• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why Aggretsuko is the Voice of a Generation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Man, oh man, totally, absolutely adore this show!! It struck a responsive chord about the joy, blunders, pitfalls one encounters working in an uber-structured hierarchal community for a living. I did succumb to the allure of white collar work for a few years 3 decades ago after spending 1/2 my life then working in the blue-collar realm either self-employed or working for the Man before coming to my senses, reverting back to outdoor field work. Had to give it a try.

This show is gold. Not only does it relate (as you guys have texted) to real world work ethic and pathos past and likely present but the Sanrio gang excelled making the narrative both wickedly poignant and enjoyable. I LMAO through every episode and I can totally relate and empathize 100% with Retsuko. You go, girl!! The ancillary characters might seem stereotypical to the uninitiated but Holy Shit, this IS the manufacturer office pool life I recall.

I wish I could belt out the HM tunes like she does.....too cool...so much rage. And the protein, PROTEIN steely stare........unreal, lol.

I wish this little gem would get released as a Blu-Ray for US market. It is a most excellent short series not to be missed.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I for one am quite peased that this series took a sightly different route than the one-minute shorts (which are also fantastic). Rareko's a master of that very specific one-minute-short comic timing, but proves here that he can handle long(er) narratives, too.

I've been a fan ever since the deliciously wild Gakkatsu, which I highly recommend. It's not heavy stuff, but it's full of his trademark observational humor.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I've never seen a middle class or above person complain about capitalism.

Then you haven't spoken to a lot of middle class people. Try to get out more.

Also, poor people's opinions matter just as much as anyone else's, and a lot of them have plenty to say about capitalism. Interesting how you just dismiss them out of hand.

Stuart Smith wrote:
individuals with low-demand degrees stuck in low paying jobs.

The fact that you can spend four years or more working hard for a degree and yet end up unable to find work in your field is a pretty major failure of capitalism.

*death metal music starts fading in*

Instead of pursuing educations in things that they're passionate about or even good at, many people end up pressured to major in "high-demand" degrees (note the use of the term "demand," not "value" or "usefulness to society") because for many the alternative is debt and possible homelessness. And while many people genuinely want to major in those fields (which is good! There's nothing wrong with those fields!) many don't, and end up with careers they can't stand instead of being able to pursue their dreams.

*death metal swells*

And that (among other things) is how you get a whole generation of Retsukos. All because the almighty "market" decided some kinds of knowledge shouldn't be rewarded, not because they're less important but because they're harder to exploit.

*death metal hits chorus*

And on top of that, since so many people end up pressured to get "high-demand" degrees, the value of those degrees drops over time, and after a while they're not "high-demand" anymore! For some people, a degree that was "high-demand" when they chose their majors isn't in demand anymore by the time they earn them! What's the solution to this problem? Capitalism doesn't have one! Laughing

Gee what a great system! Clearly the only people who could ever take issue with that are folks with Patreons!

*death metal music stops*

*everything goes back to normal*

Anyway, from what I've been seeing online, Retsuko has a really good chance of being the next major breakout hit series with non-otaku. It's probably the most accessible anime comedy ever made for westerners, and if Netflix is smart they've already greenlit another couple of seasons of this thing. It hits a very specific nerve that it turns out is shared by many, many people.

I love how practically every character (male and female, though its focus is on the latter) puts up some sort of facade to survive in the professional world, and the show refuses to judge them for it (except for Ton, but he's garbage.) Even Resasuke, who appears to have no personality at all, has his apartment full of lovingly-cared-for plants. There's a shocking amount of empathy in this cartoon about an angry furry.

Anyway, dear Sanrio, please do an episode where Fenneko and Tsunoda are trapped in an elevator together or something. The hostile energy between those two is sublime and I'm not sure who to root for.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Just because you haven't been listening to them doesn't mean such people haven't been saying it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Must suck that none of the college professors in your country are "middle class or above".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2