• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Anime Characters Go To Therapy?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
You just offended Naruto Uzumaki. That said, two anime character that could be a respective poster boy and poster girl for therapy are Shinji Ikari and Yuno Gasai.

Excellent choices--but I think ANN should have a poll for the top three boys and girls! Smile For the latter, I'd give real consideration to one Tomoko Kuroki...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
It´s´ really hard to come up with an anime or manga with such a (sub-)plot. Even theoretical dead ringers as Eva or GitS fail the test and using MU´s category search borderline leads nowhere. Monster mentions the topic but it´s set in Germany. There you go. An uncharted market for anime/manga storytelling!

A few Japanese games, some MGS entries come to mind, have philological counseling touched upon but these aren´t set in Japan or star Asian characters. Silent Hill Shattered Memories also sticks out but it was outsourced to a UK studio and is set in the US. Fatal Frame 3 also counts. Huh, only Japanese war and horror games come to mind...

Edit: Tezuka´s Apollo no Uta features psychoanalysis and he touched on the topic elsewhere too.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Citation needed? Some places allow assisted suicide for terminally ill patients who are in great pain, but I've never heard of any country offering it to anyone simply for depression.

Holland set a precedent for killing a 29 year old woman, Aurelia Brouwers, for depression.
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2018/02/01/dutch-doctors-euthanise-29-year-old-woman-with-depression/

Canada is also toying with furthering euthanasia options for those with depression and other mental health conditions. The article below also mentions the case of Amy de Schutter from Belgium who sought the right to end her life due to depression and received it. Though she has since delayed taking that option, but it is now open to her.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/canadas-assisted-dying-laws-must-be-open-to-those-with-mental-illness/article34753182/

The Netherlands also has a growing problem with people seeking euthanasia who are healthy in body but have mental health problems.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/11/netherlands-sees-sharp-increase-in-people-choosing-euthanasia-du/
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Watts wrote:
There was one anime I watched a few years ago that featured the main character seeing a therapist several times in the series about his childhood trauma. It was called Ghost Hound.

I forgot about Ghost Hound. That show was very good for its first half seriously delving into science. Then sadly went completely off the rails in its second half destroying itself. I also had a bad reaction to something in one episode.

That reminds me of one of the series I hate a lot Gravitation. I don’t remember how much the anime bothered but, the comic does at points show therapy and medication like mood stabilizers. The anime also ends before the comic’s ending which is probably a good thing. spoiler[It’s not good when you start supporting a character’s wish to die. But that’s pretty much how I wished Maki Murakami would just end things.] Of course I don’t feel Murakami seriously thought or researched a lot on certain subjects with her series anyway. (Comments on a crime being a death penalty offense in the US made me laugh.) But, there were moments where she managed to reflect truth that could catch you off guard being how indulgent and ridiculous the series is. I also lost respect for her over some of the doujinshi she produced from the series.
NervClaX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, members of this forum have never watched The Sopranos which began with a Mafia Boss' nervous breakdown and subsequent psychotherapy. A good anime would use Japan's mental health stigma in its favor as the main character tries to hide his/her treatment from friends and family.

I, for one, think Japan is in denial about how severe its mental health crisis really is. Estimates have placed the hikikomori population as high as 1 MILLION. That means there is a generation of people hiding from the world. Unfortunately, Japan's societal rules leave them impotent to tackle the problem.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
@ jdnation: Thank you for the links. The reality doesn't seem to be quite as cavalier as you made it sound ("So to treat your depression, we can do therapy, drugs, a combination, euthanasia, electroconvulsive therapy or none of the above. Which would you like to try?"), and I'm not opposed to the cases in the article (except the dementia one - if you need to hold someone down to kill them, that's not euthanasia). Physically healthy isn't the same as not in unbearable pain, and if years of alternatives haven't helped, I'm not going to be the one to tell them they have to keep living like that.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:15 am Reply with quote
Japan doesn't want to talk about mental illness, even when mentally ill people are murdered.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Yusaku was actually shown to have gotten therapy for his PTSD in Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS, and one of his large character ticks is a coping mechanism taught to him by his therapist. Found it pretty surprising that it'd happen in anime at all, let alone in something like YGO when I saw it, to be honest.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:29 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
There's also the fact that "therapy" and "going to therapy" is not a Western but a purely American habit. I am French and there are very few therapists here, typically only used for severe traumas and mostly court-ordered. Europeans, just like Asians, Africans, South Americans or Oceanians don't share the Americans interest in mental health - and note that it's note a judgement, just a fact, I understand how helpful it can be and how a lot of people are missing on that even in my family. It's a perfectly good way of getting to know oneself better and thus improve, or cure existing traumas, so I'm personally all for it but I'm in the very low minority to think like that in Europe. Don't quote me on that, but I remember reading somewhere that there were more shrinks in the US that in all the other countries of the world put together (as are lawyers by the way, Smile), which frankly didn't surprise me.

You are way off. If you move a bit and look at your neighbors, you will find that Monaco actually has the most psychiatrists per capita in the world, with 41 psychiatrists per 100,000 people. The United States has way less, with 12.4 psychiatrists per 100,000 people (source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2016/09/06/which-countries-have-the-most-psychiatrists-per-capita-infographic/#5ed683570069). Focusing on psychologists, who provide therapy but usually don't prescribe drugs, a previous study found that Argentina had the most per capita, with half the amount in Buenos Aires. Norway is known for having some of the best treatment options and outcomes. (Source: https://www.bustle.com/p/what-does-mental-health-care-look-like-abroad-this-is-how-9-countries-treat-mental-illness-2885010)

It's just simply not true that Americans are somehow more concerned with mental healthcare than other parts of the world. I'm impressed with Germany, for example, who not only take in refugees, but are starting to train refugees to become peer counselors to new refugees from their home country. It's such a good idea to teach people skills to help one another who are going through similar trials and are likely to face symptoms from PTSD (source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/31/germany-turns-refugees-into-mental-health-counsellors-for-their-peers)
As for Japan, I think a little push towards decreasing stigma and increasing treatment options would help people who suffer from depression, anxiety, and Hikkikomori syndrome. There's no shortage of paid unprofessional "help" in Japan for loneliness, such as host and hostess clubs, services that allow you to rent a friend or family member to spend time with you, just lie in bed with someone, or (allegedly) even get a blow job. Why should it be more stigmatizing to hire a fake family member than to get a therapist? In this interview, a man who runs a business called Family Romance claims to have "acted" as a girl's father for 8 years, and that he will never tell her that he is not her real father until her mother (a single mother who's actual ex-husband was abusive) tells her the truth first. He also claims that anorexic people have hired his company to pretend to be family members who will eat in front of them, presumably as therapy. Most of his clients sound like they are using paid actors as an alternative to therapy, and that sounds dangerous in the long term (especially when deceiving a kid is involved). (Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2017/11/paying-for-fake-friends-and-family/545060/)

Ashley Hakker wrote:
wastrel wrote:
That was an interesting question, and an interesting reply.

But there's also that seeing an anime character going to therapy wouldn't necessarily make for a very good story. How many "lie on the couch and tell me about your mother" episodes could there be? I'd rather watch Endless Eight again.

I think it could be really clever. Imagine your typical high school anime insanity but one protagonist breaks down the events in therapy?

"Well, I think she might like me but then she calls me a 'Stupid Idiot' and punches me."
"What do you do when she punches you?"
"Well, I let her, because she's a least paying attention to me."
"Is that the kind of attention you really want?"
"No, but... ...Oh my god... If I just stopped associating with her I wouldn't suffer that abuse but I keep coming to her because I have no idea what is good and bad attention. I just want people to talk to me, ANYBODY, even if they're accusing me of being a 'pervert' over obvious misunderstandings!"

You could do a REALLY amazing deconstruction of high school anime tropes. I'd SO watch it.

That sounds like the perfect anime/manga deconstruction! I'd pay to see that!
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Man it would be pretty something if someone created psychologist therapist drama manga or anime, it would be a big hit if done & executed correctly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4