• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is It Such A Big Deal When Anime Characters Cut Their Hair?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
Mogami Kyoko does not give a fudge
CyberLance

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:20 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
CyberLance wrote:
I think most people dont like the cutting hair thing because most people in the west dont understands what its supposed to mean or symbolize and not because they prefer longer hair.

The problem with your thesis is twofold: First, cutting hair is very common in Western Media. Second, there's no fixed symbolism to the act of cutting hair.

I meant cutting your hair in that dramatic way they do in Japanese media where its supposed to symbolize the girls resolve to get stronger and improve herself in different ways.
In Japan there is big symbolism for a girl to cut her hair in that way actually and they do it with men too sometimes.
And i did not mean just cutting your hair because you want shorter hair if thats what you mean by western media.
I have seen many times where western anime and manga fans think the cutting your hair thing is stupid, weird and silly because they dont understand why they make it so dramatic.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
From what I've always got from it, having long hair reflects your personality. And by cutting, you shed your old naive self and it marks your transition into a stronger more mature person. Wendy from Fairy Tail comes to mind. The biggest example is Sakura from Naruto. Although for characters like Hinata, also from Naruto, it's the opposite. Long hair is a standard for the Hyuga, but because her father deemed her weak and unworthy, she wasn't allowed to have it long like her father, sister, and cousin. It wasn't until Shippuden where her strength blossomed and she was allowed to grow it. (spoiler[Though she did cut it again when she became a mother, but that was solely by choice]).

With all that said though, long hair for some characters is also seen as a characteristic trait. It would be like Sailor Moon cutting her iconic blonde pigtails; it just wouldn't work.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
I remember the first time I saw Tangled I absolutely hated her short hair, but it's really grown on me since then.

Oh I still *EXPLETIVE* HATE IT. It's ugly. IT IS SO FFFN UGLY. Because not only is it short (and a terrible length at that) but it's dark brown and can't grow back. Disney took the horribleness of the haircut trope and cranked it up to 11 with that little stunt. I really can't forgive the writers for that ending. I'm still mad. I'm mad every time I see it. There's no good excuse on why they didn't make it shoulder-length. NONE.

I'm usually a fan of long hair too, although in some cases, shorter styles can also look good, and Rapunzel's new look was one of those. And besides, just because she got her hair cut doesn't mean she can't grow it back if she feels like it. It just won't have those magical properties anymore. And maybe she likes it shorter because, to her, having that long hair was the main reason for her captivity in the first place.

I used to have long hair too, mostly because I liked it that way, but also partially because I kind of wanted to have it to show my "membership" of the metal subculture. However, as happens with many men as they grow older, my hair thinned out enough that I couldn't really defend keeping it anymore, and so I cut it off. ALL of it. And when you've lived for more than thirty years furiously defending your hair from all kinds of opinionated people, when the time finally comes, people really noticed. I don't think it's even a mild exaggeration that everyone stared for at least a month every time they saw me. Well... people who at least vaguely knew who I was, that is. Even the guy whose hair trimmer I asked to borrow to do the job called me back one minute later to ask me if he "heard me correctly". ^^;;

I would be lying if I said I didn't still miss it, though. The guy who told me it's much easier to maintain, though, was lying through his teeth. I still trim my head every weekend now, and every time I've finished, it looks like a small fuzzy animal has exploded in my bathroom wash basin, which I have to clean up.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:50 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

I'm usually a fan of long hair too, although in some cases, shorter styles can also look good, and Rapunzel's new look was one of those. And besides, just because she got her hair cut doesn't mean she can't grow it back if she feels like it. It just won't have those magical properties anymore. And maybe she likes it shorter because, to her, having that long hair was the main reason for her captivity in the first place.

Actually, she can't grow it back. That was part of the plot. She had a short piece of hair that was all brown among her blonde locks because it was cut when she was a baby and it never grew again. So that's why people were understandably shocked when it was cut so short, because it's a permanent change. spoiler[Well at least until it was undone by the tv series.]
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:58 am Reply with quote
Ah. I guess I just assumed that if you cut it, the magic stops working at those parts, and she'd go on to trim away the light brown parts so it wouldn't stand out in her otherwise magical golden color. (Presumably at the behest of her "mother", who would probably be even less keen to look upon non-life-extending parts of her hair.)

It's been a while since I watched it last. ^^;;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4