
frozenkex wrote:

1) Then you are not good at appreciating nuance I'd say. He was playing Shirou significantly differently from Kirito at a lower pitch.
2) It seems some of the dislike stems from the fact that he did voice other 2 popular characters like Kirito and Eren, and they associate the voice with those, but i dont think that's fair way of judging.
3) So where is this "meh" casting?
4) JP actors like Yuki Kaji or Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (who are really talented) don't sound much more different from their MC roles than Bryce between his.

1) It sounded like he was like he was playing Kirito again; not sure if UBW was done around the same time as one of the SAO seasons but that's what it sounded like. It's nothing to do with nuance or anything like that all.
2)Considering I'm a huge fan of his take on Asbel Lhant, more so than Sakurai's? Nah. Just didn't like his Shirou.
3) Personal opinion?
4)Kaji actually has a significant amount of range; he's just generally not giving a chance to use it that much. Compare his Ryubi from Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors, his take on Haru from Accel World (especially during the early stretches when Haru's not very social and rather closed off) and Q-vier from VVV. I'm not familiar with Matsuoka all that much but Akashi (M3), Aoba (BC) and Array (Rinne) all sound fairly different.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
frozenkex wrote:
getumbuck wrote:
I mean when compared to someone like Noland North or Monica Rial who have dozens of voices that each sound different and original, I personally think the guy comes off as lazy. Sort of like Henry Jon Benjamin, but at least he's funny, while Bryce is just boring old Bryce 9 out of 10 times.

You really shouldn't really ignore examples that i offered where Japanese actors also sound very similar between their roles, especially when voicing protagonist. Actors aren't free to make up their own characters , in this case Bryce and other VAs of MCs are voicing teenage protagonists, who fall into same range most of the time, so you can't compare it to Monica Rial who does high pitched girls, kids, boys, older women etc. It would be more like comparing to Monica Rial who only does cutsey characters.

Monica Rial simply has had more opportunity to voice wide range of characters with various quirks from various archetypes, Bryce basically gets often typecast as MC (like Yuki Kaji or Matsuoka),

BTW he voices the little announcer guy in this clip . He isn't "lazy".

The video is region blocked, so I have no idea what you're linking me to. Also I never saw any of the work from Yuuki Kaji, outside of Attack on Titan.
frozenkex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

3) So where is this "meh" casting?

I mean you talked about only one voice actor
Quote:
he's just generally not giving a chance to use it that much.

Which was exactly my point? Bryce isn't given much chance to use his range much either when he plays the MC? Thus i would compare him to Yuki Kaji in other typical teenage protagonist roles, your examples dont change anything here.
Quote:
It sounded like he was like he was playing Kirito again

Not to me. And yes it has to do with nuance, the differences are more subtle than say Yuki Kaji's Eren and fat little guy cartman Haru.

getumbuck wrote:
The video is region blocked, so I have no idea what you're linking me to. Also I never saw any of the work from the Japanese guy you mentioned, which is why I didn't comment on it.

well you aren't addressing the main argument either. Here's another link
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Guess we're going to have agree to disagree then. Is it alright if we just end it here?
getumbuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
[quote="frozenkex"]
Lynx Amali wrote:

well you aren't addressing the main argument either. Here's another link

Still region blocked. Let's just agree to disagree. Not everyone has to like the same actors you do.
frozenkex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:

Still region blocked. Let's just agree to disagree. Not everyone has to like the same actors you do.

still my argument wasn't really my video. The part you didn't address is the following.

"Japanese actors also sound very similar between their roles, especially when voicing protagonist. Actors aren't free to make up their own characters , in this case Bryce and other VAs of MCs are voicing teenage protagonists, who fall into same range most of the time, so you can't compare it to Monica Rial who does high pitched girls, kids, boys, older women etc. It would be more like comparing to Monica Rial who only does cutsey characters.

Monica Rial simply has had more opportunity to voice wide range of characters with various quirks from various archetypes, Bryce basically gets often typecast as MC (like Yuki Kaji or Matsuoka), [or other people who get typecast]"

Sorry but a cop out "agree to disagree" won't do, when you display some ignorance on how directing and casting works and calling the actor "lazy".

You can dislike him , but you are just kind of wrong there and your reasoning is flawed.

Lynx Amali wrote:
Guess we're going to have agree to disagree then. Is it alright if we just end it here?

i'm not forcing you to have a discussion with me, I addressed what you said. I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
The only voice from UBW that bothered me was Kaiji Tang as Archer. Not that he was terrible but Liam O'Brien was just on another level.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Good to see it going around in a dub format.. if you prefer dubs.
I already saw this when its first viewing went around.. subs for me thnx.
For those new to the franchise.. do not start with this one! It's going to make very little sense as the movie is assuming your already familiar with the FSN story.. remember the 3 routes are the same up to a divergence point. So before you see it.. familiarize yourself with the Fate and UBW routes. Either anime, VN or just get a good synopsis. As for those recommending zero first.. this is unnecessary what is required is an understanding of the events of FSN. Anything gleamed from Zero is a bonus.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
The only voice from UBW that bothered me was Kaiji Tang as Archer. Not that he was terrible but Liam O'Brien was just on another level.

To me Kaiji Tang's take on Archer sounded like an older Bryce Papenbrock so that might be why he was chosen.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Quote:
the English voice cast, who are reprising their roles from Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works.

I'm assuming that means they're keeping Bryce Papenbrook as Shiro? Nothing against the guy but it was an absolute miscast. Everybody else was fine but oof. Was not a fan of Bryce's Shiro at all. Here's hoping for better voice direction for him this time.

Agree 100%. I watch all my shows in dubs and usually poke fun at "sub-only elitists" - but miscast is an understatement for this case, it was quite bad.
frozenkex

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
Quote:
the English voice cast, who are reprising their roles from Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works.

I'm assuming that means they're keeping Bryce Papenbrook as Shiro? Nothing against the guy but it was an absolute miscast. Everybody else was fine but oof. Was not a fan of Bryce's Shiro at all. Here's hoping for better voice direction for him this time.

Agree 100%. I watch all my shows in dubs and usually poke fun at "sub-only elitists" - but miscast is an understatement for this case, it was quite bad.

Only explanation i have for why you feel this way is that you got used to previous portrayals of Shirou , either from Japanese or previous English va.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2