• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't There Japanese Voice Actor Bloopers?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember higurashi having NG videos; pretty sure those were staged, tho.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Follow-up question: Do blooper reels from American media make it to Japanese home release very often? If they do, what do the Japanese think of them?

Me, I love blooper reels, though I know some of the ones I've seen are staged. I feel like more amusing incidents happen when the actors have a background in improv comedy though. There are a lot of them in Osmosis Jones, for instance, because most of the cast has done improv before, and so they outright include the actors just making up lines that weren't in the original script. Twice Upon a Time is even more extreme: While I haven't seen a blooper reel form that, the ENTIRE cast consisted of improv comedians (and they were all improv comedians at the time they were cast), meaning a large part of the dialogue in that movie was made up on the spot.

The blooper lines in the video game Freedom Planet were pretty unusual too, in that the voice actors would sometimes go completely off on tangents. I remember one you could activate in a cutscene about halfway through the game in which two of the characters suddenly started talking about using Tim-Tams as currency (apparently, the voice actor of The Magister wasn't able to read his line and just made something up, and his addressee, forgot whom, decided to just play along). Most of them were a single line, however, and the sound test also had the character Syntax, or at least her voice actor, repeatedly unable to say "Intruders engaged."

azabaro wrote:
I can think of one example of an original Japanese blooper: the recording booth segment from episode 2 of Pop Team Epic! (2nd half of the episode).

That one looked like it was completely staged to me when I saw it, especially when one of them started crying and breaking down.

mbanu wrote:
Quote:
Most actual dubbing screw-ups aren't all that amusing to listen to. Occasionally an actor gets tongue-tied and might mutter, "aah, ****, let me start again." A handful of actors who are really quick-witted might spin a screw-up into a funny one-liner or something. But at least 90% of most dub "blooper reels" are actually staged antics.

So long as I can continue to believe that voice actors are exactly like the characters they portray in real life, I am fine with this revelation. Smile

What's funnier, if you ask me, is when it's accidentally left in the finished product. There is one line in Sonic 2006, for instance, where the actor (playing a G.U.N. officer) accidentally calls Wave Ocean "the Wave Ocean," then restarts, and they left the entire thing like that in the game.

Vaisaga wrote:
I recall a past Answerman explaining that English releases don't have gag reels on disc anymore because the Japanese companies find them shameful and don't allow it. That why they only get shown at cons.

Bummer. Not even for the English dubs? Do the Japanese companies find them shameful on their behalf?

jdnation wrote:
I imagine most good bloopers tend to occur during group va settings, likely more for American animation projects where they might pre dub before final animation to animatics and then tailor the animation to the performance of the actors, some whom might be hired specifically for being comedians and the director gives them room to play around for a funny scene and use the best/appropriate takes for the final. Given most American animation is largely comedic and CG, this likely makes it easier for bloopers to occur in the sound booth. Though most might just naturally come about from scripts with a more open dialogue approach allowing the actors to come up with off the cuff jokes on their own.

Something I'd like to say: I mentioned Osmosis Jones and Twice Upon a Time as two American animated films where the cast did a lot of improv. A lot of the lines that ARE in the movie were not in the original script. Stuff like Drix rhythmically saying "You're surrounded!" when he and Ozzy ambush some viruses in a nightclub or The Fairy Godmother listing off the superhero-in-training's (forgot his name) history of catastrophic mistakes. Osmosis Jones even left in a line in which Chris Rock, as Ozzy, says, "Brandy--I mean Leah!" (making it a fourth-wall joke by accident).

This sort of thing can only really be done when the acting comes first and the animation comes later. Otherwise, you get stuff like Popeye's mutterings with his mouth closed, which were also improvised lines.

Compelled to Reply wrote:
Ain't no shame in making mistakes. We're only human. However, considering the prices of anime sets, especially in Japan, one expects a work of art. Would you rather have good packaging and playback, or some thrown-together extras? Many western releases are stuck in the early-2000s with the latter model, although it might be justified when we don't have the promotional events Japan does where you get to actually see the VAs, as Justin said.

I'd actually prefer behind-the-scenes extras. All I ask of the packaging is for it to be durable enough to not break for the length that I have the home video release, for it to not damage the insides, and for it to be recognizable and identifiable immediately.

That's the real impetus I moved from DVDs to Blu-Rays: It's when I found out that my home video release of Frozen had so many more extras for its Blu-Ray that I pre-emptively got the combo pack and then got a Blu-Ray player later so I could watch them. SD vs. HD doesn't mean anything to me because the TV that I watch these on has broken HDMI, so I watch and play everything on it in SD anyway.

Not sure if I'd pay Aniplex prices for that though.

Gurren Rodan wrote:
I think this approach - actually animating the characters goofing up, like what Pixar and Disney did for certain films - would be the best way to do outtakes for anime. Hearing voice actors flub a few lines is okay, but seeing the whole goof-up take place "on set", with characters falling out of character, is much funnier in a surreal sort of way, playing around with the show's sense of reality.
Of course, animating a full blooper reel is probably not an expense most projects can afford (or would want to?).

The Incredibles 1 did something weird: They had ANIMATION bloopers, though it's mostly just them showcasing what it looked like before their physics, and sometimes rendering, were finished. Much of it consisted of Violet's hair flailing wildly in the air and slowly drifting down like confetti any time she made any sudden movements of her head. It was interesting to see, nonetheless.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Also it only ever seemed like certain Anime Works/Media Blasters titles like Berserk, The Gokusen for instance had dub blooper reels on them.

not quite. there was actually one in the old angel sanctuary ovas where it had stints on a much younger crispin freeman insisting that he is NOT an otaku.

and there is the old bandai versions of eureka 7. though in that one, the blooper extra felt kinda deliberate by the VAs of renton and eureka.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3