• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shirobako Anime Gets All-New Film Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote
My day is off to a pretty good start Very Happy
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
One of my AOTYs getting a movie treatment? Looking forwards to this.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:10 am Reply with quote
Given that the central characters were quite unremarkable compared to certain members of the excessive secondary ensemble—namely Seiichi the director—my expectations here are rather muted. You see, aside from their mere predicaments there was little to Aoi and her friends that resonated with me, but the more narrow focus that a feature film requires will only increase their share of the limelight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
It is great that this franchise is getting more content. While Shirobako is not among my all time favorite anime shows, it is a very special and successful property that deserved a sequel. And like others here, I hope this movie deals with the characters making an anime film.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Another 12-episode series will just be "more of the same" without putting anything new on the table, and will be inferior to the first season since the first TV anime has novelty going on for it.

Basically every story in anything ever is more of the same. It's all about execution.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I hope they go back and dub it at some point
This is one of the shows that I feel 100% should never be dubbed. An important part of one of the side stories was the girl's voice acting ability. The entire process is done differently in Japan than it is in the West, for one thing. Second, the actual skill needed for the nuances she (and the no-name seiyuu) is too high for the vast majority of dub actors. The odds of it being even remotely comparable are just too low. A show about how Japanese do things, with a lot of Japanese culture involved in it, is best kept in Japanese. The final scene in that art definitely would lose it's impact in another language.

Anyway, super excited for this. Someone on Twitter said they have absolutely zero work actually done for this though, other than the basic premise...so I don't expect to see this until 2020 or later. Original show is still one of my very few 10/10 shows of the current decade
Malsang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
I consider myself to be pretty picky when it comes to watching anime, and of all the shows I've watched I've only ever rated three of them a 10/10. Shirobako was one of them. I could not be more hyped for this.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that it's a movie about making a movie. Perhaps the ladies will get to make "The Seven Lucky Battle Gods" after all.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Another 12-episode series will just be "more of the same" without putting anything new on the table, and will be inferior to the first season since the first TV anime has novelty going on for it.

If your angle on this is "the first season already gave us anime about making anime so we don't need more of it", then we never needed Shirobako at all to begin with, given the existence of earlier works such as Animation Runner Kuromi. If you think Shirobako did contribute something other than just the novelty of being an anime about making anime, no reason a second season - properly executed - couldn't also bring something new.
fathomlessblue wrote:
Having the first 12 episodes on more than a single disk would be nice too. I always thought there was a dark humour in Sentai treating the show that specifically dealt with how hard, yet valuable & gratifying the work animators perform actually is, on the same level as one of their mid-tier light novel & ecchi releases being shat out around the same time.

On the other hand, there's something thematically appropriate about a show the staff poured their hearts and souls into being treated like just another show that was done by the numbers.
TheAncientOne wrote:
Sadly, it seems in recent years that a movie is often the kiss of death for the chances of a second season.

In the past 6 years, how many late night series can you think of that followed up an original movie (not a compilation film) with another TV series? Now, think of how many didn't, even if the movie did well.

Off the top of my head, only Steins;Gate and Sword Art Online come to mind for the former, while a number come to mind for the latter.

I think in many cases it's because there's enough material to do something more, but not enough material for a full cour. Depending on just how much, it might therefore get an OVA, a movie, or a short OVA series. Or where there is enough material for another cour, the money people aren't convinced it's a good investment - rightly or wrongly - but a movie would be a safer bet. It's not that a movie is a kiss of death as such, it's that getting more of anything made is unlikely these days, and if a title is lucky it can manage a movie.
Zin5ki wrote:
Given that the central characters were quite unremarkable compared to certain members of the excessive secondary ensemble—namely Seiichi the director—my expectations here are rather muted. You see, aside from their mere predicaments there was little to Aoi and her friends that resonated with me, but the more narrow focus that a feature film requires will only increase their share of the limelight.

Personally, I found the "main five" resonated a lot with me, but to each their own, I suppose.
yuna49 wrote:
My guess is that it's a movie about making a movie. Perhaps the ladies will get to make "The Seven Lucky Battle Gods" after all.

That is my hope/expectation. It's the perfect way to round out the main five's arc; making an anime as a student project, getting into the industry, all working on the same anime, then all working on properly remaking their student project as a proper anime.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:27 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
BlackPoint. wrote:
...and also i hope the movie does well so they decide to make another 2cour TV series of it

Sadly, it seems in recent years that a movie is often the kiss of death for the chances of a second season.

In the past 6 years, how many late night series can you think of that followed up an original movie (not a compilation film) with another TV series? Now, think of how many didn't, even if the movie did well.

Off the top of my head, only Steins;Gate and Sword Art Online come to mind for the former, while a number come to mind for the latter.

Bit of a tangent but I’d say Steins;Gate isn’t even really a fitting example here.

The movie’s basically completely separate from the new show, since that’s just tied to the first one. Rather, Steins;Gate 0 isn’t really a second series for Steins;Gate, it’s just an adaptation of an entirely different game.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I love it already, that's my type of girl

But whre ahve I seen that before hmm

Well, arms crossed pose is not something that is, you know, rare enough for it to possibly mean "stealing an act of artistic creativity".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
"Hanasaku Iroha" and "Shirobako" both sold decently, so that might explain in part why they got or will have film projects. "Sakura Quest" sold badly, so the chances for an SQ film are low. Could I please get some views as to 2 why the first 2 shows sold decently but SQ didn't?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Well, arms crossed pose is not something that is, you know, rare enough for it to possibly mean "stealing an act of artistic creativity".

Arms crossed isn't rare, but that specific pose - arms crossed, legs apart, determined look on face - is still pretty iconic of Gunbuster/Die Buster. And who said anything about "stealing an act of artistic creativity"? It's an homage.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:05 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
"Hanasaku Iroha" and "Shirobako" both sold decently, so that might explain in part why they got or will have film projects. "Sakura Quest" sold badly, so the chances for an SQ film are low. Could I please get some views as to 2 why the first 2 shows sold decently but SQ didn't?

Shirobako is about cute girls entering the anime industry. Sakura Quest is about reviving a rural town with "older" women.

Perhaps the Japanese audience for anime isn't as interested in the problems of old people living in rural towns as P.A. Works, itself located in a small city with a declining population.

I wouldn't underestimate the value of having a Goth-lolita character, or a director who loves ecchi, in Shirobako's cast either. Sakura Quest doesn't really have that type of fanservice.

Of the three, I found Hanasaku Iroha by far the weakest, but I could see how it would appeal to Japanese otaku.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2