• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't There Japanese Voice Actor Bloopers?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Pepitone

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
The visual novel "Killer Queen" had a blooper section at the end.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
CosmicCortex wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
I recall a past Answerman explaining that English releases don't have gag reels on disc anymore because the Japanese companies find them shameful and don't allow it. That why they only get shown at cons.

There are a few shows that have improv segments so that might be what a gag reel would be like.

Aniplex must've changed their minds at some point, because most of AoA's dubbed releases since Your Lie in April have included the bloopers. Sadly, that also means paying AoA prices to see them now.

Ain't no shame in making mistakes. We're only human. However, considering the prices of anime sets, especially in Japan, one expects a work of art. Would you rather have good packaging and playback, or some thrown-together extras? Many western releases are stuck in the early-2000s with the latter model, although it might be justified when we don't have the promotional events Japan does where you get to actually see the VAs, as Justin said.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Thu May 24, 2018 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I never once found bloopers to be funny
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Recently there was a series (possibly more than one) that had "outtakes" of the animated characters flubbing their lines or their on-screen actions...can't quite remember what it was. gdgd men's party? Show by Rock? Whatever, it was pretty clever.

One of my favorites wasn't an outtake set but scenes from Texhnolyze with scripted alternative dialog, such as the "Child Safe" version. You can find them on YT, but if you've never seen Texhnolyze, they probably won't be very funny.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Also, voice acting pays pretty poor in Japan .

That really depends on your rank. You get paid substantially more when you become a "ranker," which you only become after a certain amount of years.
Also, voice actors sometimes get to appear in events, which pay very well usually. I have a Japanese VA friend who does VA work, but mainly makes his money off event and livestream appearances. He makes a lot more than me, and I'm an employee at a Japanese company. lol
NormanS

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
The only "blooper" i know of was the box scene involving the voice actor Nakamura Eriko of Haruki from Idolmaster but thats from the radio show and not in a recording session.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Are you revisiting old questions? I asked this a couple years ago and you answered it and now you're answering it again today.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Sheriru wrote:
Whenever, for some reason, i tell someone what being a voice actor means in japan and some of them are real celebrities, i get "the look". You know?. Whenever its about japan and how different certain things are, its either a certain face someone is showing you as reaction or some like "oh theyre so weird."
*sighs* Confused

Ugh. You're not alone in that regard. God forbid other human beings do things *gasp* differently that other on another part of the globe. I figured we'd be more globally connected these days as a race, but idiots and the ignorant want it their way. Absolutely loathesome.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
The blu-rays for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - one of them, at least - had a bunch of dub voice actor bloopers/antics and they were a pretty good riot imo.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Are you revisiting old questions? I asked this a couple years ago and you answered it and now you're answering it again today.

Yeah, I dust off old questions when the ones I get aren’t suitable for the column. In some cases I will update and/or add to the answer, as I did here. I usually pick from 2014 or 2015, before we changed the format to be one question per column, to make the answers easier for readers to find.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Japanese voice actors are not celebrities outside of maybe Masako Nozawa. Nobody cares about voice actors in Japan apart from otaku. Also, voice acting pays pretty poor in Japan
Certainly not nearly as well as Los Angeles union American animation. Comparing dubs to the Japanese when it comes to voice actor pay is stupid; try comparing US animation pay to anime pay. Not saying you shouldn't compare voice actors, but it's a false equivalence fallacy to company dub budgets to original budgets. Compare like for like.

America and Japan are the closest comparison, apart from maybe France. "Los Angeles union American animation" actually gutted the animation industry, first to Japan and France, and today South Korea and Vietnam. It's also no wonder voice acting moved to Texas, a right-to-work state. I'm not ripping on unions. Japan has unions, except they're not as crazy as Hollywood's unions. Agencies usually do the collective bargaining, too.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Mon May 28, 2018 5:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
CosmicCortex wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
I recall a past Answerman explaining that English releases don't have gag reels on disc anymore because the Japanese companies find them shameful and don't allow it. That why they only get shown at cons.

There are a few shows that have improv segments so that might be what a gag reel would be like.

Aniplex must've changed their minds at some point, because most of AoA's dubbed releases since Your Lie in April have included the bloopers. Sadly, that also means paying AoA prices to see them now.

I wouldn't be surprised if those prices are part of why they were included since it is at least something extra to help give the customer some incentive to pay Aniplex prices.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Also it only ever seemed like certain Anime Works/Media Blasters titles like Berserk, The Gokusen for instance had dub blooper reels on them.

Yeah, to also add to that list, Midori Days as well, lol.

But yeah, bloopers or gag reels seem to be a relic of its pasttime, though yeah, its rare to see them now and days.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Recently there was a series (possibly more than one) that had "outtakes" of the animated characters flubbing their lines or their on-screen actions...can't quite remember what it was. gdgd men's party? Show by Rock? Whatever, it was pretty clever.

I'd be interested in knowing what show it was, if you or anyone else can remember.
I think this approach - actually animating the characters goofing up, like what Pixar and Disney did for certain films - would be the best way to do outtakes for anime. Hearing voice actors flub a few lines is okay, but seeing the whole goof-up take place "on set", with characters falling out of character, is much funnier in a surreal sort of way, playing around with the show's sense of reality.
Of course, animating a full blooper reel is probably not an expense most projects can afford (or would want to?).
Roger Pepitone

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
One of the Sora no Otoshimono endings had that sort of pseudo-outtake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3