• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will The US Ever Get Stand-Alone Otaku Music Events?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eely225

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Hasn't Perfume done shows in NY and LA? Or is that in a different category?
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
My local anime convention in Boise for the last few years have had Japanese musical artists come that I had never of heard of before. I obviously didn't know their music but I went to their concert anyway and had a blast. I'm sure many others were the same. Conventions are a great place to have these concerts because hundreds if not thousands of people go that would not otherwise. It's very beneficial for all parties so it's a win-win.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For many younger con-goers, the concerts at conventions are the first concerts they've ever attended.

This brings to mind a tangential point I have recently been considering. Is there much of an intersection between fans of popular music concerts (unrelated to anime) and anime convention regulars? I know of few people who hold significant experience of both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Boa, who did the OP for Serial Experiments Lain ever did the rounds at the cons? They are a British group and probably got their 'Anime Break' because the mother of the two sibling band members is Japanese. They have 'real music' chops and cred, though, because those siblings dad (Steve and Jasmine Rodgers) gives them a big insider help, he's Paul Rodgers (Bad Company, Queen, etc).

Anyone remember them making the con scene?

Back to full topic, I have gone to many rock concerts in my life, but never an anime event concert. I would be willing to go to one, though!
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
For many younger con-goers, the concerts at conventions are the first concerts they've ever attended.

This brings to mind a tangential point I have recently been considering. Is there much of an intersection between fans of popular music concerts (unrelated to anime) and anime convention regulars? I know of few people who hold significant experience of both.

In the totality of people that go to concerts and anime conventions I doubt the percentage that go to both is a huge number. Of course there would be overlap but not anymore than any other two fandoms. I would figure its in the single digits. I know tons of people who like anime and wrestling, but that doesn't mean there is a big enough correlation between the two. I know lots of people who go to tons of concerts but have never been to an convention of any kind either.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Most of the girl idol series have seiyuu who aren't in other idol series, but most of the boy idol series have a lot of the same seiyuu. Wouldn't it be great if a convention could get 6 or so of the seiyuu who are in ~3+ idol shows, and somehow wrangle the rights together for them to do a concert with songs from all of them?

.... Actually, getting more than 3 of the busiest seiyuu in the industry to fly out of the country for a weekend might be more of a challenge than the copyrights.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
I wonder if Boa, who did the OP for Serial Experiments Lain ever did the rounds at the cons?

Yes, they were at Otakon 2000.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sota-Son

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
No keep it all in Japan, I'm sick and tired of Japanese culture like idols and such being Americanized by normies and overly offended soccer moms.
Marc Nix

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Idols events in America, no thanks, but Japanese concerts are a thing (for major cities at least.) You'll see some Japanese band events around clubs of big towns, and they seem like a good time as well as a fun way to meet some not-afraid-to-leave-the-house otaku.

There's a promotional company called Japan Nite (no link because it seems to be a FB/Twitter presence only?) that has toured Japanese acts around the States -- SF, LA, Vegas, San Diego, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Austin, NYC.

I remember a similar collective company was taking bands around a few years before Japan Nite too (I remember something was tied to that short-lived company that sold Japanese music tracks) -- maybe there are others like this?

Also, a band I love -- BoPeep -- played New York recently for something called AvanTokyo, which describes itself as such: "SAIKO and the GLOBUS FAMILY offer Japan’s music + performing artists residencies and stage opportunities in New York that facilitate cultural interactions between Japan and the United States." So far, though, I don't see any other AvanTokyo events aside from that one concert series in April.

Support your international rockstars!
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, conventions are my preferred ways to see a Japanese guest, especially idols and other acts - the reason why you'll even have Japanese fans fly to America or another country to see them is that the experiences can get pretty intimate in all sorts of ways that a regular concert or "fan experience" in Japan wouldn't have (Especially at cons smaller than AX) with a lot less effort needed. The ability to be a couple rows away during a concert, Q&As with fans (panels in Japan tend to be canned or preapproved questions), signatures, and the possibly even get a picture are all pretty valuable opportunities.

...All without buying multiple of the same music single and dealing with the lottery system!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Marc Nix wrote:
Support your international rockstars!

Although international rockstars don't quite do as sellout business in the US as in Japan, where they sing in their own language.
I haven't been to some of the higher-promoted idol concerts in the US, so I don't know firsthand whether the theater projects English subtitles onstage or in the seats the way big-city opera companies do, but bringing up the O-word only reminds us of the problem of listening to untranslated foreign lyrics for an hour and a half.
(And if you're "not there for the songs, but for the experience", well, that pretty much sums up why I was never into rock-concert going back in high school. Confused )

Hatsune Miku, in her stateside tours, does well with the otaku crowd, simply because she's been a well-established Net/game presence, and most of her fans already know her hit lyrics from seeing them English-subtitled in the games and on YouTube before they walked in. Not so much with Love Live.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:

Most of my friends who I went to anime cons with as teens also regularly went to concerts with me. They weren't huge bands but a lot of bigger indie acts like Rilo Kiley.

Also, the pillows did standalone concert tours in the US! The one I went to was pretty packed and a ton of fun.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:

Well, that depends on what you mean by a fan. I've definitely known plenty of people who are fans of popular music who happen to like anime enough to go to conventions, and I've known anime fans who go to conventions who happen to like particular pop music bands and artists enough to go to their concerts, but I've never met any hardcore fans of both.

There is a certain separation between them though--someone who is really into another country's culture, other than the one where they live, has to have some streak of nonconformity in them, and pretty often, that entails a general aversion to popular, mainstream things. I notice this reflected in how many of my friends and other acquaintances who go to anime conventions tend to prefer underground, just-below-the-mainstream, indie, or foreign music.
Chinatsu Yoshikawa

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:10 am Reply with quote
In San Francisco I have seen Perfume, Silent Siren and Miku....and am about to see Miku again in July. And that's only the JPOP....for KPOP I have also seen Hyuna and APINK Smile
Francesco Vitiello

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:49 am Reply with quote
Once I went to a convention near the city where I live to see Mika Kobayashi singing live(i'm italian and the event happened in Naples).Even tough she's hugely popular thanks to Attack on titan and other anime,the concert was short(less than 30 minutes) and she didn't perform alone.A team of swordsmen called Kengishu Kamui was on stage too,moving to the rhythm of the music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2