• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - FRANXXly my Darling, I Don't Give A Damn

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:32 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
This is a supposedly uber controlled dystopian society with an authoritarian government that can easily wipe people's memories, yet they not only decide to reinsert their newly reindoctrinated subjects into the ideologically contaminated group -a group they could've easily reindoctrinated too, but for some random reason chose not to- they don't even take off the bloody rings.

Dr. Franxx obviously has pull within APE, given that they let him make a custom squad of protagonists with fancy non-standard robots in the first place. It's far from a stretch that they'd excise elements that went over the line while allowing the rest of the experiment to continue.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Yeah, given the degree to which they want us to accept the lives & knowledge of the people in this dystopia as divorced from all traditional human emotion and tradition, choosing to set it only some 50 odd years in the future was a pretty dumb decision.

Just wanted to point out that the first klax attack was in 2037 and current events are in 2137. So yeah, it's well over 100 years.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Just wanted to point out that the first klax attack was in 2037 and current events are in 2137. So yeah, it's well over 100 years.

Ah, right -- noticed that when reading the main FranXX thread. Does make it a bit better. Thanks for pointing it out here.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
Apologies in advance for taking part of your reply out of context, but...
NeverConvex wrote:
That sounds very much like saying that consuming anime is about "break(ing) it down to find nuggets of truth."
That is the entire point of fiction as a whole, not something unique to anime. No matter how unrealistic the events portrayed are, they have to be based on some commonality of the human experience or the audience will reject them.

It's honestly pretty hard, since, as seen in this thread, any two humans sampled at random won't have that much in common with one another. This is precisely why the concept of a "target audience" exists, though that's not really an excuse to be completely devoid of empathy for the remainder of humanity. (I will grant that DITF is trying, but doesn't really know how.)

If two gay husbands want to say "hey, this doesn't really line up with my experience of reality," they're probably right. If the average straight male wants to say "hey, this is exactly in line with my reality," he, too, is right. Reality is an oddly subjective thing that way.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
Think that's a return to the original issue I was interested in, wolf10 (as opposed to the semantics argument I'd gotten into over what nargun meant), so I'll reply:

wolf10 wrote:
Apologies in advance for taking part of your reply out of context, but...

I don't think you've done it any damage by taking it out of context, no worries.

wolf10 wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
That sounds very much like saying that consuming anime is about "break(ing) it down to find nuggets of truth."
That is the entire point of fiction as a whole, not something unique to anime. No matter how unrealistic the events portrayed are, they have to be based on some commonality of the human experience or the audience will reject them.

I agree that there needs to be enough content in fiction for it to be intellectually or emotionally comprehensible on some level (the alternative is practically equivalent to watching white noise or 'reading' uniformly-random character sequences), but I don't think that's the same thing as 'finding nuggets of truth.' People consume fiction for many reasons. Identifying meaningful truths is one, but there're plenty of others entirely orthogonal to that, e.g. to escape from their day-to-day concerns or simply to enjoy some mindless spectacle.
Tirol Choco

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
macattack wrote:
I agree.

I think the reaction to Franxx is in some ways similar to the backlash over The Last Jedi when it released. People are projecting their hopes and fears onto the story and it is causing strong emotional reactions. There isn't much room for middle ground here in the eyes of the strongly opinionated.
The Last Jedi is a good example of that since that movie did cause strong emotional response in almost everyone who watched it. I think there is a similar situation with Darling in the Franxx and The Last Jedi in that both movies have themes that resonate with people though for very different reasons.

The notion of comparing a 40 year franchise's eighth main installment to seasonal anime garbage is ridiculous. TLJ has a clear divisive reception among fandom with people liking it or hating it based solely on their own perception to the franchise Franxx is largely mixed with people not feeling strongly towards it negatively (As Jacob points out)
or people being solely indifferent to it (Japan in general) with most of its positive reception being a very loud miniority who would gladly consume anything Trigger expels and call it the best thing ever.

Quote:
I think it is curious that some people are trying to convince other people not to watch the show. Personally I think that Darling in the Franxx is a good show and is the best mecha show I have seen in the last 5 years. Gurren Lagann is still the most entertaining mecha show but it would be incredibly difficult to match the pure exuberance of that show.

When people say stuff like this it just goes to show you don't watch mecha anime. Top it off with the fact that the mevha aspect in Franxx is as much of a let down as is writing hell there jas not been a single mecha battle within the last four episoded so the fact that you think Franxx is a good show let alone the best mecha anime within the last 5 years is an insult.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The biggest issue I had with The Last Jedi was spoiler[when the sacred texts in the Jedi temple were burned with the argument that the books were no longer needed. I find it baffling that a growing number of people argue for historical ignorance. History is the best way to avoid making the same mistakes that people in the past have made.]

spoiler[At the end, we find out Rey had taken the books. That's why Yoda said Rey had everything she needed, which was pretty sly of him lol.]

Apologies for going slightly off-topic.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
Tirol Choco wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
I think it is curious that some people are trying to convince other people not to watch the show. Personally I think that Darling in the Franxx is a good show and is the best mecha show I have seen in the last 5 years. Gurren Lagann is still the most entertaining mecha show but it would be incredibly difficult to match the pure exuberance of that show.

When people say stuff like this it just goes to show you don't watch mecha anime. Top it off with the fact that the mevha aspect in Franxx is as much of a let down as is writing hell there jas not been a single mecha battle within the last four episoded so the fact that you think Franxx is a good show let alone the best mecha anime within the last 5 years is an insult.

While I don’t quite agree with Chrono1000’s placement of the series, I don’t think it is that outlandish of an opinion (provided it is limited to new original mecha series) and furthermore, just like the reviewers aren’t insulting people by voicing their criticisms of the show, other people just liking a show and having a high opinion of it isn’t insulting you. Certainly there are badly behaved fans of the series, but the very act of liking a show and/or having a high opinion of it is not an insult.

While I find the comparison to The Last Jedi tenuous, I don’t see why you think Franxx fans aren’t liking the show based on their own perception of the series and are mostly just liking it because they like everything thing Trigger puts out mindlessly.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
I don't think FranXX is all that great a show, but I can't remember many good mecha anime from the past 5 years either, so it feels like the competition's a little shallow. Have there been any recent mecha standouts? I thought Gundam Unicorn was alright. Other than that...?
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
Where is it stated that this is set in 2137? I don't remember that ever coming up.

Regardless, every 'adult' in this setting was alive through the 2030s; there's no way they could have just 'forgotten' how their lives used to be.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I don't think FranXX is all that great a show, but I can't remember many good mecha anime from the past 5 years either, so it feels like the competition's a little shallow. Have there been any recent mecha standouts? I thought Gundam Unicorn was alright. Other than that...?

I would say that Gundam the Origin and Gundam Thunderbolt have been the best of the last 5 years IMO, but in terms of new mecha series, I would agree that its competition is a bit shallow, though I think a bit more highly of some of those series than you seem to. I don’t really want to go too deep into this here, as it may be a bit off topic.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
Scherzo wrote:
Where is it stated that this is set in 2137? I don't remember that ever coming up.

On the basis of my extensive google researching, I believe in the plot-dump episode they gave 2037 as the original Klax attack year and that earlier in the series they said something about the war having gone on for a century or more. Don't remember what episode the century comment was in, but it does sound vaguely familiar.

zrnzle500 wrote:
I would say that Gundam the Origin and Gundam Thunderbolt have been the best of the last 5 years IMO, but in terms of new mecha series, I would agree that its competition is a bit shallow, though I think a bit more highly of some of those series than you seem to. I don’t really want to go too deep into this here, as it may be a bit off topic.

Fair enough. I also haven't even seen Gundam the Origin or Gundam Thunderbolt, so I don't know that I'd have anything meaningful to say there anyway. Razz Unicorn was one of the few main gundam universe(s) shows I've watched end-to-end recently.

Mmm, there's also the new Full Metal Panic series. I've been avoiding it until I can find time to re-watch the original two seasons though, since I've forgotten a lot've the plot.

Oh, and Iron Blooded Orphans! I actually thought IBO was pretty good as well.

There was also the new Aquarion installment, but despite being a fan of the original series I gave up on that thing 3 or so episodes in.

But yeah, a bit off topic, as you said, so maybe I should stop there, heh.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
This is something so many people seem to just ignore. They treat a bad review of a show they like as some sort of personal insult. As if the reviewer is saying if you like this show you're scum or stupid. Which has never been the case here, ever.

Is the emphasis on "here"? Because people were having issues with the comments they made on their Twitter about people on the forums and fans of the show earlier.

And to be fair, "ever" is a long time, and long time forums goers could list some examples, but if were sticking to this series specifically, then fair enough.

-Stuart Smith
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:10 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I agree that there needs to be enough content in fiction for it to be intellectually or emotionally comprehensible on some level (the alternative is practically equivalent to watching white noise or 'reading' uniformly-random character sequences), but I don't think that's the same thing as 'finding nuggets of truth.' People consume fiction for many reasons. Identifying meaningful truths is one, but there're plenty of others entirely orthogonal to that, e.g. to escape from their day-to-day concerns or simply to enjoy some mindless spectacle.
Being able to watch something "mindlessly" is a luxury of being part of the target audience. It's not a bad thing, really, since it means your reality aligns enough with what is presented that you don't need to do any extra work to understand it. That is what most writers expect.

People who aren't in the target audience have to put in extra work to reach that kind of understanding, and that involves picking apart why that understanding didn't come naturally to begin with. That tends to shine light on a lot of things that almost certainly weren't placed intentionally, and depending on the writer/writers' level of empathy, it can become kind of a mess. Nobody really wants it, but it's a natural consequence of publishing any work of fiction for the general public.

Knowing this, there are things writers do when they are aware that that kind of thematic scrutiny could take away from the entertainment value. (Titles omitted to prevent spoilers.)

There was a sci-fi series not too long ago that tried to say grandiose things about heterosexual reproduction as the meaning of life, but it also attempted to acknowledge alternatives by having a gay male character serve a positive purpose as the surrogate father for the main dude's child while he was off martyring himself. I honestly wasn't thrilled about that one from a storytelling perspective, but I acknowledge that it tried.

There was also a recent mecha series where baby-making ended up being the capstone of the MC's arc, that still managed to give a gay male character a sympathetic story arc that neither undermined his established orientation nor used him as some sort of tragic counterpoint to the MC's "proper" relationship. (Which was pretty alternative, anyway.) That kind of writing actually reduces the thematic importance of the act by establishing it as just one of many possible outcomes, allowing a larger range of viewers to focus on the mechs instead.

This isn't me saying that there needs to be positive gay representation everywhere, no matter what a story is about, since that also isn't a reflection of reality. However, when a writer wants to present certain ideas, it's best not to write in a vacuum.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:17 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Fair enough. I also haven't even seen Gundam the Origin or Gundam Thunderbolt, so I don't know that I'd have anything meaningful to say there anyway. Razz Unicorn was one of the few main gundam universe(s) shows I've watched end-to-end recently.

Mmm, there's also the new Full Metal Panic series. I've been avoiding it until I can find time to re-watch the original two seasons though, since I've forgotten a lot've the plot.

Oh, and Iron Blooded Orphans! I actually thought IBO was pretty good as well.

There was also the new Aquarion installment, but despite being a fan of the original series I gave up on that thing 3 or so episodes in.

But yeah, a bit off topic, as you said, so maybe I should stop there, heh.

I’d definitely recommend the new Full Metal Panic whenever you get to it, unless one is firmly against CG mecha.

Agreed on IBO. I’d say it was my favorite Gundam TV series since 00, but this too is an area with shallow competition.

And, as one of the people who finished Logos, I’d say you didn’t miss much.

I’d love to bring up more, but I do think we’ll have to leave things there, at least in this particular venue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15