• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo Switch Console Has 8 Million-Seller Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Read great things about Zelda. I don't know, maybe I'm just not into Lord of the Rings-style fantasy. I'm still thinking about getting it though.

Zelda generally isn't even remotely similar to a Lord of the Rings-style fantasy. Like... any of the Zelda games. Breath of the Wild especially. And I'm the same way you are, that type of genre doesn't interest me.

Literally the only similarity between Zelda and Lord of the Rings is the use of swords and bows. And even that is pushing it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm less surprised by Mario Odyssey and more surprised that Mario Kart 8 did so well when it's basically a port of the Wii U game and it didn't seem like it had that many new features added to it.

The Switch has a much larger base of players than the Wii U. For many of them, this is their first chance to own a copy of Mario Kart 8. It's also a great opportunity for people with a Wii U who passed it up the first time around.

All in all, however, the Switch has a lot of kids playing it, as well as less dedicated teenagers and adults. Mario Kart has always appealed very well to the non-core gaming demographics, which is how every Mario Kart game has sold so well.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm less surprised by Mario Odyssey and more surprised that Mario Kart 8 did so well when it's basically a port of the Wii U game and it didn't seem like it had that many new features added to it.

The Switch has a much larger base of players than the Wii U. For many of them, this is their first chance to own a copy of Mario Kart 8. It's also a great opportunity for people with a Wii U who passed it up the first time around.

All in all, however, the Switch has a lot of kids playing it, as well as less dedicated teenagers and adults. Mario Kart has always appealed very well to the non-core gaming demographics, which is how every Mario Kart game has sold so well.

Hey, since Mario is to Nintendo what Mickey Mouse is to Disney, any game plumber boy stars in can appeal to casual gamers who just don't have that much time on their hands, and I'm one of them. I just beat Odyssey this morning as a matter of fact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2