• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 More Nonsensical Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
falcon.punch wrote:
DRWii wrote:

Because it isn't named after the Roman Emperor, at least not directly. The developers have said it's supposed to refer to a psychological concept called the "Caligula Effect," the desire one has to do/see things they aren't supposed to. The English version even outright changed the title to "The Caligula Effect."

I knew that after watching the game. But it can be still confusing xP

It's also name-dropped in at least half of the episodes, including, I'm pretty sure, the first episode.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
And then we have Steins;Gate and all the other sort-of related titles in its universe. Granted, they are meant to be super chuuni and in S;G’s case, intentionally nonsensical. Although that doesn’t explain the origin.

Edit: Also FLCL.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Sun May 27, 2018 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And I somehow doubt that The Big O was trying to invoke thoughts of the female orgasm

Gold. Laughing

Also, I don’t quite understand the origin of Gurren Lagann’s name. I can get why that’s the title from watching the show, but I’m not sure where and how those words specifically were chosen.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Baccano is actually the Italian word for "ruckus", in reference to how chaotic the events of the series can get. Durarara has no meaning, though.

I always thought "Durarara" came from Dullahan, the headless horseman of Irish mythology.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh I loved Bakuen Campus Guardress, I hope it one day gets a Blu-Ray.
Showsni wrote:
I always thought "Durarara" came from Dullahan, the headless horseman of Irish mythology.
I heard it was the sound a phone made when vibrating.

For the poll I went for Aisha Clan-Clan, there was no other choice for me, it was the first ever cat girl I ever saw. It's odd that you don't see them as much as you did in the 90s.
Mario Di Giacomo

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
In Greek, "Big O" is "O mega". A suitable name for a robot with apocalyptic overtones.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I've been in the Fate fandom for a long time and I still have no idea what the title of Fate/stay night is supposed to mean. I guess the "Fate" part could have something to do with the Servants having to deal with the outcomes with their fates, as historical/legendary figures? Idk.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I was always under the impression that K was going with the snazzy foreign look for the same pronunciation of "kei" since the boys are pretty stylish bishies. Then the king thing gives it an extra added layer of pun. *shrug* I haven't actually seen it, so feel free to disregard if I'm way off base.
TG72

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe Pumpkin Scissors isn't on the list. I thought that would be the top spot..
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
I can't believe Pumpkin Scissors isn't on the list. I thought that would be the top spot..

It's there on the previous list, she puts up those links for good reason.
Joa

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Baccano is actually the Italian word for "ruckus", in reference to how chaotic the events of the series can get. Durarara has no meaning, though.

In the afterword of the first novel Narita said that he came up with "Durarara" on the spot when his editor asked for a title and that he isn't sure what it means himself.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the up coming anime film hilariously titled, "I Want to Eat Your Pancreas"?

Last edited by Zeino on Sun May 27, 2018 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
chronos02

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, Fate is the name of the franchise, with whatever comes after the dash being the title's specific name (Hollow Ataraxia, Strange Fake, etc.), with the further subtitle referring to the alternate specific routes for the several anime/manga/novel adaptations of the original game (UBW, Heaven's Feel).

"Fate" refers to how the events unfold, and how everything revolves around the fate of those characters throughout the story, that end up with their deaths or various scars, or situations they end up being thrown into. It's a recurring theme in the whole franchise now, but this was further accentuated by how the game involved routes, and how those routes sealed the fate of the characters, so it was a kind of play with the word and the game being a visual novel. Pretty obvious stuff if you ask me... not so obvious if one's not aware of the fact the fate franchise started as a VN.
As for "Stay Night", I'm pretty sure Nasu mentioned something related to how in most routes, a character stays the night with the MC, something which essentialy "seals" the path of one of the routes (Saber staying in shirow's house, Rin stayng there too on that route, Illya, staying too, etc.), with the "true ending" having almost every heroine staying the night in the Emiya residence. Again, it seems quite obvious. The true meaning might be otherwise though, but, again, it's also a play with the fact the game was a VN, the adult kind.

As for Myriad Colors: Phantom World, the Myriad Colors doesn't allude to the "color", but to the many different and varied types of Yôkai that the world has, as many as there are colors, and then more. This one's pretty obvious, and I'm quite sure this has been used in English for some analogies for the exact same reason (to indicate a lot of something). Phantom World also refers to the "SPOILER WARNING" The world of Phantoms, or Spirits/Yôkai, to which the cast ends up going to, and where things start to turn sour in many ways, which also serves as the series's main title, Phantom Colors being a sort of adjective. I believe it's one of the most normalish, yet interesting titles I have seen of late, not too long, not too short, and pretty explicit with the theme of the series, but adding a bit of mystery with the words.

In the end, they make sense, the list seemed pretty uninspired to me, and following this trope, Serial Experiments: Laïn would fit perfectly, since that doesn't make any sense until much later in the series, this also applies to Cowboy Bebop, and so many others. Cutey Honey being pretty weird, and FLCL being the cream of the crop, though I personally think "Attack on Titan" is weirder, aren't the titans the ones attacking? oh wait...
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
X, K, and the Fate series are awesome, regardless of their random names...although I have to say the name 'Fate' makes the most sense if you are first going into one of these series...

So again...as before...

...Yeah, so I like music not liked by anyone else so I'm finding, and thats fine, lol I don't like being a conformist. Rolling Eyes

As far as the new Spring OPs of shows I'm actually watching, here's my picks, with a runner up three:
BY FAR: #1. Fist of the Blue Sky Regenesis: Souten no Hate ni by AK-69
2. Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast for Spirits-: Tomoshibi no Manimani by Nao Toyama
3. Libra of Nil Admirari: Tandeki Mirage-ism by kradness

Runners up:
Megalobox: Bite by LEO Imai
Last Hope (Juushinki Pandora): Sirius by Bump of Chicken
Butlers x Battlers: Growth Arrow by OLDCODEX

Last edited by Time Bandit on Sun May 27, 2018 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
[Or Aika R-16: Virgin Mission. That sounds like a sex pose.

Have you seen Aika? (AKA Panty Shot - The Animation) Smile Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4