• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: We Never Learn Manga's Lead Heroines Ranked in Jump Polls

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cave

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm a fan of Furuhashi myself, but I like her personality. She is a fun character. I also like Ogata and would prefer her to end up with the MC, but seeing how she isn't so popular, I doubt it will go that way. I think part of the issue is her interactions seem more forced than the others.

Uruka... I just find her really annoying. I don't get the appeal, but to each their own.

Sensei... also not a fan of, but I get the appeal at least. I'm not surprised she would come in first, but Furuhashi coming in first on the English version poll is pretty awesome. My vote counted. Smile
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

She has less focus chapters and isn't as hilarious a straight man (or attempted straight man).

Yune Amagiri wrote:

Sensei ( Mafuyu Kurisu ), since around the last 20 chapters, has as much scenes if not more than the mains heroines and her scenes are more varied, also the author seems to really like her and makes a lot of fanservice scenes with her, more than the mains heroines ( to debate with Uruka )
Ogata's scenes pretty much never changed since the beginning, she used to be the most popular by far but recently her interest keep dropping because of her stagnating character development, mainwhile Furuhashi which had a rather slow start ( toward the beginning she was more an omnipresent supporting character than a heroine, most of her text were monologues which describes the relationship between Ogata/Uruka and the hero in an objective way then during her dialogues with others she start to kick around the bush, she was kind of the reader's avatar in this story) is now starting to stand out and claim her role as a heroine.

Seeing how things were recently, if Uruka doesn't get more arcs she will most likely drop in the next polls and senpai ( Asumi Kominami ) will overtake her. Even though i really like her, it would be funny for this manga to be remembered as a "Love Come where the mains heroines lost to the supporting characters" it would be a refreshing change from the recent stereotypes

First of all to Casual: you mean "straight woman"~, but secondly I see where you two are coming from. This seems to be an issue in which the main character is not getting enough page time then she should as well as the fact the writer seems to be taking more of a liking to this Fumino character. Now I have more reason to check this manga out. Along with being curious about Uruka (or more taken a liking to her at first sight, a combination of the two I would say), I would like to see how this writer is handling this story in terms of characters. Thanks you two for answering my question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Well then! I guess the readers of this manga were "Hot for Teacher." Is that going to be the new thing in Japanese otaku media? Is it already a thing?

Aquasakura wrote:
First of all to Casual: you mean "straight woman"~, but secondly I see where you two are coming from.

I'm not sure if that was a joke or not, but FilthyCasual's usage of "straight man" is as a narrative concept: Together with the funny man, they make a comic duo or comic pairing in which the funny man starts jokes and gags and the straight man reacts (or doesn't react) to them. This term is used regardless of the sex of the characters (and has nothing to do with sexual orientation) and, while quite common in western media (Laurel and Hardy, SpongeBob and Squidward, Newman and...anyone else, Rick and Morty), it's a lot more common in Japanese media due to the traditional manzai stand-up comedy following this setup too.

That being said, as a (narrative) straight man, Ogata doesn't really work too well as she is constantly flustered and astonished by things around her. Kominami works much better as a straight man as she has the dry wit to strike back at the funny men she gets paired up with.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy this series is getting some love. I was honestly worried about it
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Kirisu-sensei FTW!!! She's hilarious. Hope she status on top. Sad Ogata wasn't #2.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I'm not sure if that was a joke or not, but FilthyCasual's usage of "straight man" is as a narrative concept: Together with the funny man, they make a comic duo or comic pairing in which the funny man starts jokes and gags and the straight man reacts (or doesn't react) to them. This term is used regardless of the sex of the characters (and has nothing to do with sexual orientation) and, while quite common in western media (Laurel and Hardy, SpongeBob and Squidward, Newman and...anyone else, Rick and Morty), it's a lot more common in Japanese media due to the traditional manzai stand-up comedy following this setup too.

That being said, as a (narrative) straight man, Ogata doesn't really work too well as she is constantly flustered and astonished by things around her. Kominami works much better as a straight man as she has the dry wit to strike back at the funny men she gets paired up with.

It was a joke Anime smile, but thanks for the explanation. I learn more about this concept. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2