• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Battleship Yamato 2202 Anime Film Series Gets TV Version this Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arsenette

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
What going be difference between Yamato 2202 TV and the film series aside from it being cut up version?

2202 seems to be borrowing heavily from the timeline and characters from the movie Farewell Yamato (difficult to talk about without talking about spoilers so I will do my best to generalize it). I grew up watching the television adaptation of the same story but with a completely different outcome. My favorite character is vastly different from her movie portrayal. In the movie (as with 2202) the character of Teresa (whom I remember as Treleina with the bad dub from 1980) was a literal Goddess and always naked... The television series had her more mortal with great psychic powers (and rocking a really cool blue glowing dress). How people encounter this character is the core of what makes the movie and television series vastly different. The television series basically retconned the movie when it came out. I personally prefer the television series (blue dress Teresa) due to the events that happen around her and ultimately the ending that greatly involves her.

From what I understand however, 2202 is using the movie as a basis to delineate Teresa's character (movie version), then launching the brand new series in September with a new storyline but with this timeline if that makes sense. All I'm concerned with is that the ending I loved from 1980 is not going to be visited at all. I'm a bit disappointed, however I love the new additions so I'm hopeful this new version goes well. So far I'm happy with the reboot and am eager to see the direction they take it given it's all new material.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
What going be difference between Yamato 2202 TV and the film series aside from it being cut up version?

Nothing aside from possibly different opening and ending credits/songs.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
[quote="Arsenette"]
Wrangler wrote:
From what I understand however, 2202 is using the movie as a basis to delineate Teresa's character (movie version), then launching the brand new series in September with a new storyline but with this timeline if that makes sense.

Sorry, but the way I'm reading it, it doesn't make any sense at all.

What's launching in September isn't brand new. 2202 has been progressing since February 2017. So far, 18 episodes edited into 5 movies for cinematic release have been completed, with the sixth chapter (Episodes 19-22) to be released in cinemas on November 2.

It is still largely based on a mix of Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato: Soldiers of Love (the movie version) and Space Battleship Yamato 2 TV series (the version more familiar to Star Blazers fans). The bulk of the story that has been adapted from these sources has been from the movie version (character designs are closer to the movie than the TV version), but they have brought in elements from the TV series as well, and they've added some new storylines.

The Japanese TV release will be exactly the same as the episodes/movies released so far and that started streaming on Crunchyroll and Funimation in May.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2