• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Magical Girl Site Likely Target in Latest BPO Published Complaint

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
So would you think its OK for some guys to drag out a child into the streets and start whipping her to death, and let them get away with it because there were "adults" and it was their form of "art" and they were practicing their "freedom of expression"?

Seriously?

If it happened in a fiction, like in a book, movie, animation, manga etc, then why the heck not? Not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

Sooo, what was your question again?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
So would you think its OK for some guys to drag out a child into the streets and start whipping her to death, and let them get away with it because there were "adults" and it was their form of "art" and they were practicing their "freedom of expression"?
He mentioned anime and manga in his post. To say that free speech is the same as watching children get beaten to death in the streets is a bit much even for 2018. I wouldn't be surprised to see this argument become common on Twitter but we haven't quite gotten to that point yet.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
Obviously people were talking about the freedom of depicting violence in media, which doesn't involve real people for animation and nobody gets hurt. Plus violence and all sorts of shit has been depicted in various forms of media since forever, and Mahou Shoujo Site isn't even as grisly as let's say, Genocyber with the scene where it showcased slow motion scenes of children getting obliterated by minigun and Barefoot Gen nuclear scenes that showed melted skins and people walking around being mutilated. These scenes aren't meant to encourage real life violence in any way, and it's there for people to see and witnessed, just how cruel life could get in a war. What are you even talking about? It sounds to me like you're embarking on a quest to practice censorship for things you don't like, just like the people that was mentioned in the article. Well, like others has said, why not move on to something else and stop watching things you don't like? Mahou Shoujo Site isn't the only anime airing right now, and Hinamatsuri seems more suitable if you're really into seeing a show where kids doesn't get killed and things are played for comedy. Or even Mitsuboshi Colors that aired last season.
Chiibi wrote:
Like others has said, if you dislike the show that much, then why not watch something else? Putting yourself on a mini crusade to destroy things you find discomforting isn't gonna do you or anybody any favors. If anything, people around here will look at you differently and you will garner some reputation from posters that remembered what you said in this thread. Mahou Shoujo Site isn't even that cruel, and it's weird how some people think it's even worse than even gorier show like Ousama Games or even the Berserk movies. If you wanna talk about hyper violent show with school setting, then Blood C is packed with nonstop slaughter.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
It is so amazing to see anime fans promoting censorship for anime they don't like. Let's all bring back book burning, and toss those DVD's and BD on the fire too.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
@Mertal and @Chiibi, I'll leave you this manga to read. https://medibang.com/book/aj1702151606201410000265310/

You want to know why I prefer Magical Girl Show over Sarcophagus?

It's not "oh dohs lolis" or "woo mainstream 4evar". It's called writing.

I don't care how well drawn it is. I don't care how well detailed it is. It could be from a lone author and artist on their own, or from a professional in the industry.

Magical Girl Site makes SENSE. Even for how "nonsensical" and "over the top" (I'm warning you society, I'm having enough of you wanting to "keep it real" because of your Mythbusters obsession) to the unimaginative and deadbrained, it's dark, fantastical, emotionally moving, and by goodness it makes SENSE.

You know what Sarcophagus's setting's all about?

spoiler[A weapons corporation hires serial killers and career criminals from prison, and abducts teenagers to experiment them in "real life combat simulations" with powered suits with enough holes in the logic and a paper trail so @#%%ing thick that the moral considerations and reasonings wouldn't be enough for me to not tear this story into pieces.

THAT churns my stomach to regurgitation. Where's the training dummies? Where's the physicists and experiments? Where's the ballistic gels and human flesh and bone mimicking materials? And if anything, people getting a jail free card if they kill kids gets ME SICK.

But you know what? As much as it makes me sick, it doesn't deserve to be taken down. ]

And considering that you @Mertal have come to represent everything what anime stood against when it hit the States back in the day, you've lost the card in my eyes. Don't come reviving the "for the family" bandwagon while you run around under a medium that caters to everyone.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Psh. Thought-policing what your kids watch is the parent's job, not the media's. It's already on late at night for a reason, so the industry has already done it's part. If your kids are still watching it you're just not doing enough to prevent it. Rolling Eyes
Mertal

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
@Mertal and @Chiibi, I'll leave you this manga to read. https://medibang.com/book/aj1702151606201410000265310/

And considering that you @Mertal have come to represent everything what anime stood against when it hit the States back in the day, you've lost the card in my eyes. Don't come reviving the "for the family" bandwagon while you run around under a medium that caters to everyone.

Yea yea, sorry to hear you don't like me. Get in line.

To see so much support for this craptastic anime was to be expected. To hear you all, I'm for the banning of all dark or hyper-violent anime. If that's what you all want to think of me, so be it.

I will make my final say, then I'm washing my hands of this thread.

I have never called for the complete removal of dark or hyper-violent anime or manga. All I have ever asked for is,

Leave the children out of it.

That's it. That is the only thing I want. But if this request STILL activates your kneejerk "CENSORSHIP!!!11!!!!1!!!!!1!!!!" protests, then so be it. No matter how you try to attack or shame me, this request will never change.

I'm done here. Reply to this or attack me more if you want, but I will never read it.

Happy Mothers day all.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
but I will never read it

Nice try.

Mertal wrote:
That is the only thing I want.

In its strictest yet most totalitarian sense, censorship is only one thing as well: "Leave the government out of it," i.e. don't undermine the authorities. Saying it's just one thing doesn't make it any better. Imagine if someone said "I only want to commit genocide against just one race!" Does that somehow make it okay? Of course not. It's the principle itself that's reprehensible, not how many times it's applied.

Mertal wrote:
Leave the children out of it.

Even in the real world, there are child slaves, child prostitutes, child soldiers, starving children living in poverty, children being abused and bullied, and so on. In fact, it's virtually certain some of the clothes you were wearing and food or beverages you consumed during the time you've spent arguing about the suffering of imaginary minors were produced by child labor. How can attention be called to these issues if depicting them is forbidden? How can people be reminded of the full horror of war through fiction if no children are shown to be harmed by it as they are in reality?

While it is true that Magical Girl Site doesn't portray things in a way that's intended to raise awareness, if the intended point was "leave the children out of lowbrow shock value entertainment," then it becomes an objection to the nature of the show. That's a matter of individual disposition, so exploiting children conceptually in order to advance an agenda that's actually based on personal preference is at least as distasteful as the content being criticized.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
oh look at me i'm right even if i dismiss everyone like a jerk

I think Parse Error said mostly everything I've wanted to say.

Also Mertal, just because you have a "mature looking" guy on your avatar doesn't make you mature. It makes you look like more of a fool with your tail between your legs. I think what's more defensive than people who defend moe titles are the people who think they're doing a service by "defending the public" from moe titles. And if people like you think such titles get people to, well, want to "do it" with kids, I think there's a problem there already.

I usually chill out for a week because I tend to bust out the swear o meter to 11 and get uncontrollable when it comes to forums. Now I can at least be reasonable even if startled. Now I can just say reasonably you're just someone now who has plugged their ears and yells LA LA LA down the street like a fool.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Let's drop it with the insults in here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3