• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is the New Gun Gale Online Better Than Sword Art Online?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Nick D wrote:
Maybe my favorite tidbit is when they go into the logistics of how firing guns in VR isn't the same as doing it in real life. Rather than real physical objects, all the guns are just lines of code designed as hit scan weapons.

We see bullets flying around so they can't be hitscan weapons. With hitscans there are no "bullets". You aim at something, the point of impact is determined and the shot lands there instantaneously. So with hitscans you don't have to account for bullet travel time, bullet drop or anything else. I'm not sure how the assist thing works in the show. Maybe it calculates all of the ballistic stuff for you so you don't to "lead" targets that are moving far away or shoot above them. But since we do see bullets flying around there has to some kind of ballistic stuff programmed into the game.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying it so far.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Nick D wrote:
Maybe my favorite tidbit is when they go into the logistics of how firing guns in VR isn't the same as doing it in real life. Rather than real physical objects, all the guns are just lines of code designed as hit scan weapons.

We see bullets flying around so they can't be hitscan weapons. With hitscans there are no "bullets". You aim at something, the point of impact is determined and the shot lands there instantaneously. So with hitscans you don't have to account for bullet travel time, bullet drop or anything else. I'm not sure how the assist thing works in the show. Maybe it calculates all of the ballistic stuff for you so you don't to "lead" targets that are moving far away or shoot above them. But since we do see bullets flying around there has to some kind of ballistic stuff programmed into the game.

To be fair to the (incredibly shoddily designed) game, the weapon could be hitscan and the bullet just be visual effect with no gameplay purpose.

Also from everything I've read about the author, I'm guessing they didn't even look up how gun typically work in video game. So the difference between hitscan and ballistic gun is something they probably never even though of.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Haven't been able to watch it yet, but from what I hear there isn't an evil dude holding thousands of people's lives hostage for no discernible good reason, so I'm going to say it's an improvement.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
To be fair to the (incredibly shoddily designed) game, the weapon could be hitscan and the bullet just be visual effect with no gameplay purpose.

We see LLENN literally dodge a bullet in episode 5. The large women shoots her gun and LLENN dodges the bullet. We also see Kirito use his lightsaber to block a bullet in slow mo (3:25).

But it could be that the game uses hitscans and all of the bullets flying around in slowmo are just a cool visual thing (eventhough that kinda doesn't make sense). Anyway, I think you might be right that the author possibly isn't familiar with how guns work in video games and so you're not supposed to look at the show too much from a gamer's point of view.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Haven't been able to watch it yet, but from what I hear there isn't an evil dude holding thousands of people's lives hostage for no discernible good reason, so I'm going to say it's an improvement.

Does it magically make the series better for you if it was actually a good reason? Seems like a silly thing to proclaim when you haven't even tried the new series at all.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying GGO, but I do have one major annoyance, and it's a continuity error AFAICT.

LLENN is spoiler[given and uses a knife]. But in SAO: GGO we are explicitly told that spoiler[creating metal swords is a highly-advanced skill], and presumably that applies to spoiler[knives] as well.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Lol, this SAOA: GGO series is overrated AF! Surprised to see it getting so much praise.
Main SAO is beyond mediocre after Aincrad, but if we're talking about its overall quality, no way it loses to a spinoff with a talking gun aka Hermes v2.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

spoiler[ No but theres a crazy chick who wants to kill people and herself because she... wasnt in sao? Its dumb as per usual for sao. ]
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Lol the Furries comment, that's my only gripe with the new Gundam, far too many Furries. TBH really surprised that an in universe Bandai would create a game with that much player appearance customisation for something that has only ever in all its history had normal human appearance characters (with the exception of HARO) though the HARO being the default guest appearance was appropriate.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Mertal wrote:

BUT with SAO, the critics have become rather rabid about it. It seem that with SAO, it has become THE social THING to hate it. If you make any comment that is NOT critical, then your just another L00s3r fanboi.

I know right? I absolutely cannot stand this like "enough's enough!" I was very happy to see T.H.E.M. reviews actually give SAO a postive rating....also shocked. Anime hyper

The same T.H.E.M. reviews that gave it a positive rating also gave all the Ikki Tousen anime 3 stars, but gave a certain favorite of mine a one star. A ONE STAR.

I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone when I see things like that.

Having said that, I like all the SAO shows enough to appreciate them for what they are and if people think its some sort of wish fulfilment series, then boy do I have something to share to these people. I would love to see what people would make of a little story I created and I guarantee people will scream 'WISH FULFILMENT, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO WRITE STORIES LIKE THAT, IT'S TABOO!"
Sorry for getting off topic, but yes I think its a good series, but its not like I'm in love with it or I consider it one of my favorites, but I have lots of sympathy for the fans who have to deal with this sort of hatedom time and time again. I can relate to them, essentially.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I've liked GGO about as much as the original so far. I'd say Sigsawa's writing has been better than Kawahara's (not that it doesn't have its own merits), though not as much as I had been expecting before last year's adaptation of Kino. The production is nice as well, but that was never really a problem with SAO. I don't hate Kirito but it is nice to see a spinoff with new characters.

It's been interesting to see where different critics of SAO end up on GGO, which ones approach it with an open mind and which seem more interested in keeping the franchise as a bete noire.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
I'm really enjoying GGO, but I do have one major annoyance, and it's a continuity error AFAICT.

LLENN is spoiler[given and uses a knife]. But in SAO: GGO we are explicitly told that spoiler[creating metal swords is a highly-advanced skill], and presumably that applies to spoiler[knives] as well.

I don't see why knife is something rare. swords is one thing, but knives in sci-fi militaristic setting isn't as outlandish as swords, pretty standard secondary weapon in fact. Also who said M has to be the one who created it? He certainly has money to buy one from other players.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
He certainly has money to buy one from other players.

Agree, remember what M said when he took out his protective gear made out of GGO's strongest material: " It's sold for an exorbitant price at the underground materials store "
So yes you are right, M is far from being poor and could most likely afford some knife.

Also for the hitscan talk it would be nice to add that GGO has physical and optical bullets, in Fatal Bullet most physical weapons are hitscan meanwhile most optical weapon aren't, both physical and optical sniper are hitscan in the FB game.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Lol, this SAOA: GGO series is overrated AF! Surprised to see it getting so much praise.
Main SAO is beyond mediocre after Aincrad, but if we're talking about its overall quality, no way it loses to a spinoff with a talking gun aka Hermes v2.

Hermes v2? I honestly don’t know how this conclusion came to be. Rolling Eyes

Using overrated as a criticism is just an arrogant claim that one knows more about quality than others and if people disagree with that person, then they’re simply wrong. It’s silly.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Thu May 10, 2018 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3