• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Strawberry Panic Blu-ray Listed for June From Media Blasters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It’s been on HiDive since they launched. It’s under “Destiny of the Shrine Maiden”.

Heishi wrote:
I checked and it has, but only in dubbed which kinda pisses me off.

Thanks I found it now. I have a HIDIVE subscription so I don’t know why I didn’t notice it before.

TheMorry wrote:
Yea you dont buy their DVD releases. All are DVD-R ans most of them are unplayable on normal DVD players. Only on pc it might work IF they actually put the right disc data on the disk.... I learned it the hard way.... Kanokon and Ladies versus butlers are unplayable.... byebye 60 bucks. The blurays should be fine i guess...

I’ve bought titles on BD so yes should generally be fine. Out of an abundance of caution I have waited sometimes a little after release so people will review them to order a copy though. (Plus the release dates shift.) With the Kite Uncut since the masters for some of the material weren’t in very good shape there is a quality drop at points. Since I already own the pressed uncut DVD I didn’t see the point buying it again. But, that's the only BD release I've heard issues about.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:50 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the light novel of this from Seven Seas, but found the anime a real slog.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
My Fushigi Yuugi OVA Discs from Media Blasters don't play at all (PC or PS3).
So much for that -_-

I still have my old pioneer dvds of FY OVA.
Glad I didn't give those away.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
Could anyone tell me if this is real romance story? I was reading a review about Kiss and White Lily for My Dearest Girl on this site and Rebecca Silverman said
Quote:
On the positive side, this does not appear to be erring on the side of “practice romance,” such as titles like Strawberry Panic! give us, with the girls only dating each other until they find “real” romance with men later in life
so now I'm uncertain if I want to buy this.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Could anyone tell me if this is real romance story? I was reading a review about Kiss and White Lily for My Dearest Girl on this site and Rebecca Silverman said
Quote:
On the positive side, this does not appear to be erring on the side of “practice romance,” such as titles like Strawberry Panic! give us, with the girls only dating each other until they find “real” romance with men later in life

I don't know what Rebecca is talking about, this series is remembered for not having any males (not even on the background, not father on the other side of the telephone, etc.) whatsoever, so it was theorized that no male existed at all in the world of Strawberry Panic. Is this part of the "if it is not 100% confirmed lesbian love we will disavow any such anime" movement going on reddit?

Not that I mean you should but a mangablaster release, I am on the "lets bury this zombie" faction.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Random Name wrote:
Quote:

I don't know what Rebecca is talking about, this series is remembered for not having any males (not even on the background, not father on the other side of the telephone, etc.) whatsoever, so it was theorized that no male existed at all in the world of Strawberry Panic. Is this part of the "if it is not 100% confirmed lesbian love we will disavow any such anime" movement going on reddit?

Not that I mean you should but a mangablaster release, I am on the "lets bury this zombie" faction.

Actually, there was an image of this one guy in the episode where they set up a play.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
Hmm… Strawberry Panic was a title they reprinted with DVD-Rs right? It wasn’t released that way to begin with correct? I stopped buying Media Blasters DVD releases around 2013, but SP isn’t one in my collection. Since Seven Seas have been releasing the novels in digital format I guess this is good timing. Still, I think the only title left out of MB's catalogue I want is Yamibo. The BD was scheduled for last year then the date was pushed and retailers canceled orders. I felt like it was kind of a miracle Kite and Ai no Kusabi came out again last year. (The English dub for the latter is actually very good.)

what i hope is that SP and simoun FINALLY gets an english dub. i mean if Citrus could get one, then those two yuri series should easily get one. but since that its MB were talking about here, it might take a miracle and a half for those series to get one considering on how many years it took for kashimashi to get an english dub and that yuri series wasn't as popular as strawberry panic back then!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
^
It probably doesn't have anything to do with MB. Justin Sevakis has confirmed that it sold REALLY poorly in its original subtitled-only release, so unless it somehow gets a popularity resurgence, no one's going to take a chance on a BR (if a Japanese one is even available) or a dub. By comparison, Citrus seems to have been relatively popular, but it is much more of a "traditional" yuri title. Simoun is definitely in its own class.

(And I say that as someone who absolutely adores that series.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
katscradle wrote:
Hmm… Strawberry Panic was a title they reprinted with DVD-Rs right? It wasn’t released that way to begin with correct? I stopped buying Media Blasters DVD releases around 2013, but SP isn’t one in my collection. Since Seven Seas have been releasing the novels in digital format I guess this is good timing. Still, I think the only title left out of MB's catalogue I want is Yamibo. The BD was scheduled for last year then the date was pushed and retailers canceled orders. I felt like it was kind of a miracle Kite and Ai no Kusabi came out again last year. (The English dub for the latter is actually very good.)

what i hope is that SP and simoun FINALLY gets an english dub. i mean if Citrus could get one, then those two yuri series should easily get one. but since that its MB were talking about here, it might take a miracle and a half for those series to get one considering on how many years it took for kashimashi to get an english dub and that yuri series wasn't as popular as strawberry panic back then!

I do believe Simoun has a dub. It was announced the same time as the yaoi anime Loveless.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:40 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I didn't know such a movement existed on Reddit. I'm generally okay as long as the lesbian relationships arnt treated as just a phase. Sorta like nameless asterism... honestly I almost feel it's better to wait till a manga finishes before reading it. And thanks for clarifying since I found her statement very concerning but it seems I don't have to worry.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Well, it's not too far off and if Rightstuf allows you to pre-order then maybe there's hope. Unlike Yamibo.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

I do believe Simoun has a dub. It was announced the same time as the yaoi anime Loveless.

no it didn't get a dub. just an upgrade to blue ray!

Key wrote:
^
It probably doesn't have anything to do with MB. Justin Sevakis has confirmed that it sold REALLY poorly in its original subtitled-only release, so unless it somehow gets a popularity resurgence, no one's going to take a chance on a BR (if a Japanese one is even available) or a dub. By comparison, Citrus seems to have been relatively popular, but it is much more of a "traditional" yuri title. Simoun is definitely in its own class.

(And I say that as someone who absolutely adores that series.)

considering that the manga did well enough, you would think it would get one. but since its getting a blue ray version, its possible. i mean if kashimashi got one, then i could see strawberry panic getting one. that is if these blue ray versions sell well enough! if it doesnt then yea, its more than likely that this series will forever have a sub only version in the US!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2