• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 More Nonsensical Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:50 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
As for "Stay Night", I'm pretty sure Nasu mentioned something related to how in most routes, a character stays the night with the MC, something which essentialy "seals" the path of one of the routes (Saber staying in shirow's house, Rin stayng there too on that route, Illya, staying too, etc.), with the "true ending" having almost every heroine staying the night in the Emiya residence.

"Stay/night" is the title of the climax part of the fate route with the final fights. More importantly it's the part where Shirou has to make the choice whether to make Saber stay with him or let her go. You can guess three times which part of the day it all happens in. It's Engrish, and Nasu likes slashes a looot, but it's def not nonsensical.
Fate can obviously refer to any number of things related to the main themes of the novel.
RogerSmith2004

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
I'm surprised Ergo Proxy isn't on this list. Even Dai Sato himself admitted that he chose the name because, "It's cool".

The anime itself is cool so this is completely okay but yeah. :V

Ergo Proxy is in reference to the ergo cogito sum, "I think therefore I am", connecting to Vincent's search for self discovery within the show.
Javelin401

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked to vote for the Puma Sisters from "Dominion Tank Police" (First Cat-Girls I remember seeing in an Anime!) (M'Ress from the animated Star Trek probably does not count here!)
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
There's an option to add a name to the list right there at the bottom. Each person can only add one, though.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Actually, you can add more than one if you add one, then go back and edit your selections and add another, since you can select up to three.

Which, coincidentally, is how I corrected the list by adding Kuon and Katt to it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
RogerSmith2004 wrote:
Ergo Proxy is in reference to the ergo cogito sum, "I think therefore I am", connecting to Vincent's search for self discovery within the show.

If they wanted us to grasp the reference, they could at least have spared us some obliqueness by calling it "Cogito Proxy". It could only have been worse if "Sum Proxy" had been chosen...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Caligula A science fiction anime starring a misguided virtual idol has little to nothing in common with the depraved Roman Emperor. Caligula's name draws up a lot of very specific images on self-absorption and sexual perversion,

And if you're the right age, it brings up specific images of something else, causing one to do double-takes and think, "Wait, they're showing THAT?? Shocked "

As for favorite cat-girl, have go with first experiences: Back when anime was first new, and still coming over with laserdiscs and untranslated VHS, first exposure to the Japanese phenomenon of feline hybrids--apart from the cat-eared ecchi-scifi Battia from an LD of Outlanders--was the cheerily psycho-kitty Ryukia from Villgust, and I remember the general reaction of "....What?? Confused " (Not a bad reaction, but still one nevertheless.)

Oh, and "Polly Esther" from Samurai Pizza Cats is "Pururun", if you don't mind...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4