• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is It Such A Big Deal When Anime Characters Cut Their Hair?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericarreza

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:04 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
or a girl disguising herself has a boy.

I have to admit...this scene is amazing and awesome and badass every time I f*n see it. Anime hyper

The youtube link that you'd posted here, Chibi is actually a clip from Disney's Mulan (and it's not an anime), and thankfully we're gonna see a live action film version which is not involve on whitewashing: https://www.thewrap.com/mulan-fans-thank-disney-for-not-whitewashing-live-action-movie-with-casting-of-chinese-star/

The only thing left is the planned live action filming of Your Name, and there's also a hair cutting scene where spoiler[the female protagonist of that movie, Taki, cut her long hair so that she think it's cool to have a short hair]. And hopefully there'll be no "whitewashing" controversy on the live action adaptation of Kimi No Nawa when this will be release in theaters soon. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:04 am Reply with quote
stowrag wrote:
I thought the trope was also you get a haircut when a relationship ends/you're dumped. (Especially for girls)

I was actually gonna comment that I'm surprised this wasn't brought up in the article. It was touched upon in the ever-popular Your name. movie too.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:27 am Reply with quote
CyberLance

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:38 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Regarding all the hate people have for this trope: I like long hair as much as the next man (and have pretty lengthy locks myself), but short hair has its own charm and is a better fit for some characters.
Quote:
that top-knot was originally there to support a helmet

After all these years, I'm just now learning this.
Gina Szanboti wrote:
My understanding it that hair dyed blond is the style badge of a yankee/yanki, aka a juvenile delinquent or gang member type (but not yakuza, I think).

Less common in yakuza, but not unheard of. At least where anime and manga is concerned, anyway.

I think most people dont like the cutting hair thing because most people in the west dont understands what its supposed to mean or symbolize and not because they prefer longer hair.
I understod what it meant fast the first time i saw it when Sakura cut her hair in Naruto because she was saying that she needed to get stronger so she could help the boys and that she could not just be a cute girl anymore.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:50 am Reply with quote
The worst short cut hairstyle for me is Cecily Fairchild's of Gundam F91 after she cuts her hair. That really short hairstyle did not suit her well, she looked better with her shoulder length wavy hair she had IMO.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
Do not even get me started…
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
ericarreza wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
or a girl disguising herself has a boy.

I have to admit...this scene is amazing and awesome and badass every time I f*n see it. Anime hyper

The youtube link that you'd posted here, Chibi is actually a clip from Disney's Mulan (and it's not an anime)

Ummmm duh?

I was responding to a post that talked about this trope in WESTERN-styled media. Rolling Eyes
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
Even if I wanted to cut it I can't because it makes me look like a prepubescent squire boy Laughing

Are you quoting that one insurance commercial? Laughing

Quote:
I remember the first time I saw Tangled I absolutely hated her short hair, but it's really grown on me since then.

Oh I still *EXPLETIVE* HATE IT. It's ugly. IT IS SO FFFN UGLY. Because not only is it short (and a terrible length at that) but it's dark brown and can't grow back. Disney took the horribleness of the haircut trope and cranked it up to 11 with that little stunt. I really can't forgive the writers for that ending. I'm still mad. I'm mad every time I see it. There's no good excuse on why they didn't make it shoulder-length. NONE.

Last edited by Chiibi on Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
sk1199

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
I thought about Sakura in Naruto for cutting her hair showing a new resolve about herself.

Also I just started watching Ip Man and the whole first episode revolves around cutting off top knots. I don't know if it means the same thing in China as in Japan but in the story a child is told that the top knot shows reverence for ancestors.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:38 am Reply with quote
There's more aggressiveness when it comes to "short hair vs long hair" in the anime community than I thought apparently lol

I personally love this trope. I think it's all levels of badass when a girl cuts her hair in defiance, and also very meaningful if she cuts it for an emotional reason/she's decided to change. I also think it's pretty cool if it gets accidentally cut in a fight or they cut it themselves to get away because it shows how much they struggled.

Moments like Sakura cutting her hair willingly to symbolically show she's going to try and be a better ninja (even if it arguably took a bit), Lenalee from DGM having her hair burnt away in her fight against an Akuma, or even Serena from Pokemon cutting it to show her new determination- Ithese moments just stick with me ^^;;;
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
My favourite use of this was in Tales of the Abyss

I was thinking the same. It's too bad a lot of overseas gamers thought spoiler[Luke cutting his hair so that he could stop being a whiny brat who blamed others for his own shortcomings after playing a part in destroying Akzeriuth was a decision that was unrealistically too sudden]. I'm not sure why they think making such a choice after that particular event in the game would be spoiler["unrealistically too sudden"], but go figure.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
CyberLance wrote:
I think most people dont like the cutting hair thing because most people in the west dont understands what its supposed to mean or symbolize and not because they prefer longer hair.

The problem with your thesis is twofold: First, cutting hair is very common in Western Media. Second, there's no fixed symbolism to the act of cutting hair.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
My understanding it that hair dyed blond is the style badge of a yankee/yanki, aka a juvenile delinquent or gang member type (but not yakuza, I think).

It's not as bad anymore these days as girls in AV vids tend to have dyed blond hair anyway (no not in the nether region perverts)! The guys do too. It's probably become more accepted these days as cosplay, lifestyle changes, etc. are more in line with modern times. There's one Youtuber who's a cosplayer and recently started a channel about gaming called Zuvi-nyan who has all shades of the freakin' rainbow but she knows her stuff so go over there and give her vids a watch or two.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I shall admit to my envy of those who are able to cut their own hair. Being averse to the bête noire of a barber's small talk, the benefits of doing so are more than just financial.

As an introverted nerd who's been around the hairdressing industry all of her life, I find this thought very interesting. A hairstylist is usually the very person a nerd can talk her head off to because it's a familiar relationship and they want to talk about what you do because you're the client. And there are a lot of receptionists who are into quirky things: The conversation can get going before the service even does.

I love the trope of altering hair to show dramatic change in style, outlook or just plain revenge. It's a fantastic visual metaphor and can be very stylistically dynamic.

Doesn't mean the artists always get it right, though. I'm right there with the not liking of Rapunzel's short, brown 'do. On the other hand, I not only didn't like that Tiana didn't change her hair to a better, modern ( for the period) hairstyle but that she had the most god-awful ponytail in the ending scene.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
CyberLance wrote:

Hard to say what the most common cause for the dislike of it is, but most of the bitching about it I see is people complaining that the character in question looked better with long hair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4