• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: High School DxD Hero English Dub Cast Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see most of the cast return even if it was completely expected. Also looks like Leah Clark finally decided to drop the pseudonym. I'm also about 80-90% sure "Kelly Angel" is Brynn Aprill.

I still wonder what happened to Teri Rogers (Akeno's original voice actress).
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Nice to see most of the cast return even if it was completely expected. Also looks like Leah Clark finally decided to drop the pseudonym. I'm also about 80-90% sure "Kelly Angel" is Brynn Aprill.

Heard she's currently inactive in the VA industry but since its just a rumor I heard on here a long time ago I have nothing to back up that claim
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Nice to see most of the cast return even if it was completely expected. Also looks like Leah Clark finally decided to drop the pseudonym.

Ditto for Lauren Landa.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Nice to see most of the cast return even if it was completely expected. Also looks like Leah Clark finally decided to drop the pseudonym.

Ditto for Lauren Landa.

I completely forgot she was using one. I guess after Sister New Devil she threw her hands up and said "F**k it" no use in hiding it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
We now have a fourth director on this show. Jad just announced she's directing
https://twitter.com/jadbsaxton/status/991127533818138625
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Yeah...ummm......no!!!!!

I don't see any solid proof that Leah Clark and Chloe Daniels are the same person UNLESS someone can prove otherwise.

I'm not certain whether or not Kelly Angel and Bryn Aprill are the same person. MAL lists that they are under "Alternative names", but exactly where do they get their information from?

https://myanimelist.net/people/30379/Bryn_Apprill

But I totally expected Josh Grelle to return as the English voice of Issei.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Teri Rogers still lives in Dallas and graduated in 2015 with a Library Science degree. As far as her returning as Akeno, there is the chance she will for the home video release.

I did a tweet that said "Unless a VA admits they played a character under a different credited name, it's best to treat that credit as a separate person (privacy reasons), even if Person B sounds like Person A." The fact Bryn Appril thanked me for tweeting is a possible hint she is "Kelly Angel". There is also the fact that Bryn has been in harem shows before (of note, "Date A Live" and "Absolute Duo"). If she is "Kelly Angel", maybe DxD was more extreme for her that she opted to use an alias.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Yeah...ummm......no!!!!!

I don't see any solid proof that Leah Clark and Chloe Daniels are the same person UNLESS someone can prove otherwise.

I could be wrong, but Chloe Daniels sounds just like Leah Clark with a slightly higher voice.

Quote:

How could you not? Who else was going to play him?[/quote]
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
My biggest disappointment is Akeno voice. I didn't like the voice in BorN and it feel like a new character. Yes, Funimation did make a joke about it in the dialogue but it not the same.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Yeah...ummm......no!!!!!

I could be wrong, but Chloe Daniels sounds just like Leah Clark with a slightly higher voice.

Quote:

How could you not? Who else was going to play him?
[/quote]

Scott Freeman? Oh, wait, he's still in prison I imagine. xD
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Yeah...ummm......no!!!!!

Quote:

Scott Freeman? Oh, wait, he's still in prison I imagine. xD[/quote]

Apparently he's working at a brewery now
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:30 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Yeah...ummm......no!!!!!

Quote:

[/quote]

Chloe Daniels isn't a pseudonym.
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Chloe-Daniels/

Also Leah Clark confirmed that Chloe isn't local.
https://twitter.com/LeahClarkVA/status/991096707097210880
After a bit of digging, apparently she moved to New York.
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:28 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
We now have a fourth director on this show. Jad just announced she's directing
https://twitter.com/jadbsaxton/status/991127533818138625

The first season was directed by Colleen Clinkenbeard (don't know why she didn't use her pseudonym Carmen Smith), the second season by C.T. Anger (apparently it's a pseudonym used by Christopher Sabat), and the third season is directed by Cris George.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote
yes, thank you for telling me what i already know and clearly pointed out
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
I'm not at all surprised that Leah is stepping in. Like other people, I thought during the first season that it was the same person since they sound very similar and Chloe didn't have much else to her name. The simuldub schedule is a pretty big commitment, especially if someone isn't all that active in voice acting. We've seen it before, both with Akeno in this show, and in other series where actors move on, which is understandable since it would be tough to stick around just in case a new season comes along years later.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Ditto for Lauren Landa.

I completely forgot she was using one. I guess after Sister New Devil she threw her hands up and said "F**k it" no use in hiding it.

When I saw that credit, I had a hunch she would stop using the alias for this series other than to simply keep the credits consistent.

Kadmos1 wrote:

I did a tweet that said "Unless a VA admits they played a character under a different credited name, it's best to treat that credit as a separate person (privacy reasons), even if Person B sounds like Person A." The fact Bryn Appril thanked me for tweeting is a possible hint she is "Kelly Angel". There is also the fact that Bryn has been in harem shows before (of note, "Date A Live" and "Absolute Duo"). If she is "Kelly Angel", maybe DxD was more extreme for her that she opted to use an alias.

That is probably the main reason, assuming that they are the same person. Another possibility is to maybe avoid some flak online for the replacement. Obviously, the recasting wouldn't happen unless the prior actor wasn't available, but people don't always think things through before saying nasty things online.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2