• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Live-Action Monster Hunter Film Features Milla Jovovich, Starts Production in Septem

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lion Magnus

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
*sigh*
Here we go again...

And being "purist" (for the game):
Resident Evil = Capcom
RE Hollywood LA Movie + Milla Jovovich = sux
Monster Hunter = Capcom
MH Hollywood LA Movie + Milla Jovovich = ¿?

Coincidence?
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The director putting his wife in his new movie? Nepotism never ends in Hollywood.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Let's face it, we all know that number 1, this is going to be nothing like the games and instead will have milla jumping around shooting twin uzis and number 2 it's gonna have like 8 sequels because all it takes to sell to the masses is action and zombies/aliens/monsters and the budget will be intentionally low as heck so they'll always have money to make another. More bang for the buck.It's the RE movies all over again. These people did it once already.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This is gonna be horrible...
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
High-budget Isekai.
FtKaru

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
I've never played Monster Hunter so I don't know for sure. Does any of monster hunter game set in modern world? Every game play or images I've seen of MH always set in fantasy world.

I've always heard that there's things here and there "indicating" (and I use that rather generously) that Monster Hunter takes place in its own distant post-post(?)-apocalyptic world, but I've never seen them myself or made that same connection.

Even if it was the case, it's never been substantive enough to where you could make a movie about it and not have people questioning the premise.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
Let's face it, we all know that number 1, this is going to be nothing like the games and instead will have milla jumping around shooting twin uzis and number 2 it's gonna have like 8 sequels

And 3, if it IS Sony (what, Jovovich, Anderson & Capcom?...Nahhhh Wink ), it'll have 8 sequels because Sony still hasn't found a house brandname franchise yet, they tend to have one symbolic representative franchise title per genre, and Resident Evil was their "Action" franchise.
Note the use of past tense.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
Really? Real life?

Was God Eater not available for you? Seriously? At least do a series whose story content matches, Hollywood.

This is why the industry is declining. I don't care how much societal conditioning is making people stupid and consume garbage without a thought, this isn't going to save your industry Hollywood.
Helius

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
Really? Real life?

Was God Eater not available for you? Seriously? At least do a series whose story content matches, Hollywood.

Well for one thing God Eater belongs to Bandai Namco. Unlike Capcom, at least they seem to value the integrity of their franchises.

But them again, those films made buckets, and that's enough reason for Capcom to let Hollywood turn their IP into a complete joke, it seems.
Sheriru

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
And another bad Game adaption nobodies gonna watch. Just stop it. It doesnt work. It also doesnt matter what race the actors are.
The only thing we will read are bad critics and "i told you so"s.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:25 am Reply with quote
The Resident Evil movies are big in Japan, so on paper, I can see their rationale for making a Monster Hunter movie with Jovovich in it, since it's a hot franchise. As long as it's bombastic with Jovovich bopping monsters, it could be alright LOL. Interested to see how they'll approach things.
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:46 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Don't know if you know this but opening your wallet is the same as keeping your wallet closed. Basically audiences choosing to pay money to see a film from a specifc director tells the studios that they want more films from that same director hence why Directors like Bay and Emmerich have been around for so long.

And really those guys are no worse than Wes Anderson or Uwe Boll.

What do you mean "opening your wallet is the same as keeping your wallet closed?" Can you make that more clearer to me please.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
I actually like B-grade female action movies. I'm not excited, but I'd watch it on Netflix if it was there. If it's as good as a Resident Evil or Underworld movie (which are proud to be B-movies and aren't "good cinema" by any stretch of the imagination), it will probably end up as like the highest quality live-action adaption written about on ANN that year. Perhaps ever.

Monster Hunter has no real story line, its just you run around and kill monsters in a group. That's pretty much all that those Resident Evil and Underworld movies are about. It's probably in decent enough hands.

LaytonPuzzle27 wrote:
What do you mean "opening your wallet is the same as keeping your wallet closed?" Can you make that more clearer to me please.

I assumed it was a typo or standard kinda nonsensical view on economics you see on fan sites.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
And really those guys are no worse than Wes Anderson or Uwe Boll.

That's a hot take. You do know that Wes Anderson and Paul WSAnderson are two completely different directors who make radically different movies with radically different levels of critical acclaim, right?
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Helius wrote:
Well for one thing God Eater belongs to Bandai Namco. Unlike Capcom, at least they seem to value the integrity of their franchises.

But them again, those films made buckets, and that's enough reason for Capcom to let Hollywood turn their IP into a complete joke, it seems.

You know, that's the other thing. The double edged sword in the room is that Capcom apparently cannot let go of the mentality that they're making movies as video games.

I understand, it's in their history. They've done so many great adaptations of Disney shows into video games, they draw a lot of their inspirations from action movies, heck, they've even done a great beat em up of Alien VS Predator, even with the Schwarzenegger in it too. Star Gladiator was the resalvaged result of trying to make a Star Wars fighting game with Lucasarts. But while as great as it is that they got Jean Reno of Ronin and The Professional into Onimusha 3, I think that's when they got in over their heads.

Resident Evil 5 I think was the point when it drew the line. From then on, they didn't want to do anything anime based and they stuck to 3D all the time, every time. Like I get that times change, but going as far as lending your IPs to make as movies whom anyone can do anything they want to isn't very good of an idea.

If they wanted to right now, they could release a Star Gladiator anime/reboot considering how mixed and ill received Star Wars Episodes 7-9 are. But then again, I guess The Mouse doesn't want them interfering with their plans.
xchampion

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Why do you think they are getting co-financing from China and Japan? It's because those countries are going to eat this shit up. The RE Movies did decent in North America, but this is an international play because the RE films did bonkers overseas. Paul WS Andeson might not be a great director, but he can pull off good action scenes so if you go into his movies with absolutely no expectations you might just have a little fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3